Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

Bupton

Likes Dirt
Wheels arrived today, look the piece.

Still feel I should have got enve stickers to put on them :crazy:

I can not believe how difficult it was to mount tyres to them.

20150706_211540.jpg

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Wheels arrived today, look the piece.

Still feel I should have got enve stickers to put on them :crazy:

I can not believe how difficult it was to mount tyres to them.
Is this one of those "find the mistakes" pictures?

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Ackland

chats d'élevage
For those interested, Nancy is replacing my rim under warranty, and is even upgrading me to a 33mm rim instead for strength.
Copped the $47 postage, pretty impressed!
I hope you're aware that you're also going to be up for new spokes given the 33mm rim has a very different ERD....

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do you say stocked out of your f*cking brain in Chinese?

No weights yet, will get some when I get a battery for the scale.......kitchen fail.

Attachments

higiff

Likes Dirt
Been loving my rims, they ride awesome and are super light.
They survived just under 200 whistler laps, 5 or 6 races until the weekend. Over in Silverstar for the BC cup and came up sort on a double I was trying in a rock garden. (I really doubt any rim would have survived this and i'll be running them again, things break)
My tubeless set up didn't deflate and I managed to roll down the road to the bottom.
Hoping like the people above I manage to get some sort of cheap replacement.
38mm DH spec rim, Magic Mary DH tyre, 31 PSI

Broken.jpg

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,
So, I'm setting up my new wheels, I pop up to my LBS and get them to put my X1 cassette onto the DT 350 hub, they do it easy, no worries and happy days. However during my tubless setting up i notice the cassette move a little, then I realize I can pull the whole cassette off, with what I assume is the driver attached. This doesn't seem right to me......can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Attachments

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The end-cap is what holds the free-body onto the hub. Aint ever going to come off when the wheel is mounted to the bike...

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The end-cap is what holds the free-body onto the hub. Aint ever going to come off when the wheel is mounted to the bike...
Thanks for the reply, yeah, I figured it would be unlikely for this to cause a problem during use. But seemed odd I could pull the cassette off by hand.

teK--

Eats Squid
Rim tape

(I've done a search through this thread already)

Seems most people are using the Stans tape 25 or 19mm.

I have used the 25mm and it has peeled up at the edges (and then air/sealant leaked into the rim cavity) after a few months every time. I've re-taped the rear wheel 3 times now since I have to keep pulling the tyre off to change for new or repair a puncture. and after a couple of times the tape is no good.

It is not my application technique as I have never had this issue before with other rims. The only difference is in this case the rim is 30mm internal width and the tape is only 25mm wide. On old Stans rims 21mm wide the tape was 25mm wide and so it would go up the sides of the rim a couple of mm both sides, so the tyre bead never scrapes over the edge of the tape when you pop the tyre off. Also the sealant never really gets in contact with the edge of the tape and so can't get under the adhesive.

The widest tape I can find is WTB TCS 30mm which looks identical to Stans. They also make a 34mm which would be perfect but I can't find it anywhere to buy without paying as much as the tape in shipping.

Anyone else have this issue and have a solution other than Gorilla tape?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Anyone else have this issue and have a solution other than Gorilla tape?
I might be missing the obvious, but why not gorilla tape? works really well, lasts ages and is substantially cheaper? only issue is having to cut or tear to size.

teK--

Eats Squid
I might be missing the obvious, but why not gorilla tape? works really well, lasts ages and is substantially cheaper? only issue is having to cut or tear to size.
Going by several reports the adhesive breaks down causing the tape to move around, and when you remove it to apply new tape it leaves a messy residue. I believe Enve spec'ed this tape originally but have since changed.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Going by several reports the adhesive breaks down causing the tape to move around, and when you remove it to apply new tape it leaves a messy residue. I believe Enve spec'ed this tape originally but have since changed.
Stans tape shouldn't come up at the edges Tek - possible problems : rim needs to be really clean before application, and application needs to be tight with a good long overlay ( twice round wouldn't hurt), and final possible, is possible use of tire levers to remove is lifting ( shouldn't use levers if at all possible)

That said , I have read before that carbon prefers gorilla rather than stans in terms of stickiness of the adhesive. Not personally had problem with either type of tape

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used the thin stans tape and it worked a treat. Had to be careful to get the tape over the spoke holes in the rim, took 2 mins to do and they pumped up with a floor pump with zero effort. Easiest tubeless I've done, by a mile.

Also, had to get longer stans valves.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Clean your rims thoroughly with isopropyl.

Instal stans tape.

Leave overnight with a tube in to press it down.

Enjoy edges staying where they should and easy removal later without the residue of gorilla......

Also... buy the eBay "can't believe it's not Stans"
Buy 2 rolls to save shipping... never buy tape again (unless you have stingy mates)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tubeless...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23529a404c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tesa-4289-No-Tubes-Tubeless-Rim-Tape-19mm-Wide-x-66M-long-/252017199959?