Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yes! I got a quarter of the shed to convert for bike maintenance once it's been closed in and the flashing is done.

It's not a lot of room but should be enough for the bike stand, tyres and stuff. Oh and a bar fridge for beer and Stans :)

Staunch

Eats Squid
I agree with you re: park tools stuff. Usually poorly made Allen key with a premium price. Same goes for a few of the stands. But the absolute best workshop stands are the Park deluxe series clamps. Wall or bench mounted and it’ll be the last stand you’ll buy.
I see your clamp and raise you the 4W-2

In my experience the one I've linked is far superior. At my old workplace we had both, and the 4W-2 (above) shits on the 4W-1.
  • Much smaller jaws to save you constantly having to adjust seat heights to fit posts in the clamp
  • A shitton quicker to adjust the clamping diameter of jaws, and you can do it one handed after clamping the jaws closed to get a tight grip. This is opposed to having to mess around and re-adjust the 4W-1 multiple times while the jaws are open to get the right pressure.
  • If you're working on any funky frames/small bikes, the handle of the 4W-1 can contact the bike/frame when you open it, making it more of a pain to mount/remove bikes as this affects how easy it is to fully open.
  • You may not experience this in a home workshop, but we fatigued and bent the rod that controls the jaw width on the 4W-1 on multiple clamps. To be fully honest we probably over-tighted the clamp on a few occasions, but the 4W-2s have managed with the same demands no worries. You may not be abusing it and/or opening/closing it 30+ times a day every day, but it was disappointing to see from 'workshop' quality tools.

This is probably the most pedantic post I've ever made, but if you're spending $400 plus on a workstand clamp set up, you might as well buy the superior one.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I don't know what that means, but taking a guess, I'd suggest that mine may not be of sufficient mass to leave an imprint in the concrete .... maybe @MasterOfReality can try it out.
I may be rapidly heading towards middle age but I'm not that heavy yet!

It went hard pretty quick, the guys took the formwork off the same day and one guy was all over it with the helicopter.

Even watered it this morning, feel so ethnic now. I told my missus its a thing of beauty and she just looked at me weird.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hey folks this thread has finally given me the bump to do something about the bicycles piled up in the garage.

I have a modest double and one car space equivalent to play with. 5 bikes to fit. The caveat is that I need to also fit a concept 2 rower, half squat rack and space to do deadlifts and shit. I've played around with the configuration a bit and best way is to sacrifice 3.8m of a 6m wall to wall hang the bikes in a 2x2 pattern and the other bike will go somewhere else (top of oven?). Anyway, I was looking at that duth guys dream garage and really liked the wall hanging solution so bought some $100 for 4 sets. Was about to use them and then came across this: https://artikodesigns.com/product/gladiator-rack/. Obviously super pricey and I'll probably have a go making something myself. But I like the idea of having shelves for all my kit etc. It will eat into the depth a bit but it shouldn't be a problem.

TLDR. Is this thing good and space efficient or should i do the dutchmans stlye of mounting?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Under AS3000 warning tape shall to be laid above the conduit. If you concrete over the cable that still condition applies just the depth of the trench can vary.