long shot..do you have a T70 socket?

As The title says,
I need to replace my gearbox oil on my Subaru and need a T70 socket to do the job
Any one in Sydney or better the central coast that could lend me one?
Can pick up if close or meet somewhere.
P.m me please

Regards

S.

camo71

Likes Dirt
You can buy one from a proper tool shop for around $8 , get one that suits a 1/2 inch drive bar/ ratchet etc . It's called a torx bit btw .

You can buy one from a proper tool shop for around $8 , get one that suits a 1/2 inch drive bar/ ratchet etc . It's called a torx bit btw .
yes I do know that, wana leed me to a shop that has them in stock or has them at all?
tried with no luck so far: super cheap auto, repco, burson auto, bunnings and local auto repair shop...

just sending it out maybe someone has a personal one that I could borrow, I don't want to wait a week for it to be ordered.
would like to do the gearbox this weekend as it needs it.

thanks anyways

hathill

Likes Dirt
Note that he said "proper tool shop"..................:faint2:
Maybe these guys http://www.gasweld.com.au/ - there's one in Gosford.

yes I do know that, wana leed me to a shop that has them in stock or has them at all?
tried with no luck so far: super cheap auto, repco, burson auto, bunnings and local auto repair shop...

just sending it out maybe someone has a personal one that I could borrow, I don't want to wait a week for it to be ordered.

thanks anyways

Last edited:

camo71

Likes Dirt

thanks anyways
No worries , like I said a tool shop , somewhere that specifically sells tools not auto parts . Also for your info if its a 5 speed and your having trouble with synchros / notchiness you may want to google the " andrewtech cocktail " just did mine last week at its great , despite around a 3.7 litre capacity only around 3 litres will drain so you can get away with 1 litre of motul 300 and 2 quarts of redline , I bought 3 and did the diff as well ( which is a 13mm plug) but a half inch drive drive does the job . Though you won't get that combo of oil from super/ Repco / autobarn either . Pm if your want detail on where to buy ( its around $125 delivered all up so not cheap , but if your gearbox has seen better days its unbeatable . Have fun .

No worries , like I said a tool shop , somewhere that specifically sells tools not auto parts . Also for your info if its a 5 speed and your having trouble with synchros / notchiness you may want to google the " andrewtech cocktail " just did mine last week at its great , despite around a 3.7 litre capacity only around 3 litres will drain so you can get away with 1 litre of motul 300 and 2 quarts of redline , I bought 3 and did the diff as well ( which is a 13mm plug) but a half inch drive drive does the job . Though you won't get that combo of oil from super/ Repco / autobarn either . Pm if your want detail on where to buy ( its around $125 delivered all up so not cheap , but if your gearbox has seen better days its unbeatable . Have fun .
Thanks for the info,
First time I'm doing anything like this. We purchased the car a few weeks ago and I don't trust the douche bags we brought it off. They said they made a service on the motor but I think they only changed the engine oil and filters if that at all...
I pulled out the cabin air filter today and replaced that and boy was that filthy, hadn't been done for some time.
As well I changed the air filter and got the rear diff done (hopefully I have enough oil in there, yes it was dripping out-top plug)
Next week I will get to the front diff and gears, at the moment I only have NULON smooth shift 75W-90 will give this a go and when I get some funds then try the blend the you have mentioned.

What Subie are you driving too?

Thanks again for the help

camo71

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info,
First time I'm doing anything like this. We purchased the car a few weeks ago and I don't trust the douche bags we brought it off. They said they made a service on the motor but I think they only changed the engine oil and filters if that at all...
I pulled out the cabin air filter today and replaced that and boy was that filthy, hadn't been done for some time.
As well I changed the air filter and got the rear diff done (hopefully I have enough oil in there, yes it was dripping out-top plug)
Next week I will get to the front diff and gears, at the moment I only have NULON smooth shift 75W-90 will give this a go and when I get some funds then try the blend the you have mentioned.

What Subie are you driving too?

Thanks again for the help
No worries , definatly a good idea when getting a new car , might pay to remove the passenger side timing belt cover and have a look at the belt if you unsure on service history , its usually just the two 10mm bolts for the coolant overflow and another 4 holding the cover on that just slides off , you can at least get a rough idea how that looks and make sure there's no oil leaking onto it .
I've used the nulon before and its fine if there's no issues with the box , they can be pretty notchy and hard to get first etc that's when I'd look at the blend .
Yeh diff sounds good , that's full (.8litre) . It's good if you can do most of own servicing , the upper engine cleaner , and fuel additive can be bought off eBay at around half price or less .
I've been into the Subarus for awhile now and have a My 04 XT Forester . What have you picked up ?

Will do the timing belt check for sure, brought the car with 151k's along with a ticking noise. Took it back after I double checked with a Subaru mechanic (piston slapping, and thats after the sales man said it would only be a stuck lifter funny thing is that there is no lifters.....) now it has a second motor with what they say is 50/54k's BT yeah I want to check everything I can now. I'm enjoying the learning experience too.

And it a 2006 liberty wagon 2.5l n/a

camo71

Likes Dirt
Will do the timing belt check for sure, brought the car with 151k's along with a ticking noise. Took it back after I double checked with a Subaru mechanic (piston slapping, and thats after the sales man said it would only be a stuck lifter funny thing is that there is no lifters.....) now it has a second motor with what they say is 50/54k's BT yeah I want to check everything I can now. I'm enjoying the learning experience too.

And it a 2006 liberty wagon 2.5l n/a
I got into my last Subie cheap and the guy said the belt and cam seals were done but with the rest of the cars service history as it was , that was highly unlikely .. So I just used to check the belt every service , if that let's go that's pretty much a cactus motor . Hopefully you'll be right for awhile with those sort of k's ..
Nice pick up , we have an 04 n/a Liberty as well .. Good , safe and reliable car . Hope it works out well for you ..

Cheers and a big thanks to Hathill on the recommendation for Gasweld, picked up my T70 socket this arvo.
ordering some Motul oil tonight and maybe some other cleaners.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I got into my last Subie cheap and the guy said the belt and cam seals were done but with the rest of the cars service history as it was , that was highly unlikely .. So I just used to check the belt every service , if that let's go that's pretty much a cactus motor . Hopefully you'll be right for awhile with those sort of k's ..
Nice pick up , we have an 04 n/a Liberty as well .. Good , safe and reliable car . Hope it works out well for you ..
Just out of curiosity how are you checking the belt? From what I've seen you pretty much need to pull the engine out of the car to get near the belt but if there's an easier way I'd really like to know :)

camo71

Likes Dirt
No , on most models I've looked at , all you do is undo the two coolant overflow bolts and pull the return hose out then lift the bottle out , then undo the 4 x 10 mm bolts holding the passenger side belt cover ( the black plastic cover ) then slide it towards the radiator and remove , you can then see the belt ..that's for the dohc turbo , looks like only 3 bolts on the sohc n/a and probably enough room to take out without even removing the overflow .. You can also start the car or blip the key to check it over for wear or oil marks from leaky cam seals .. Only takes 10mins or so all up .

Last edited: