LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time keepers don't like being blinded by uber bright lights as you go through. If your only way to stop that is to pull the cable or tilt your lights, then that could suck. especially the helmet mounted ones...
Yeah, that's the downside to having two sets of lights, you have to worry about keeping both of them away from the timekeepers. Although you can just make sure you don't directly look at the timekeepers to solve the helmet issue, and put your hand over the light to stop the bar mounted light causing problems.

craign

Likes Dirt
It's just a pity they won't sell the light units seperately, you have to buy the whole set. If I could get a bar mounted light and 3 hour battery I'd probably go for it, as for a secondary light I reckon they would be perfect.
I emailed them about this. They said they'll probably offer a single set in the future. The other option is to buy the current set and an extra charger and split it with someone.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
More of the issue is running through transition/timing tents. Time keepers don't like being blinded by uber bright lights as you go through. If your only way to stop that is to pull the cable or tilt your lights, then that could suck. especially the helmet mounted ones...

I wouldn't have thought it'd take much to put an inline switch of some description in but *shrug*

Cheers
Gonz
Yes... an inline switch would be a great add on. Maybe in the future they will release one? :cool:

As for only needing a single light and they sell only a set..... going halves with someone would be a great idea OR simply wear both on the helmet with extension cables to your pack.. oooh yeah :D

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ay-up

I've just ordered a set of Ayup lights,
mainly for comutting and as an extra headlight for 24hr races
hid on the bars and the ay-up on the helmet as i find hid on the helmet just a little to bright for my liking.
when they come in i'll charge them and take them for a a couple of laps around the dam which goes from not so dark to very dark in places
so hopefully on friday morning I'll have an off road review for you.
and if i remember batteries for amy camera a couple of photos as well.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tried out one set of the AYUP lights on the helmet last night
very nice,
not as bright as a hid of course but a better light and a much wider spread than my 5watt halogen,
Bonus for me is, they are tiny for what they do.
i have 2x 3hr batteries @ 100gm each
I keep one in my bag just incase i forget.
It was hard to see it working at twilight but im sure the cars in front could see me as most of the road signs were nicely lit up by my lights.
When riding down a street with no streetlights i could see a huge amount.

Am waiting on anther handelbar mount for the mtb before testing them offroad im sure it will make another huge improvement hainv a set on the bars.

F

fishboy2807

Yes, thanks for the spam... you really put in a good effort to answer the question why and compare with other products to back up your fair unbiased statement! :rolleyes:
How about that, I must try harder.

Why? they're very bright, so you can go fast. They run for quite a while, so you can rack up at least a couple of hours fast riding before swapping batteries, and the battery charges quicker than you can discharge them, so by rights you can keep going all night with 2 small batteries and access to a powerpoint.

Compare? erm, well in the past I had a pair of nightsticks, and am glad I now have something reliable, that's long burning and not halogen. I also had a handmade set-up which gave me more grief than I care to relate.

Spam? Mate I don't design, make or sell lights (I'd be hard pressed to make a wax candle) but anyone can gain some bias if they're happy with the lights they use. even more so if they sell them eh Jacko?

Last edited by a moderator:

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
How about a review on the Ay-Up lights on the trail?
Anyone?
Ordering and delivery

I ordered the lights on the launch night of the Ayup website with Paypal. Within 5 minutes i had placed my order and received a confirmation of delivery dated for the next day! The following day i receive an email apologizing for an error in ordering so the lights would be delivered the following day! I was very happy as they arrived as promised and i opened the box to find my new toys. I was not expecting such fast delivery, so a big thumbs up here! The packaging is great, but a simple box would be easier to but the items into when your fumbling around in the back of the car!

The first thing i did was read the instructions on the website (as it clearly advises) and plugged the first battery in the charge. lets just get one thing straight here... the batteries and light set weigh next to nothing. The 3 hr batteries took about 3-4 hrs and the 6 hr, close to 7.

On observation i noticed that one of the 'reflective cones' around the light was scratched (it cast small, tiny! dark spots when powered up) I've emailed Ayup.... and a new light and an extra 3hr battery as an apology will be here within 24hrs! A double thumb up for customer service (did i mention i'm a loyal customer already ;))

The ride

Out on the trail i was pleasantly surprised with these babies! First concerns were that the way that the lights are held onto the bars would be a problem with slippage (a word?)... and they stayed rock solid throughout my 2.5 hr ride. Another thumbs up.

The beams are bright and white. It was quite difficult to take photos that did these lights justice, but the images below show that the trail is ok to see with the lights on. Just out of interest I tested a single light on the helmet- It just did not work for me as the 'light spread' is not that strong. Turn on the handle bar light too and you can honestly ride single track!.. these lights are 'adequate' and do the job. A single unit would be great for commuting though! I was pleasantly impressed.

Both lights

Single light

Helmet + Cateye Tripleshot Pros (notice wider spread of light)- sorry about image quality

Single spot to show off my ride ;)

Positives

1. Light... oh so light!

2. Batteries addup to 12 hrs of light

3. Strong white beams

4. Price!

5. Fast delivery

6. Overall these lights will light up your rides!

7. Ayups customer service is first class.. infact mind blowing!

8. Great construction and overall design :thumbsup:

9. You can night ride with these lights

So what are the negatives?

