Large sum of money stolen from hotel room

indica

Serial flasher
I'll be rude and ask why the fuck anyone apart from a drug dealer or whore would have 5k on them?

Suck it up, it's gone.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This is why you put a do not disturb thing on the door if you're going out and leave anything remotely valuable in the room,
That's a bad strategy, as experience taught me. I'd put the sign on the door in France and hid some stuff in the garbage can (thinking room service won't come in and any robbers won't go through the trash). Room service ignored the sign and emptied the garbage - I was knee deep in the dumpster looking for my stuff. Didn't follow that strategy again and I've had the room serviced many times regardless of what was on the door and what country I was in.

The fact that the Hotel offered $600 as compensation is very, very odd; I would be pushing to find out why they are offering compensation. There should be cameras in the hallway.
I agree, it is rather odd.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Oops! It wasn't an offer of $600 cash, instead it was a large discount on their nicest room in Brisbane for three nights (her return flight to Hong Kong is from Brisbane). Would be $2120 normally but offering it to her for $660 for the whole three nights.

Also found a google review of the hotel with someone complaining the cleaning staff went through the persons make up bag leaving behind empty an empty foundation container.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I caught a room attendant going through my stuff in a 4 star hotel in Canberra years back. He didn't see me sleeping in the bed and had noticed the rest of the family heading out to dinner thinking the room was empty.

It happens, it's an imperfect world.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I'll be rude and ask why the fuck anyone apart from a drug dealer or whore would have 5k on them?

Suck it up, it's gone.
Have a look at the crime rate in Hong Kong vs Australia. If you were brought up in Hong Kong your street smart and crime smart would be a lot lower than living in Australia, couple this with the fact that she barely travels (It's her mums first time out of china) and you have someone who is naive and can't comprehend the danger of leaving that kind of money in her bag in a nice hotel. Why did she have 5k in the first place? She barely knew traveler cards existed and thought her bank card wouldn't work in Aus. I agree, many stupid mistakes and she probably did realise it was a bad idea but she assumed the chance was so low.

But I guess you're so lost inside your lunch box that empathy for people outside of it is not possible. Dickhead.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Have a look at the crime rate in Hong Kong vs Australia. If you were brought up in Hong Kong your street smart and crime smart would be a lot lower than living in Australia,
Sorry mate but I was raised on Bruce Lee, John Woo and Jackie Chan films (as well as JCVD's immortal 'Double Impact') so I know a thing or two about Hong Kong and you really need to know your shit in that town!

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Sorry mate but I was raised on Bruce Lee, John Woo and Jackie Chan films (as well as JCVD's immortal 'Double Impact') so I know a thing or two about Hong Kong and you really need to know your shit in that town!
knew I should have included an asterisk

*crime rate not including random acts of flying roundhouse kicks