LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Cruz

Likes Dirt
There was a comparison test in one of the UK mags the last 6 months or so which also had the Brightstar in there. I remember that they werent real happy with the bar and helmet mounts and when you look at the pic you can see why. For those looking at the Niteriders, they mount on the helmet at the front of it and on any bumpy trail the helmet moves forward and down due to this. It cannot be moved any further back due to the limited angle movement of the mount and light. It isnt very light either. We havent had the greatest luck with the Niteriders either with a couple of sets being sent back to the USA for warranty.

For anyone looking at using batteryspace from the USA off of e-bay just be aware that the batteries and chargers they sent us all stuffed up. The chargers were tested here and found to be putting out around 22 volts instead of around 15 volts max and they burnt the batteries out. They did not want to know about any of this either so the cost to us was considerable. Ended up getting new batteries and chargers from Allistair at Nightlightning in Sydney who is a pleasure to deal with.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone looking at using batteryspace from the USA off of e-bay just be aware that the batteries and chargers they sent us all stuffed up. The chargers were tested here and found to be putting out around 22 volts instead of around 15 volts max and they burnt the batteries out. They did not want to know about any of this either so the cost to us was considerable. Ended up getting new batteries and chargers from Allistair at Nightlightning in Sydney who is a pleasure to deal with.
I've bought two batteries and a charger from batteryspace (website not ebay), the PCB on one of the batteries carked it after about a year but the other battery and the charger work OK.

As the owner of HIDtechnologies, I can assure you they are weather resistant. I have had the hose (yes during water restrictions) on one in multiple angles and in jet spray or sprinkle for at least 5 minutes with no undue effects.

Electrically they have no issues with rain, though I do not recommend you swim with one.
Like anything electronic it is advised to take care with water anyway.
The other brands cost alot more due to the fact they make their housings by either CNC or die casting which requires a huge monetary outlay.
I agree it doesn't look finished like the others, BUT you are getting the best technology for the price.
Someone else mentioned multi modes. Why is that important? The highest wattage is the most efficient with battery use, so you do actually sacrifice burn times too.
With regards to the shining your light into someone elses face and blinding them, it really doesn't take much effort to reach up and aim the light skyward for talking.

If any body has any questions or wants to try one, contact me and I am sure I can help you.
Hope that helps.
Daniel

ok, I was originally hoping/thinking of spending around $200 on lights, but after looking around, that doesn't seem to buy much better lights than what I originally had: Smart BL-201 HW Twin system

Whilst I do like the price of the HID Lumen8R10W compared with other HID setups, it really doesn't appear (from the small website photos at least) to be greatly weatherproof which again is a problem in Tasmania during winter. Obviously the more expensvie brands such as Lupine, Jet, Vicious, Niterider etc appear to look a little more sturdy and possibly able to handle the elements better; although at much higher cost than the Lumen8R10W, not that I'm certain if this really is the case or not?

Anyhow, for the price I'm seriously considering something like: Ay Up, 4 x 3W LED's; Niterider evolution smart; or Chervy Lights 3 x 3W LED's. These are all under $400, but is still a lot of money for something that I'm not certain I'll get a whole lot of use out of considering it gets damn cold at night in Hobart during winter.

Ahh, so many brands, models and decissions. Not sure if I'll ever be able to compromise on a setup in the near future. :eek:

The LEDs are fantastic and even I have been looking to putting them into my systems with them.
The latest Osram Ostar due in May/June is 1000lumens.
However what turned me off them was that they are actually higher wattage something like 20W.
Example according to the datasheet.
Power consumption per module
LE W E2A is actually 18W
LEW E3A is actually 27W
(can someone correct me if I am wrong)
You also need to make sure you have plenty of heat dissapation as they generate a lot of heat.
They also require a "puck" which generates required 20V or so to run them. Unless of course you run them of a 20V battery.
Thus effectively reducing burn time anyway. But they are bright.
:)

Apparently there are better LED's than the cree's available now I'm not sure who makes them but I think lupine are about to release the wilma with them, it is supposed to produce 750 lumens.

I nearly started distribution with the Levin by Brightstar.
The very first time my test rider used it, it fell apart and he had a stack.
They have improved it since then but I am still not impressed by it.
They are heavy and cumbersome.
Thus I am not going to import them.

Interesting indeed... No bad reviews (well not many reviews at all) on mtbr.com as yet

Would be good to see an independent test of these compared with our current batch of HID's. If anyone knows of any please post the links! :cool:

Oracle

Likes Dirt
As the owner of HIDtechnologies, I can assure you they are weather resistant. I have had the hose (yes during water restrictions) on one in multiple angles and in jet spray or sprinkle for at least 5 minutes with no undue effects.

Electrically they have no issues with rain, though I do not recommend you swim with one. Like anything electronic it is advised to take care with water anyway. The other brands cost alot more due to the fact they make their housings by either CNC or die casting which requires a huge monetary outlay. I agree it doesn't look finished like the others, BUT you are getting the best technology for the price.

Someone else mentioned multi modes. Why is that important? The highest wattage is the most efficient with battery use, so you do actually sacrifice burn times too. With regards to the shining your light into someone elses face and blinding them, it really doesn't take much effort to reach up and aim the light skyward for talking.

