Media file format converter thingy

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Is there any program I can download that I can use to change say, a .mov file into a .mpg file?
And are there specific VCD CD's which you can use with a regular burner?
Cheers

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'm far from knowledgeable, but isn't a VCD just a CD formatted for use in a VCD player? I thought any CD-R should be compatable?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
wombat said:
I'm far from knowledgeable, but isn't a VCD just a CD formatted for use in a VCD player? I thought any CD-R should be compatable?
Yea, CD-R's work fine, I just thought there might have been proper VCD's which give a better quality picture..

Agent Orange

Likes Dirt
dvd players that read vcd's also generally read mp3 and jpg cd's too, if i remember most vcd's are formatted in a motion jpeg format also, or avi. it's just what a dvd player can read, it is not actually the cd that is formatted in any particular way. The dvd player reads a file just like an mp3.
I'm all over teh place, but do you know what I mean?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Yea, I get your drift..
I cant find any converters that change .mov to a VCD compatible format tho, which is really what I need. :(

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i tryed burning dropin season 1 off my computer to a cd for backup but it didnt work. if it matters i use nero 5.

i go to what i think are all the right things but it still doesnt work. is it because it is a .wmv . i seem to be able to put quicktime movies on though.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Thats strange, I use nero and can burn .mpg's and .wmvs fine, but I cant do quicktime files at all..
Does it seem like its frozen when its encoding? If it is you just have to leave it for a LONG time and it will eventually finnish encoding. For one movie I think it took about 6 hours to encode, then about 5 minutes to burn :?

Agent Orange

Likes Dirt
ok use a converter to make it into an mpeg or an avi file, then use your dvd/vcd authoring program such as nero to make your vcd.
if you can burn mpeg's to vcd then you can burn your moc. once it is converted to mpeg can't you?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
2stepin said:
ok use a converter to make it into an mpeg or an avi file, then use your dvd/vcd authoring program such as nero to make your vcd.
if you can burn mpeg's to vcd then you can burn your moc. once it is converted to mpeg can't you?
The problem is I cant find a converter to change a .mov quicktime file into a mpg or .wmv. Maybe it has something to do with .mov files been for apple computors?
If I could change them into .mpg files then I could burn them easily..

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can use premiere and import the .mov file, then export it as either an mpeg2 file to burn onto vcd. Otherwise if you feel like doing some scouring on the net look for "Sorenson Squeeze" or "Discreet Cleaner". They are the two best (and most expensive) programs to do anything related to encoding. Now of course I am not suggesting you download illegal copies of this software.... :evil: