Migraines.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Been having this issue forever basically however for the last month or so I have been getting a migraine after EVERY ride. I have always known that going outside without sunglasses seems to trigger them in me, but i make sure that i have some good quality glasses with me at all times now to alleviate that. Probably more of a question for the experts, but on the off chance that someone on here may be able to give me an idea of the real cause/solution I figured there was no harm in asking.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It could be dehydration, drink heaps of water, look into magnesium and electrolytes supplements.

Last edited:

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been having this issue forever basically however for the last month or so I have been getting a migraine after EVERY ride. I have always known that going outside without sunglasses seems to trigger them in me, but i make sure that i have some good quality glasses with me at all times now to alleviate that. Probably more of a question for the experts, but on the off chance that someone on here may be able to give me an idea of the real cause/solution I figured there was no harm in asking.
Ive suffered them forever too. Have you been to an osteopath or anyone like that to get your neck/back sorted out? I found that a readjustment stopped my weekly post ride migraines.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Look at your diet for starters and get rid of any processed foods also like others have said hydrate well and do plenty of stretching pre and post ride. Warm your neck up by putting your chin to your chest and pushing backwards if that makes sense.
Since moving to a "real food" diet with nothing processed I've not had an ailment since. I've had way more energy and sleep than ever before.
Be aware of you body temp and the change in temp as this, along with bright lights/visual over stimulation are my triggers too.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup, dehydration bud - Took me years to work it out too.

Definitely get into magnesium tablets and these days I don't even bother drinking water unless I run out of the electrolytes, not too sure why why exactly but ive worked out the hard way that water does nothing.

Sucks you get em - such a bastard of a thing to go through!

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Ive suffered them forever too. Have you been to an osteopath or anyone like that to get your neck/back sorted out? I found that a readjustment stopped my weekly post ride migraines.
I see a chiro weekly and he tinkers with my neck everytime telling me its pretty tight.

As for hydration i already drink the Endura Rehydration mix while riding :/

moorey

call me Mia
Sounds more like posture if you're drinking heaps. I get them lots after breaking necks years ago. People saying water does nothing are full of it.

And ditch the witch doctor chiro.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I see a chiro weekly and he tinkers with my neck everytime telling me its pretty tight.

As for hydration i already drink the Endura Rehydration mix while riding :/
Drink it before you ride also, sometimes you can't replenish it fast enough as you ride. Try using a foam roller and a spike ball on your back and neck.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Sounds more like posture if you're drinking heaps. I get them lots after breaking necks years ago. People saying water does nothing are full of it.

already have :thumb: i do think he helped with my shoulder recovery a little but his usefullness has expired now

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I was talking about my personal experience Moorey after years of migraines and trying different things to fix the problem, how the hell would you know?

Whatever you try, keep a bit of a quick diary so you can remember whats going on and hopefully you can stamp them out fast!

moorey

call me Mia
I was talking about my personal experience Moorey after years of migraines and trying different things to fix the problem, how the hell would you know?

Whatever you try, keep a bit of a quick diary so you can remember whats going on and hopefully you can stamp them out fast!
Cool your jets. You weren't clear on that. Personally, I reckon there's a lot of placebo effect in people's reliance on magnesium and electrolytes. Again, just my 2c

moorey

call me Mia
Wow

please explain ?
Not dismissing them. Tried them. Didn't help me. I know with me, if I start to think, "I'm going to get a shitty head after this", I most likely will. If I haven't thought about it, I generally dont. A completely unscientific assessment.
More to the point, I thought, wrongly, the earlier connect suggested water is useless, only supplements and electrolytes work. I know people who say that. I disagree.
Side point, we are focussing on migraines from riding. Many of us get just as many that aren't exercise related. They aren't hydration related in the slightest in my case.

darsh

Likes Dirt
Not dismissing them. Tried them. Didn't help me. I know with me, if I start to think, "I'm going to get a shitty head after this", I most likely will. If I haven't thought about it, I generally dont. A completely unscientific assessment.
More to the point, I thought, wrongly, the earlier connect suggested water is useless, only supplements and electrolytes work. I know people who say that. I disagree.
Side point, we are focussing on migraines from riding. Many of us get just as many that aren't exercise related. They aren't hydration related in the slightest in my case.
cheers

would still persist with magnesium, such an important mineral. a common trigger for migraine is magnesium deficiency

moorey

call me Mia
cheers

would still persist with magnesium, such an important mineral. a common trigger for migraine is magnesium deficiency
I tried magnesium supplements for 6 weeks leading up to a 6hr race recently. I've never cramped so bad or so early, and my headaches (only occasional migraines) leading up to the race were regular as ever. With me, it's 3-5 days straight, 6-8 days off with headaches, rince and repeat. How else do you think I remain so grumpy?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I used to suffer from a lot of cramps post rides and magnesium tablets worked for me, I bought the biggest ones you could buy, the little ones (250mg) done nothing for me.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I never suffered from cramping until i got on the road bike and i swear by the endura for curing that, however i mainly use it so i dont have to drink so often on the mtb. Theres nothing worse than fumbling around with the bite tube and almost losing your shit hitting a bump halfway up a techy climb.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'm getting heaps of headaches at the moment. I'm really not sure what the triggers are for me anymore. Certainly hydration is in there. Light is a biggie. Do you wear glasses by the way? If so, when did you last get your eyes checked? Do you drink alcohol? That's a good trigger for me. If I've had a couple of vinos the night before. Doesn't have to be much. I normally know before I go if I'm going to have a problem so I take a couple of nurofen plus before I start. Good luck buddy it's different for everyone I reckon.
I too swear by electrolytes with mag. I take mag supplements too. I wonder if that brings on headaches. I'll look into that now...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Keeping to "migraine".

Yes, get professional advice from someone who has been to medical school. Pretty common advice is to try keeping an accurate diary to try and find triggers.

BUT, these things can also be unexplainable with no obvious trigger and you simply don't see them for months or years then they return with no apparent cause. Well that's my understanding, and I haven't spent 9 years studying so what would I know.