Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

teK--

Eats Squid
Clean your rims thoroughly with isopropyl.

Instal stans tape.

Leave overnight with a tube in to press it down.

Enjoy edges staying where they should and easy removal later without the residue of gorilla......

Also... buy the eBay "can't believe it's not Stans"
Buy 2 rolls to save shipping... never buy tape again (unless you have stingy mates)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tubeless...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23529a404c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tesa-4289-No-Tubes-Tubeless-Rim-Tape-19mm-Wide-x-66M-long-/252017199959?
Thanks I always clean rim with isoprop thoroughly with a clean shop towel and let it evaporate before putting the tape on. I even wear latex gloves to avoid getting body oils on the tape. The first time I fitted up these wheels I fitted tubes overnight and although the tape lasted maybe 3 tyre changes (rather than 2) it still peeled. So I don't bother with the tube now.

Am already using the Tesa 4289 tape scored a 55M roll for $25 :D.

I used the thin stans tape and it worked a treat. Had to be careful to get the tap over the spoke holes in the rim, took 2 mins to do and they pumped up with a floor pump with zero effort. Easiest tubeless I've done, by a mile.

Also, had to get longer stans valves.
Thin as in, narrower than 25mm? I wonder if having tape only in the spoke bed area rather than up on the tyre bead seat area would help.

Stans tape shouldn't come up at the edges Tek - possible problems : rim needs to be really clean before application, and application needs to be tight with a good long overlay ( twice round wouldn't hurt), and final possible, is possible use of tire levers to remove is lifting ( shouldn't use levers if at all possible)

That said , I have read before that carbon prefers gorilla rather than stans in terms of stickiness of the adhesive. Not personally had problem with either type of tape
Yeah I go about 4-5" overlap at the valve hole. The tyres pop off the rim by hand I only need to get a lever slightly under one bead to get it over the rim (without having to lever against the rim tape). pretty sure it's as the tyre slips into the spoke bed that it pulls the edge of the tape with it :yell:.

Stans/Tesa doesn't doesn't feel like it has much stickiness to carbon rims.

I'm going to try, running the 25mm tape along one side of the rim with 2-3mm extending up the sides, and then run another strip against the over side, so both strips overlap the spoke holes in the middle by a good 15mm or so. Then squash the shit out of it with a tube overnight.

Unless someone can find me 34-36mm wide tape so I can do it in one strip?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
As a thought, have you tried the plastic scourer trick? I actually use that on all rims I do, and I've never had a drama. Onto the 3rd change of the LB AM 33mm 26" rims, still good.

i.e. Clean with Iso, gently rough up with a plastic scourer (the green ones), clean with Iso again and then apply. Will, in theory, give a better surface for adhesion.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Going by several reports the adhesive breaks down causing the tape to move around, and when you remove it to apply new tape it leaves a messy residue. I believe Enve spec'ed this tape originally but have since changed.
Ah ok, had to use it as nothing else fitted my 30mm internal, used stans previous with good results, lasted around 18 months with many tyre changes before the edges finally started to lift up.

teK--

Eats Squid
Ah ok, had to use it as nothing else fitted my 30mm internal, used stans previous with good results, lasted around 18 months with many tyre changes before the edges finally started to lift up.
That a shitload better than what I'm getting! Did u cut the tape wider than 30mm and extend it up the sides so sealant couldn't get under the tape?

teK--

Eats Squid
As a thought, have you tried the plastic scourer trick? I actually use that on all rims I do, and I've never had a drama. Onto the 3rd change of the LB AM 33mm 26" rims, still good.

i.e. Clean with Iso, gently rough up with a plastic scourer (the green ones), clean with Iso again and then apply. Will, in theory, give a better surface for adhesion.
Did that in all my alloy rims and the tape is still stuck good after 4 years! I was told not do this the scrub on carbon rims

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Did that in all my alloy rims and the tape is still stuck good after 4 years! I was told not do this the scrub on carbon rims
Hmmm, well then, I guess I'll have to report back in a while! ;) I scrubbed mine, and I don' think it would have done anything, given that it would only be micrometers off the top layer.

Only time will tell!

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

More searching and I found this:

http://cyclesinlife.com/tubeless-fatbike-conversion-update/

using this tape:

http://www.3m.com/intl/nz/english/scotchtoughtape/products_transparent.html

I'm thinking use this one though:

http://www.3m.com/intl/nz/english/scotchtoughtape/products_heavyduty.html

Which has better weatherability and adhesive strength.

It can be bought here:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/3m-scotch-48mm-x-27-4m-all-weather-tough-duct-tape_p1661183

Easy to buy, stretch/apply, and tear/cut to width. Water resistant. Feedback on that first page gives good long term results. Sounds like the perfect tape? I'll prob give it a shot on weekend and report back.

EDIT: forget the allweather tape I just realised it is cloth backing which would probably soak up the sealant. Will try the transparent stuff per the first website.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
That a shitload better than what I'm getting! Did u cut the tape wider than 30mm and extend it up the sides so sealant couldn't get under the tape?
Didn't need to, the depth of the carbons was shallow enough the the tyre compressed on the tape nicely, with some tyres being a real bugger to get on and off (schwalbe) and others no issues (maxxis), also cleaned and scoured the rims as stated above to get the tape to stick as good as possible.

teK--

Eats Squid
OK So I got my hands on this Scotch clear tough duct tape.