1. Firstly the lack of an on and off switch. I can see the novelty wearing off very quickly when you have to fumble with gloves (esp on the helmet mount) to power these up and down. BUT after emailing Ayup with a question on a possible fix.. they assured me that a switch is on it's way in the future and will be backward compatible with ALL of their lights.. infact All addons will be. So why the current solution is not ideal, i trust that it will be solved in the future.

2. The beam 'spread' is not as wide as i'd like, but this may be because i'm used to my Tripleshot pros, which have a very nice wide beam. The beam is super strong in the centre and gets weaker as it spreads outward. Like i mentioned, single track is rideable, so as long as you keep your eyes open for scrub on the edges, you will be fine! (and for $400 a set.. well.... you know).

3. The bar mounting could be refined with a quick release of some kind rather than zip ties. This of course is a personal preference and does not affect the lights performance.... i'm just over cutting and re- zipping after each ride ;)

Overall i'm in love with these lights! I'll also be honest and admit i'm surprised that you could get away with these on the trails!.. all for $400.00. Will i use these exclusively?.. well no... because i wanted a strongish helmet mounted beam to accompany my Tripleshot Pros (which have a wide beam)... and these are perfect for this! What will i do with the second light?.. i'm waiting for a second helmet mount and an extension cable to run both on my helmet with the batteries in my pack (as they are soooo light).

If you want to night ride on a budget... get a set of these lights... you will not be disappointed.
These are not HID brightness (or cost!!!).. but they do the job very very well. I'm sure i'll see more of these on the trails... in all the colours of the rainbow ;)

A group of mates and I are riding at Lysterfield this Wednesday.. so please feel free to join us for a spin and to see the lights in action. We are meeting at 6pm.

Last edited:

funky

Likes Dirt
Ay-Up Review - Coming From Halogens

Hey, once someone has reviewed the Ay-Ups after riding with Halogens (eg 5W / 15W Niteflux vision sticks), could you please post.

I'm interested in how these puppies compare with a Halogen Setup, especially in terms of brightness, beam spread.

Cheers

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Righteo, a final update.

Went for an epic lastnight with 3 mates using only the ayup lights (we all have a set). The batteries lasted for close to 4 hrs (not 3!) and we rode with NO PROBLEMS at all. We even carried a spare battery as they weigh nothing.. but never had to use it. Tonight was one of the best rides we have had.. period... and the ayup lights made it possible. Technical singletrack, fireroads, open grass land.. we rode it all. Fucking amazing.

My Final view is GET THESE LIGHTS- THEY ROCK :)

Over and out.....:D

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
My Final view is GET THESE LIGHTS- THEY ROCK :)
I have been looking at getting some 1/2 decent lights, last week I emailed Vicisous in regards an update on when they might have more stock, their website indicated they have none.

I also emailed AY UP last week about getting my logo on the side of their lights (after reading in another review that was possible) and getting a set of their lights, neither company has responded to my emails :( I guess I will give it another couple days and try again.

Last edited:
Hi Trevor,
Have a look at the new Lumen8r housing due out in a few weeks.
http://www.hidtechnologies.com.au/News.htm
Cost of the light will not be changing at this stage. $425
This will make the unit waterproof albeit slightly heavier.
May even be able to negotiate a logo somewhere.
Daniel
HIDTechnologies

I have been looking at getting some 1/2 decent lights, last week I emailed Vicisous in regards an update on when they might have more stock, their website indicated they have none.

I also emailed AY UP last week about getting my logo on the side of their lights (after reading in another review that was possible) and getting a set of their lights, neither company has responded to my emails :( I guess I will give it another couple days and try again.

I am trying to get them out for Late April early May.
Price will be the same $425.
Waterproof helmet mount light head. Will test to see if can be used on handlebars too.
5+ hours of burn time
2-3hr re-charge time
Am trying to organise 5 colours Black, silver, Dark purple,dark blue,dark red

Wow that looks really bling! and waterproof too for an extra 20grams?

How long 'til they're on the market?

syconate

Likes Bikes
After last weekends 24hr @ Kooralbyn, Qld I can't recommend the Ay Ups enough. Light, great burn time and with the helmet and bar mount set up I was casting a shadow when riding behind more expensive HID lights. There were a hell of a lot of other people out there with them too.

After last weekends 24hr @ Kooralbyn, Qld I can't recommend the Ay Ups enough. Light, great burn time and with the helmet and bar mount set up I was casting a shadow when riding behind more expensive HID lights. There were a hell of a lot of other people out there with them too.
I will 2nd that one Synconate. I did a 2 man event and my partner and I rode all night on these lights, and both of us only had to swap the helmet battery over. No recharging needed.

There seemed to be more AYUPs than any other individual lighting system.
This Aussie product certainly shone bright and long last Saturday night.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
After last weekends 24hr @ Kooralbyn, Qld I can't recommend the Ay Ups enough.
Unfortunately after 4 emails over about 2 weeks to them and no responses I have given up and gone elsewhere, they looked quite promising, which is a pity :( I guess the first rule of selling your product is to be contactable ?

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Well I've just my vicious light fail on me. I am pretty annoyed as I've only had for 6 months and only used a handful of times.
I just got my vicious arc battery back, repaired on warranty. Well they did warranty it, so even if it took over a month I guess I can't really complain (we shared postage costs). They told me they have had about 1% of the battery controllers fail, and the controller are the only part they don't make themselves, and will be using their own upgraded contollers from sometime this year.

They were pretty responsive to my emails - I think they always responed to me within 24 hours, although it seemed to take a lot of emails.

They are a kickarse light, so vicious arc hid still get a thumbs up from me.