If any body has any questions or wants to try one, contact me and I am sure I can help you. Hope that helps.
Daniel
Thanks for the clarrification regarding your product Daniel - much appreciated! ;)

I'll send you a pm in the next few days regarding trialling a unit. :cool:

Cheers, Lee

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Regarding the heat issue with home-made lights. Is this really that much of a problem? I was under the impression that the lights would keep cool as the air passed over them? Is it only necessary if your lights are LED based, not halogen for instance.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Regarding the heat issue with home-made lights. Is this really that much of a problem? I was under the impression that the lights would keep cool as the air passed over them? Is it only necessary if your lights are LED based, not halogen for instance.
I put about 30W* through my nitepro elite, which uses a 12W bulb as standard. It got hot enough that touching it when it was running wasn't wise, but it still ran just fine.

Heat is more of a problem with LEDs because it is concentrated in such a small area. The more volts you put through the LED the more light, but you also get more heat. So basically the faster you can get the heat away from the diode the brighter you can run the LED.

*12v 20W bulb @15.5v

It is not so much of an issue with halogen as he reflectors are designed to take the heat. HID lamps need to be kept at a reasonable temp or the reflector can be damaged. So airflow is important.
LED needs lots of heatsinking to run. The closer to ambient/25c for led the better.

MTB Maniac is correct.
Most divers run their lights at a higher voltage ths creating more light, however the lamp life is reduced 10 fold. It will get very hot as a halogen is making a filament glow white hot to ceate light, so making it glow whiter will obviously generate more light.
LEDs are not that efficient, better than halogen but not as good a HID yet.

I put about 30W* through my nitepro elite, which uses a 12W bulb as standard. It got hot enough that touching it when it was running wasn't wise, but it still ran just fine.

Heat is more of a problem with LEDs because it is concentrated in such a small area. The more volts you put through the LED the more light, but you also get more heat. So basically the faster you can get the heat away from the diode the brighter you can run the LED.

*12v 20W bulb @15.5v

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Well, the Ay Up lights have arrived and are charging now. First impressions are great with the quality being first class. I'll be doing a full test tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, here is the mounted helmet unit

More over the weekend.

Paul.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
They've been around for a few years with halogen lights, with some very solid units that had the advantage of the light unit being able to be mounted directly on the battery stick. Making a very useful weapon er... I mean torch also.

For the HID range they're licencing the Vicious Power technology but are made off shore. Should be fairly solid units.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Well I've just my vicious light fail on me. I am pretty annoyed as I've only had for 6 months and only used a handful of times.

Just went out to a trial with some mates and the light is totally dead. When i got home I had a good look and I think some is seriously wrong, i.e. not just a flat battery. Anyway it will be interesting to see the response from viciouspower.

It was a great light when it worked, but now it has ruined my ride i am pissed off that I spent all that dosh on something that could simply fail out of the blue like that. Just thankful it did not fail 1/2 way through a 24 hour enduro.

Last edited:

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You just convinced me to buy that 2nd set of lights I was debating on...
Do it. Around 2am At the Kona 24 last year my halogen light turned itself off about 3km into the lap. I trundled up the fireroad contemplating another 16 km without light, but fortunately it switched back on again at the top. It did it a couple more times during the lap though, which was a bit scarey.

Turned out to be a battery issue. At the end of the day no matter how well built the lights are, they are all using similar battery technology, which can fail. So I'm planning on running a bar/helmet combo for enduros, the only question is which two lights.

I believe I'll have some Ay-Ups to play with soon, so it'll be interesting to see how well they work. If they are bright enough that would be a perfect solution, but I don't think they are going to be. My second plan is a HID on the helmet with a 15W halogen on the bars. The downside is that setup will weigh ~750gr vs ~250gr for the Ay Ups - ouch!

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.. sorry for the delay in reviewing the ayups :D I had a race at the weekend and now have a head cold... so i'll try and get a review by the end of the week (unless someone else beats me to it!) I'd rather have images and a review based on single track... not my back yard!

First impressions indicate that that these will be perfect to accompany a HID or more powerful handlebar mounted LED set. One thing that is a bit of an issue (or may well be) is the lack of an on and off switch... i can see this connection wearing very quickly.

Anyhoo... review soon!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I believe I'll have some Ay-Ups to play with soon, so it'll be interesting to see how well they work.
I have a Vicious HID already, and have been looking at a LED helmet mount as a secondary for a bit. I'd like to actually play with one first, but will be getting a set of ayups I think for use as a helmet mount. With the extension cable they'll be lighter than the Vicious as a helmet mount, and brighter than the Vicious LED I'd think...

anyway, means two different light types, two battery types, two chargers... If any one fails, I won't be left completely in the dark (har har? :)

Cheers
Gonz

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First impressions indicate that that these will be perfect to accompany a HID or more powerful handlebar mounted LED set.
It's just a pity they won't sell the light units seperately, you have to buy the whole set. If I could get a bar mounted light and 3 hour battery I'd probably go for it, as for a secondary light I reckon they would be perfect.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
One thing that is a bit of an issue (or may well be) is the lack of an on and off switch... i can see this connection wearing very quickly.
More of the issue is running through transition/timing tents. Time keepers don't like being blinded by uber bright lights as you go through. If your only way to stop that is to pull the cable or tilt your lights, then that could suck. especially the helmet mounted ones...

I wouldn't have thought it'd take much to put an inline switch of some description in but *shrug*

Cheers
Gonz