Little Things You Hate

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
LTIH: New "standard" (Shimano DirectMount), leading to me replacing a chainring that didn't need replacing, leading to me having to buy a new bloody tool just to tighten the damn thing on. A tool that of course will be used for nothing other than tightening a chainring.

I swear the lowlives design this crap just to satisfy the 3 points of difference to make it their own proprietary thing that no-one else can use and they don't have to pay to use the other POS company's thing. The only difference I can make out between the RF Cinch and Shimano directmount is that the Shimano one is a poofteenth larger lockring radius, has a locating spline (why???) and uses it's own special tool. NONE of these things impact on the function of the damn chainring or cranks.

I just want to work on my own damn bike. FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
LTIH: New "standard" (Shimano DirectMount), leading to me replacing a chainring that didn't need replacing, leading to me having to buy a new bloody tool just to tighten the damn thing on. A tool that of course will be used for nothing other than tightening a chainring.
The newer 'smaller' Shimano BB's also use this tool. So it does both BB and direct mount chainring.

If you buy a set of XT/XTR cranks, one comes in the box. Not sure about SLX and below.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LTIH... the bullshit pricing on mtb specific tooling.
Picked up some 36s and want to change the air shaft. The price for a Fox top cap tool is $56 and the removal tools are around $80-120 each (and you'd need both due to sizing). $100 for a piece a metal with the sole purpose of being smacked with a hammer!
I know you can get around these with alternatives, but that's just insane pricing

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I know you can get around these with alternatives, but that's just insane pricing
Just keep going with working alternatives, then when they suddenly change the foot nut size, you wont feel like a tool.

I'm still even taking the air caps off with a regular chamfered socket, its never slipped. Press down nice and firm with the palm of your hand and know what direction to turn it. My new 38 came with 3 volume spacers in there, its been off twice in the last few weeks. Only 1 spacer in there now... might even give it a run with none.

SCA_221212_hi-res.jpg

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Just keep going with working alternatives, then when they suddenly change the foot nut size, you wont feel like a tool.

I'm still even taking the air caps off with a regular chamfered socket, its never slipped. Press down nice and firm with the palm of your hand and know what direction to turn it. My new 38 came with 3 volume spacers in there, its been off twice in the last few weeks. Only 1 spacer in there now... might even give it a run with none.

View attachment 399180
Go crazy and put a Luftkappe in there. Noticeable improvement imo.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

I've taken to mine with a grinding wheel