Little Things You Hate

scuba05

Likes Dirt
LTIH, when trying to staple a few too many pages together, and the staple just does that curly thing.

Like this:
20101103-sucky-stapler-rage.jpg

EDIT: Due to this, my assignment has as many holes as the French Navy

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
People who ask indirect questions like, "oh, we missed you last night?…" 'We missed you last night' is supposed to be a statement not a question. Currently putting off answering that because I know that if I tell the truth I'll be able to map the spread of that information flying through the ether as soon as I hang up the phone.
But what I hate more is that I seem to be incapable of just not giving a shit about other people's opinions, not even just once, because I think about how everything affects the future way too much, so much so that I give myself decision paralysis.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
^^ sometimes sarcasm doesn't come over in print. I had the old Professor Julius Sumner-Miller line running thru my head when I wrote that...

LTIH is dog owners who use the shared walking/bike trails round here that don't pick up after their animals. FFS, is it that difficult to direct your dog's @rse off the actual track if you've forgotten to bring plastic bags? Surely Fido would rather crap on grass than gravel?

wombat

Lives in a hole
LTIH: The way I read books; I actually suck at reading books!

I still read academic style, fast, like what I'm reading has been written by someone with no concept of the joy of the written word, and the only point of bothering to read it in the first place is to glean an idea or two from a ramling bore of long words. As a result, I smash through books quickly, but never feel like I'm really getting everything out of the prose, it's like it's all wasted on me. For all I care you could probably just string together the bare bones of a plot, damn the nuances of language, and it'd all be the same to me.

And what's worse, I have no self control. So I don't just read fast, I can't stop, and end up reading way too late into the night, pissing myself off not only because I don't get enough sleep, but also because I've run out of books to read.

I need to learn how to read.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
LTIH: The way I read books; I actually suck at reading books!

I still read academic style, fast, like what I'm reading has been written by someone with no concept of the joy of the written word, and the only point of bothering to read it in the first place is to glean an idea or two from a ramling bore of long words. As a result, I smash through books quickly, but never feel like I'm really getting everything out of the prose, it's like it's all wasted on me. For all I care you could probably just string together the bare bones of a plot, damn the nuances of language, and it'd all be the same to me.

And what's worse, I have no self control. So I don't just read fast, I can't stop, and end up reading way too late into the night, pissing myself off not only because I don't get enough sleep, but also because I've run out of books to read.

I need to learn how to read.
That sounds like me.

The books I like, I'll re-read many, may times so I get everything I missed the other times I've read them. I must've read Catch 22 at least twenty times in the last 5 years.

Sometimes I'll finish a book, and start again from the beginning because of this.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm like both of you really. I wish I could smash out uni textbooks at the same speed. I find that I do take a fair bit away from the first read though, so reading something I enjoy is really satisfying.

But saying that, I still read really fast so the next few times I read the book I can understand it a little bit clearer or figure something out that had me puzzled for ages.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just found a new thing I hate - Python programming... This assignment is quite literally doing my head in, I've never been more frustrated by something in my entire life.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Really little, stupidly tiny thing I hate: the reach adjuster assembly on SRAM Red shifters, specifically having to put the fucking thing back together.
If I find out who designed it, I'm gonna burn their house down.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's your problem. Sram make some seriously bad road stuff, it might be light, and it might feel alright for the first two years of use. But after that it's better in a bin.

LTIH: Buying a new bike with a new wheel size (29er) and not having a spare tube to take on its maiden ride.. She'll be right mate, I never get flats. But I'll take a patch kit just in case. One 20c sized hole halfway around the loop later, I'm walking home.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just found a new thing I hate - Python programming... This assignment is quite literally doing my head in, I've never been more frustrated by something in my entire life.

Although python's and it's miserable indents can be somewhat annoying, I'm currently being tortured by a really buggy microcontroller for a uni assignment, and an even buggier compiler, And trying to find the missing "*" in about 2000 lines of code..

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
The fact that the lights on the Princes Highway at the turn off for Sutherland go for about 5 seconds.

Even better is how every time I'm driving north I manage to get a red light. Every. Time.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Although python's and it's miserable indents can be somewhat annoying, I'm currently being tortured by a really buggy microcontroller for a uni assignment, and an even buggier compiler, And trying to find the missing "*" in about 2000 lines of code..
Ah that sucks man. I've been stuck on this one question for the past 4hrs, constantly trying different bits of code. I feel like I'm on the very tip of a breakthrough, but it just won't come. It'll be something ridiculously stupid in the end.

Just about to call it a night and work on it early tomorrow... running out of time though :/

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Really little, stupidly tiny thing I hate: the reach adjuster assembly on SRAM Red shifters, specifically having to put the fucking thing back together.
If I find out who designed it, I'm gonna burn their house down.
44 gallons of gas on the wall, 44 gallons of gas.
Spread it around,
Burn the place down,
43 gallons of gas on the wall

43 gallons of gas on the wall, 43 gallons of gas...

Actually, LTIH is assignments I just can't get a start on. I've got to write 1000 words, and so far I've written 1000 words 3 times and not been at all happy with the results. It is just such an awkward topic to write about in a succinct way that it is impossible to write with a semblance of flow.

And I too face the academic reading issue-I can smash through journal articles and text books and because of that knock through books in the same with. Totally unfulfilling way to read fiction.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, LTIH is assignments I just can't get a start on. I've got to write 1000 words, and so far I've written 1000 words 3 times and not been at all happy with the results. It is just such an awkward topic to write about in a succinct way that it is impossible to write with a semblance of flow.
Been sitting at uni now for a minimum 6 hrs the last three nights because of this. If not above, then goddamn writer's block. Been watching SLiDE reruns for an hour now :( just makes me miss Brisbane more

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Paying $85 for a 500GB external hard drive, having it crash after 4 months at 350GB full, and being quoted $400 to have it repaired and the photos/videos salvaged.

Rather glad right now that I have everything important backed up. It's my fault for trusting cheap pieces of junk with important shit.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Paying $85 for a 500GB external hard drive, having it crash after 4 months at 350GB full, and being quoted $400 to have it repaired and the photos/videos salvaged.

Rather glad right now that I have everything important backed up. It's my fault for trusting cheap pieces of junk with important shit.
Write the manufacturer a letter of demand for the $400.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumers/Consumer_guarantees_warranties_and_refunds/Guarantees_on_goods.html