LAMs approved bike for a tall rider

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, I do know there a really good thread on here about LAMs bikes but I can't find it.
I'm 6'5 and I'm looking for a bike to learn on. I've been looking at the 90s modes CBR250RRs, they're cheap and they look good for their age but being tall I'm worried about the size of them.
Does anyone have and suggestions for a bike that I could be comfortable on?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Pretty much every motorcycle ever made in the last 25 years is made for someone about 5'5" tall, the theory being a small person can ride a small bike, a tall person can ride a small bike (uncomfortably) but a small person cannot ride a large bike at all.

If you want a road bike, you're better off looking at an older, larger bike on the LAMS list rather than a 4 cylinder 250, which are made for jockey sized Japanese.

There's a number of 400-600cc dirtbikes on the list too, which might be suitable with a set of higher bars if you wanted to go that way. Some of the middle weight commuter style bikes might be ok, but you're going to struggle to be comfortable on most of them to be honest.

Maybe one of those VTR250's or similar if you wanted a pure road bike would be better than a sportsbike. I think some of the 600cc Ducati Monsters are on the list and would probably be ok for a tall bloke (and other bikes of similar style)

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Hyosung used to make LAMS bikes I had a quick look on their site but they look a bit more powerful these days.

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/new_product/detail.asp?cat=RoadSports&model=GT650R&year=2012

I am 6-1 and I say no to 250 crotch rockets. WHen you start to weigh a bit more 96kg + these little bad boys start to struggle a little with down low power particularly if it is a 2-stroke. I rode a Suzuki Across for years but they are getting a little long in the tooth now.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX250F-Across_brochures.shtml

If I was to do it again I would get some thing with some low down torque so you can have some fun off the line but not get the tickets because you are trying to crack 200km.

rone

Eats Squid
KTM 640 LC4. Enduro, Dakar or Motard. Fast-as and cheap. Tall seat and heaps of grunt. Right on the upper limits of the power to weight limit, but it must be close. I'm 6'3" and 100kg and it pulled my fat arse about fine.

KTM_640_LC4_Supermoto_2004_01_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do like the look of the KTM super motos but they're a little out of my price range.
I've also been toying with the idea of getting a 450 dirt bike and transferring it into a motard. Is this hard to do?

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
KLR 650

Huge fuel tank, simple. Good resale and comfortable for a tall guy. I have only ridden the full power model so I don't know about the difference to a LAMS model.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I've ridden a Kawasaki Ninja Zx2r, one of the crazy late 80's 4 cylinder screamers with a 18.5k redline. I stand 6'3 and that was relatively comfortable. A suzuki bandit 250 will also feel pretty good to ride. It seems in the late 80's the small engine bikes came in a close to full size chassis. Fzr250 would also be a fairly good bet, and have a delightful 19k redline!

The Suzuki accross is a pretty bad example of a 250-that engine is gutless at the best of times. It puts out basically half the power of the Zx2r Ninja. A 250 will never be as much fun as a bigger engine bike but aslong as you aren't trying to accelerate hard at highway speeds you won't really be lacking in power.

Knut

Troll hunter
A trail bike should do you. Yamaha of the Jap bikes. Versatility is the key. Plus it's awesome training for the mountain bike.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
hi,

im only 5f00t6 and have had a lot of bikes
the cbr250 is a sweet little ride, but yeah probably not suited to someone taller

i would look into a gs500
they are cheap, reliable and even if you buy an older one they havent changed in years anyway

bloke i worked with had one til a couple of months back well after he finished his p's
he was over 6foot and had no problems

and NCR600
cant say i agree with what u are saying, i have an 81 kat and i can ride it just fine
lets face it, the motogp guys are midgets and they ride the biggest baddest bikes on earth!! :alien::alien::alien:

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I do like the look of the KTM super motos but they're a little out of my price range.
I've also been toying with the idea of getting a 450 dirt bike and transferring it into a motard. Is this hard to do?
Depends on the bike. The problem is the faster Enduros have tiny service intervals (300kms or less) which rule them out...

Last edited:

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Depends on the bike. The problem is the faster Enduros have tiny service intervals (300kms or less) which rule them out...
Mmmmmmm you would be doing engine/gearbox oil and filters every 500km ish if riding dirt (late model KTM experience)... You could comfortably extend that a bit if riding it on the road as its not as taxing on the bike.

You will want to fit a cush hub or sprocket though if motarding an enduro bike or else you may lunch a gearbox pretty quickly...

An Aprilia SXV 550 would be sweet. Always wanted a crack a SM racing....
Parts = expensive and not the easiest to come by.

Would do a bit of research into the Aprilias SXV 550s......they have been known to be more troublesome than other offerings on the market...

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Its only going to be for a short time, so go with something reliable, that has a decent following (for resale value), regardless of size. When you get your full license, you will upgrade any way. If your concerned about size because of your height, I'm also 6'5", and there aren't a lot of bikes out there that will feel or look correctly sized, even once you qualify for unrestricted, so a compromise is necessary. I started out on a 1997 Honda XR250R, It was a great all round road/trail machine. I think dirtbikes give way more bang for their buck in the LAMS department, and are easier to re-configure to your height than a road/sportsbike. They go anywhere, are cheap to run and you get the best of both worlds. You can trick them out nicely too, if thats your thing. I currently ride a 2011 DR-650SE, It's a solid reliable workhorse, LAMS approved, plenty of info available in the mods/upgrades area, and it fits me great. It (like the KLR650) runs really well on the highway, and around town as a commuter, cheap to buy new (under $7500.00 on road) and will last you till your on your full license.
The main thing to remember is that motorcycling on your L's & P's can be some of the best and most fun times you can have on two wheels, I have had many great times on some great and powerful motorcycles, but some of my best memories are from when I was restricted to my trusty old XR250. It becomes an addiction, and soon enough you will long for more and more power, but there is beauty in the simplicity and utilitarian nature of a small bike.
just think, Hi-rise handlebars and riser kit, Lowered footpegs and extra foam in your seat, heavyweight rear shock spring with the right pre-load and you'll be comfy as.

And if you end up going with a sportsbike like the tried and true CBR250RR, you'll have no probs getting your knee down in the twisty bits, and just think like Bowser in MarioKart!