Little Things You Hate

driftking

Wheel size expert
When an F1 car is retired it sits in the display hall of a rich collector. When a racehorse retires it usually spends the rest of its days shagging for a lot of money (or being shagged in the case of a mare) and were it not for F1 that car would never have been built. Same goes for the horse.

There are strong arguments on both side - it can certainly be a cruel sport and I think steeplechases are definitely a step too far - but these horses would never exist in the first place if it weren't for racing. If they were sentient enough to talk like that Mr Ed or Camilla Parker Bowles I'm sure they'd tell you that they'd rather have the risks and the rewards of racing than certain oblivion.
Good points, although still doesn't dismiss that the life of a car is very low due to how hard it is pushed. Unlike a horse though you can replace car parts.

The issue is that it crosses the line when you bring it over from mechanical to living.
Although we breed animals for food too so where do you draw the line, we can live without meat so necessity isn't the strongest argument.
The sport and the breeding all comes down to money, the question is, is the money worth the number of horses who die and get injured.

From what I have read and I have no idea how true it is, around 40 to 70% of horses have been reported to have blood in the trachea following a single post-race examination. and 70-100% have experienced bleeding of the lungs during racing or training. So when we put the death issue aside there are other issues that seems to appear as well which may be reason enough to warrant a second look at the sport.

But its money and there is lots in it so like smoking its highly unlikely that its ever going to get banned it brings too much in.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Who says the horses don't enjoy racing? Unless you're a horse whisperer and mates with Robert Redford. What about all the abused animals the RSPCA has to rescue. These race horses are probably the most cared for animals in the world. Better born a racehorse than the poor bastard that pulls a plough in a 3rd world country and never gets fed. Go do some work for the RSPCA if you really want to make a difference I say.... Opposed to internet rants..
Not to prolong this argument to much in the wrong thread.

I'd say the horse don't enjoy it because they have to be whipped to make them go faster. Please don't anyone chime in with the BS that they don't hit the horse they just flick it past the horses eye etc. Though I do enjoy when the jockeys hit each other with the whip, they're angry little people.

Horses are just as lazy as any other animal, they love a sunbake and a roll in the hay. You don't ever see them running round in a large pack racing each other in a circle.

Beej1

Sometimes I think there should be a place that idiots all get to go and live together in. Then I realize there is a fair chance there already is and it I live there.
The part that's gurt by sea? Yeah ... I live there too. If you find an idiot free country I'd really like to hear of it. Heck I'll settle for an idiot free train car one day a year.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I just don't like it because it gives fucking stupid people another opportunity to be fucking stupid. I witnessed and amazing "fight" this evening. I couldn't figure if it was over a girl or a taxi. There was a bunch of female yelling, a short muscley fellow running, a slightly bigger fellow being macho man, a panicked taxi driver, and a lot of onlookers. The little guy couldn't decide if he wanted to run away from the fight or into the fight. There was a few punches and suddenly I was closer than I needed to be. Being a small town it seems a few people knew people and now there was 6 guys being macho, the taxi drove off and the girl disappeared. I figured it was home time.

I think the only worse days are Anzac day, origin nights and finals days. Sometimes I think there should be a place that idiots all get to go and live together in. Then I realize there is a fair chance there already is and it I live there.

Dude, you have too much love to give to be a hater. You just need the right chick :rolleyes:

DMan

I'd say the horse don't enjoy it because they have to be whipped to make them go faster. Please don't anyone chime in with the BS that they don't hit the horse they just flick it past the horses eye etc. Though I do enjoy when the jockeys hit each other with the whip, they're angry little people.

Horses are just as lazy as any other animal, they love a sunbake and a roll in the hay. You don't ever see them running round in a large pack racing each other in a circle.

Lol. So you are a horse whisperer!! Wouldn't you be too if you'd had one bread crust for a year and shit water for the last 6 months. And you have to have a squeaky voice. And yes you do actually. Maybe not in a circle. I have seen boy horses riding girl horses too.... So they like being ridden it seems. That's an assumption mind you. It's just you live in the city. Probably. Possibly. Anyway this is a non ending argument with no winners. Let's get onto something better. After Driftkings arguments I now think we should ban F1. It think it's incessantly cruel to those cars now! :behindsofa:

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Dude...wild brumbies are always running around in big packs. Perhaps not in a circle though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Dude, you have too much love to give to be a hater. You just need the right chick :rolleyes:
So far he's been looking on the wrong side of the street in Mayfield.:behindsofa:
Is that where the bad girls live? Sorry man I have no idea about Mayfield...
Today is a new day and happiness is king! When I finish this coffee in going for a ride.

There's no such thing as a bad girl...

DMan

Today is a new day and happiness is king! When I finish this coffee in going for a ride.

There's no such thing as a bad girl...
You my fiend, I mean friend, are today a god. We, being all stuck in bulidings, will be living through you. Rock those trails. Good bad girl hunting.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Bah! Don't worry about the racing industry, we can't forget that the real danger to horses' wellbeing is Darryl Braithwaite.

stirk

Burner
LTIH: Moving house! 4 weeks of good of times ahead.

Its amazing how much crap you accumulate over a few years in one joint.