Cut the roll to 35mm wide for my 30mm rims. It is stretchy and nice to apply except for the fact that it's very thin (thinner than Stans) which mean gotta be careful not to wrinkle it or let it stick to itself as it's then a bitch to separate without deforming it. I did a couple of laps of the wheel with the tape.

Then set it with a tube and tyre for an hour or so.

Decided to check after this and I wasn't too entirely happy with how neatly I did the edges where it went up the sidewalls so I started peeling the tape off to do it again.

It was sticky as well, much moreso than when I applied it; it must be pressure activated adhesive. Also as this is tape which is tear by hand, the tape was shredding as it was coming off. I am glad I didn't leave this tape on longer as it would be a bitch to get off in one piece if you ever had to replace a spoke or something.

Went back to the Tesa 4289 25mm tape (Stans alternative) but this time I ran the tape close to one side leaving about 2-3mm up the walls, then one continuous run of tape onto the other side and up the other sidewall. The two layers of tape overlap over the spoke holes with the inner edge of the top tape layer sitting inside the spoke bed. Sealed the end of the tape with some carbon vinyl and a drop of superglue.

Now it is setting overnight with a tube and tyre.

Pretty sure this is going to be bombproof now as the tyre cannot pull the edge of the tape up off the bead shelf, and there are 2 layers of tape over the spoke holes so little chance of leaking until after a long time.

20150719_160552.jpg

20150719_160841.jpg

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Has anyone tried this tape? 30mm width? for 30mm internal you'd probably need more like 32-34mm width so might be best to do two runs of the 25mm anyway.

http://www.noxcomposites.com/tubeless_tape

OK So I got my hands on this Scotch clear tough duct tape.

Cut the roll to 35mm wide for my 30mm rims. It is stretchy and nice to apply except for the fact that it's very thin (thinner than Stans) which mean gotta be careful not to wrinkle it or let it stick to itself as it's then a bitch to separate without deforming it. I did a couple of laps of the wheel with the tape.

Then set it with a tube and tyre for an hour or so.

Decided to check after this and I wasn't too entirely happy with how neatly I did the edges where it went up the sidewalls so I started peeling the tape off to do it again.

It was sticky as well, much moreso than when I applied it; it must be pressure activated adhesive. Also as this is tape which is tear by hand, the tape was shredding as it was coming off. I am glad I didn't leave this tape on longer as it would be a bitch to get off in one piece if you ever had to replace a spoke or something.

Went back to the Tesa 4289 25mm tape (Stans alternative) but this time I ran the tape close to one side leaving about 2-3mm up the walls, then one continuous run of tape onto the other side and up the other sidewall. The two layers of tape overlap over the spoke holes with the inner edge of the top tape layer sitting inside the spoke bed. Sealed the end of the tape with some carbon vinyl and a drop of superglue.

Now it is setting overnight with a tube and tyre.

Pretty sure this is going to be bombproof now as the tyre cannot pull the edge of the tape up off the bead shelf, and there are 2 layers of tape over the spoke holes so little chance of leaking until after a long time.

View attachment 316253

View attachment 316255

teK--

Eats Squid
Has anyone tried this tape? 30mm width? for 30mm internal you'd probably need more like 32-34mm width so might be best to do two runs of the 25mm anyway.

http://www.noxcomposites.com/tubeless_tape
You need wider.

Ideally 35-36mm wide tape if you want to do only one continuous wrap, or double up 25mm like I did. The important part is to get it up the sides of the rims so the tyre bead seals up against the tape and protects the tape edge from exposure to sealant or being pulled up by the tyre bead when you remove tyres.

I subsequently found this stuff http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sun-ringle-tubeless-conversion-tape/rp-prod132907 which in 78mm would be perfect if cutting down to half width.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
not sure if I'd trust myself cutting this down... I guess I could set a blade in a vice on the side and just rotate the tape... would only need to cut part way through I guess.

I haven't had the best run with sun ringle stuff.... but ordered the tape :) but got the 48mm version, at 10m I reckon I'll be ok... see how we go.

You need wider.

Ideally 35-36mm wide tape if you want to do only one continuous wrap, or double up 25mm like I did. The important part is to get it up the sides of the rims so the tyre bead seals up against the tape and protects the tape edge from exposure to sealant or being pulled up by the tyre bead when you remove tyres.

I subsequently found this stuff http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sun-ringle-tubeless-conversion-tape/rp-prod132907 which in 78mm would be perfect if cutting down to half width.

teK--

Eats Squid
I previously used a utility knife taped around a drink coaster to get the correct height. Then sit tape on a piece of paper and rotate it against the blade on a Glass tabletop so the side of the roll doesn't get all messed up.

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Looking to get a set of the 26" 38mm wheels, but not sure if I can afford the Hope hubs. Anyone used the Novatec hubs they have listed? I know they're not as good but they are considerably cheaper.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Looking to get a set of the 26" 38mm wheels, but not sure if I can afford the Hope hubs. Anyone used the Novatec hubs they have listed? I know they're not as good but they are considerably cheaper.
I have a set of the novatecs and find them to be great hubs. Very easy to change between different configurations and have held up good to a fair bit of abuse. Only downfall is the engagement isn't as good as the Hopes. They are quite a bit lighter than hopes though. I emailed Novatec and they will have a new freewheel available to upgrade to better engagement soon I believe.