maydena's trail conditions

clockworked

Like an orange
I reckon we should keep a log of trail conditions at maydena so people know when to visit, or not.

I've been up there twice in the last two months, and a bunch of times jan-march this year. The maintenance on the upper trails (particularly the compulsory trails skyline, tea trees and pandani) has been very poor this year. Most of blue grade runs are really flogged too.
There are ruts on pandani (a major feeder trail) that i watched develop at the last national enduro round! Moss boss has a tree down that could build a house.

If you're local and you know the trails it isn't all bad because a lot of the black and double black is still reasonable, but that could be too steep of a learning curve for interstate visitors.

There is a lot of construction going on lower on the hill, but at the moment most of the park appears to have no regular maintenance. Personally, I won't be going back until i hear things have improved.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
That's a good point. I first visited in April last year, then again in November. There were significant differences in the top of the hill between those two visits.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I rode it in the Tas Gravity Enduro round two weeks ago and thought that most of the trails we rode were pretty good.
Skyline and Pandani are rough and rocky but I still think they are good to ride. it's the kind of trail that they are.
Beach Babe, Waratah, Tinder, Outer Limits, Wedge Tail, Wicked Styx, Scandinavia, Handi Skandi, Tyenna, Moss Death, The Local, and Funky Cold Maydena were all riding great.
The only ones that we rode that I thought really needed some love, were Supercross, Super Funk and South Crescent. Being a more flow jump trails they kind of need to be reasonably smooth and there were quite a few big holes in the berms on Super Funk and Supercross or lots of weeds overgrowing it like on South Crescent.
And for once it was totally dry!

tobbogonist

a registered member
Strangley enough, going with what you said, i was on a plane coming back from tas earlier in the week. A bloke and his son where sitting behind me talking about their week riding in tas and they where chatting about the very same thing.
They put it down to covid and where already planning their secon trip.

clockworked

Like an orange
I rode it in the Tas Gravity Enduro round two weeks ago and thought that most of the trails we rode were pretty good.
Skyline and Pandani are rough and rocky but I still think they are good to ride. it's the kind of trail that they are.
Beach Babe, Waratah, Tinder, Outer Limits, Wedge Tail, Wicked Styx, Scandinavia, Handi Skandi, Tyenna, Moss Death, The Local, and Funky Cold Maydena were all riding great.
The only ones that we rode that I thought really needed some love, were Supercross, Super Funk and South Crescent. Being a more flow jump trails they kind of need to be reasonably smooth and there were quite a few big holes in the berms on Super Funk and Supercross or lots of weeds overgrowing it like on South Crescent.
And for once it was totally dry!
Oh right?
Well it was dry yesty, so i spent my whole day over on th usually wet westside and only ran down the eastside onc3 to check out the wilderness trail.
Tinder was ok yesty. Moss def was good, so was the local
Beech babe and waratah were stuffed a month ago

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I'm just happy being there when it's not raining. o_O 3rd trip in Jan ... trying to type with all crossed fingers.

Looks like they put a tonne of work into the Local which needed love, and a few new trails.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Covid, like they weren't allowed to work or there was no money coming in so no maintenance?
I think it was just a general putting a reason to something. There is a lot of that going around.
All that aside Tasmania is booming. I was on the nw coast and there were people everywhere. Dad owns an icecream shop in burnie and trade is up. The visit your own state campaign seems to have worked. Cant wait to move back next year and hit up all the trails.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Covid, like they weren't allowed to work or there was no money coming in so no maintenance?
They built Giddy Up, a new climbing trail from the bottom, the Green Mile descent, Moss Def the new tech trail, Tyenna got a major realignment, Colour Blind got a full makeover and Skyline got some work done too.
I also saw that they are building a big dirt jump area down near the bottom.
Definitely wouldn't say they haven't done anything and I'm sure being a commercially run park, there's a fine line between spending to much dollars on maintenance and not being able to pay the bills and keeping the trails in good enough condition so it is a good experience for their customers.
Anyone that has seen Whistler at the end of season will know that the popular trails are wrecked and full of huge braking bumps and massive holes in the berms. They only get fixed once the season ends.
If you go to Maydena you have to expect a rougher, more raw style of trail, they do have some smooth stuff but most is the latter.
I don't get down there often enough but I really like it. It lifts you game a bit and it's different.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
If you go to Maydena you have to expect a rougher, more raw style of trail, they do have some smooth stuff but most is in the later.
I don't get down there often enough but I really like it. It lifts you game a bit and it's different.
This. I'm no gun rider, but enjoyed how rugged it is and spots, and how it naturally degraded over the course of the Nationals.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They build Giddy Up, a new climbing trail from the bottom, the Green Mile descent, Moss Def the new tech trail, Tyenna got a major realignment, Colour Blind got a full makeover and Skyline got some work done too.
I also saw that they are building a big dirt jump area down near the bottom.
Definitely wouldn't say they haven't done anything and I'm sure being a commercially run park, there's a fine line between spending to much dollars on maintenance and not being able to pay the bills and keeping the trails in good enough condition so it is a good experience for their customers.
Anyone that has seen Whistler at the end of season will know that the popular trails are wrecked and full of huge braking bumps and huge holes in the berms. They only get fixed once the season ends.
If you go to Maydena you have to expect a rougher, more raw style of trail, they do have some smooth stuff but most is in the later.
Totally understand, just interesting to note that at a time when customers would be quite few and far between, we have had 2 different people say they won't go back until something is done.

I haven't been yet but have heard that it is amazing, for the very reason you've outlined.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Booked my flights for 26th feb for 3 nights. Love Maydena, can’t get enough of it! Keen to see what changes they’ve made. Hope they put more of a flow trail in along the first section, my hands got pretty beat up by all those rocks on each run.

clockworked

Like an orange
I've been to whistler in September and it was in way better condition than maydena is now.
The green mile is not ready. I looked at that after the wilderness trail.
Their social media makes things look a lot more maintained than they actually are.

onawave

Squid
I've been to whistler in September and it was in way better condition than maydena is now.
The green mile is not ready. I looked at that after the wilderness trail.
Their social media makes things look a lot more maintained than they actually are.
when were you there?

a few of us heading down late feb. I've been there twice before - and love the tech there. but flowy stuff too I wouldn't mind.

deano

Likes Dirt
There are some legit tracks in there, imagine there will be some folks freaking/sooking/walking/frothing

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk