Middle aged, calm and happy with dropper post issues

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm stuck in the middle. Too young for the old fellas and too old for the young blokes
Poor Rolly- this thread is for old folks that aint bitter and twisted and jaded and mad at the world cause their life is half gone and they havent achieved much

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Apparently....going by studies into mens mental health as a male your early 30s are when you feel most satisfied with life.....and your late 40s when you don't...

I can identify with that.
I read an interview with Max Commencal about starting his business at 45 ... he essentially said "@ 45 I felt I was at my strongest ... " I read this as Financially and influentially @ his strongest ... I can relate to this.

I think I'm at my best right now ... under paid, over worked, but loving life. I miss the moola from my corporate life, but "ownership" for lack of a better word of all aspects of running a business is exactly what I was missing in my previous life. Love the daily interaction with customers, the multiple problems (from warehousing, supplier management, error management, process improvement etc), the continual learning and incremental improvement ... it all tests my years of work life experience.

I'm lucky in that home life is awesome. In the end the wife and kids is why you kill yourself and try to get ahead. But I'm also lucky in that I've been able to attract some very talented, hard working, intelligent, motivated peeps to work with and this combination of work and life is just icing at present.

But the cake is that I know how to use a dropper ... lol ... trendy cool kid at 45 ... love it.

Optional reading OT ... droppers
tips for the dropper challenged => infinite adjustment is there for a reason ... doesn't have to be fully up or down ... you should try to use every part of the post's travel ... Learn to use your remote to feather the height of your post. The importance of a good remote is sooo over looked, everybody just focuses on where the cable is located, and how long you can survive without doing any maintenance (more lols)

Some aspects to consider/ try.
For XC, be it HT or FS ... try powering around long sweeping corners with the post dropped 2 or 3 cm ... makes a massive difference to your control/comfort without overly sacrificing pedalling efficiency.

Similarly try any technical thing you would normally ride with the seat up with the seat slightly down (say 30%) ... you still get the saddle near your thighs for control, but you will have a slightly lower centre when needed to get off the back. If you are like me you will quickly be dropping it on everything and finding your XC rig is more like a 4X machine which just lifts the fun factor

For the 24hour marathon rider => try altering your post height just marginally (1 to 2 cm) to change your pedal stroke and rest muscles.
I also believe this is an application in road riding we will see as carbon posts get out and about and even lighter. It will also help the less confident descender, and or allow for more comfortable wind tacks. But even better, its another awesome tool to annoy the road elite ... I'll have a dropper on my disc equipped roadie to match my baggy shorts, peaked lid, MTB shoes / pedals and hairy legs.

For the trail rider => try not dropping your post all the way down, all the time ... you don't have your post slammed on your DH rig so don't slam it on your trail rig. Sure its faster in panic situations ... but more often then not you know whats coming up so drop your post then adjust it up before you get to the section.

Anyway, apologies ... I <3 droppers.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The only dropper I have is on my office chair...and on the rare occasions I try to adjust it I damn near fall off the chair. Just the idea of putting one on the XC bike is enough to cause an accident.

Vine planting with a bunch of similarly wine soaked middle aged geriatrics over the weekend went well. The only one who pulled up better than me after digging and filling over 800 holes on a hillside with riesling grape vines was a certain under five lad who spent much of the time trundling up and down the hill delivering vines to holes, collecting empty pots, telling stories and finding old sheep bones...he was exhausting just to watch!

moorey

call me Mia
none I cant see.......................................

really 7 of em

how did you ever survive the 80s and 90s riding your bicycle off road
Only started in the mid 90's. Always slammed, for everything. :woot:
(actually, it's 9,now I think of it, but 2 don't count, as one if a Joplin that only works for 3 minutes after a rebuild, and one I'd a maverick...see previous statement)

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I've got the whole dropper post thing! y'know, getting all middle aged, the old trouser post isn't as thompson-like as it used to be - and well, it harshes the buzz to be out fangin' around like 15 year olds and get a constant reminder...

personally, I'm fine with dropper posts here :) And moorey.. the man has a bag. hide your cat, sheep, goats AND daughters...

Beej1

I liked reading this thread. Had a feeling a lot of you were around my age. A lot of the posts have a lot in common - besides our two-wheeled obsession. I find that interesting. Even more so when I think about how different some burners I've met are than their online personas.

I'll be 40 in Feb next year. I don't feel 40. I think of my dad when I was a kid and he was way less active at 40. But he'd been a type 1 diabetic since age 10 and had the shit bombed out of him in Coventry as a baby. He wasn't sposed to make it to 30 on pig insulin so I'm grateful he made it to his mid/late 60's. Still miss him heaps.

He worked a job he didn't like for as long as I could remember. I've been doing that for nearly a decade. I feel I owe it to my kids past, present and future to break that cycle. Its a work in progress ... but moving. Glacial progress is still progress. Thankfully I have better health on my side than old Bob.

I love kids. Mine. My friends'. All of them. I think raising and educating and treasuring them is the most important and undervalued thing in the world. If our situation could work I'd be a full time dad. But we can't make it work so I treasure every second I can get and listen to my little girl go Dadadada and yayayayaya and gagagagaga (I'm sure Mamamama is only a few consonants away) and feed her and read to her and tell her about her special twin big sisters she'll never get to meet, but who left such an enormous impression in such a short space of time.

Mountain biking has literally helped me survive (along with therapy, love & support from family, friends etc). You're never quite the same, I'm told. Which is OK. But flying down a hill at warp speed with trees inches away, or even just riding with mates ... its up there with listening to Dadadadada for sure in terms of feeling awesome again. I love riding MTB, reading about it, tinkering, talking, watching vids. Its such an awesome sport.

And dropper posts are the bomb.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
nice post bloke. it's things like that make the thought of having kids past 40 seem not so daunting. cheers. :thumb:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
nice post bloke. it's things like that make the thought of having kids past 40 seem not so daunting. cheers. :thumb:
agreed

amazingly insightful post NP. I am sorry for your inconceivable loss and your daughter is a gift. You never get over a loss like that is can be managed- you are working towards that. I tend to think personally that these major events do guide us to be the people we should be- to reach our true worth/ capability. I am a much better person for being a father and for working through the epic events in my life.

you also right that we are often different in person than online. Why is that?

moorey

call me Mia
I think most people just exaggerate their persona online. Personally, I'm prolly an even bigger jackass in the flesh :woot:

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Ok so..... im not 40.... im 28.... but if you saw me walk around and my grey hair you mightithink otherwise.

I have a beautiful wife that I adore :) shes even mildly tolerant of my dh obsession which is a bonus. A son whos almost 2. Hes my world and he loves bikes. Actually he loves anything I do. Its amazing when I cone home from work and he runs up to me screaming daddy daddy daddy from the other end of the house just to get a hug.

I have a house :) and lots of bikes so no money but we budget so there is stress but its managed. I do how ever love my job. Been a sparky for about 8 years. Started in domestic work. Got bored of that and ive spent the last 4 years working on some massive machines. Mostly In the paper industry so paper presses or de inking or pulping etc we do it all. Its pretty cool. Long hours suck at times but the works good.

I too am antisocial. And never have enough time to ride. But ill get there. Son gets his first balance bike soon so that will help :)

Oh abd yay for dropper posts

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
Ok here goes!

I'm 37 (38 shortly) but feel 21... Got into biking properly only about 2 years back after getting out of recreational scuba diving. I needed another hobby which was "less risky". Sold the gear and converted it into a bike. Then another bike...

I've got three wonderful little kids (5, 3 & 1) and a wife who supports my habits as it has facilitated my dropping about 17 kilos in the last 12 months.

My little boy learned to ride without trainer wheels last weekend - very proud moment but such an anticlimax! We went to the park, took off the trainer wheels and helped him get his balance then scoot! He's off and rode around for ages without issue. Here was me expecting to be running along behind for a week, holding him up... but no. So proud!

Honestly, I think I got into this later than I should have. I've got the family to worry about so I tend not to go 100% but think that its when you back off that you get hurt... still learning that lesson.

One more thing... I've had the snip and I did it under the local rather than the full zzz option. Had it done on the Thursday afternoon, smashed out some k's on a trainer on the Tuesday evening. On the bike a few days later and not looked back.

I like to tinker with the bike almost as much as I like to ride. Love it when the family is at the start and/or finish of an event.

Work to live.

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
Weirdness... yes. You lay there with a green sheet over you with a hole cut in it airing your bits as nurses walk in an out like you're not there.

That aside, the worst part of the whole operation from start to finish and also the healing was the needle at the beginning. Everything else was "mild" and grossly exaggerated by others.

Yes, the healing was a little tender and some bruising etc but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Its 12 weeks since the op and other than two little scars there is nothing to speak of.

I think the awkward bit will be tomorrow what I need to drop a post op sample off and need to write when it was collected... (in the car outside the office?!)

My recommendation - do not... DO NOT consider the clinic with the purported "no cut" option. Its a lie. I went to a Urologist and recommend people considering it do the same.