L plate laws..

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Just saw a friends status on ze facespace that stated he got pulled over in NSW for doing 100km/h while he's displaying Learner plates..

I know that NSW Learner drivers are capped to 80km/h, although Victorian Learner drivers are not.. Do Victorian learners have to obey NSW learner rules even though they are not capped? Or can they freely travel at 100km/h but risk getting pulled up by every cop that sees them..?

I do know that technically, for SA drivers who are capped to 100km/h and or NSW drivers who are also capped to a certain speed have to obey this in other states as their license states they are not allowed to exceed the speed sanctioned on their license.. But what happens to the L plater that has no sanctioned cap that is driving in a state where there is a capped speed for local drivers?

grundy

Likes Dirt
thats also what i heard from a friend who lives in queensland, i recently drove to sunshine coast from melbourne. going 110km plenty of coppers who saw me on the way and never got pulled over..

Danoz

Likes Dirt
i have a victorian probationary license and i was pulled over driving through NSW for doing 100kph and apparently it doesnt matter where youre from you have to obey the laws of that state. so if p platers are capped to 80kph then im assuming learners will be too

I_EAT_DIRT

Likes Dirt
I've got my L's in QLD, and i guess you would say that we aren't "capped" as we are allowed/required to drive the speed limit on any road IN qld. However i believe if there is a "speed cap" in another state or teritory we have to abide by it.

madboy

Likes Dirt
I think I know the answer to this.

You are restricted to the Learner driver restrictions in the state that you are driving in.

I.e in the ACT, you are restriced to the speed limit even though you may be for QLD or Tassie.

I think that makes sence.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was told that you are governed by the laws of your state of residance, so if from qld, obey qld laws, nsw obey nsw laws ect. Might be worth a call to the local cops to find out what the go is if he got fined.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Had a quick squizz on vicroads but couldnt find anything. I thought it was based on the licence, ie. a nsw license would have to obey nsw laws everywhere, otherwise how would a 17yo P-plater be able to drive in Victoria...

I was told by a family friend who happens to be a NSW policeman that I, with a Vic license, was able to drive at Victorian speeds. Later though, I heard that you must stick to the laws of both the state you are in and the state you are licensed in.

On a side note though, doing 90 on the Hume with trucks speeding past you surely isn't the safest thing in the world.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Had a quick squizz on vicroads but couldnt find anything. I thought it was based on the licence, ie. a nsw license would have to obey nsw laws everywhere, otherwise how would a 17yo P-plater be able to drive in Victoria...
Restricted by your license class I believe.
I was told by a family friend who happens to be a NSW policeman that I, with a Vic license, was able to drive at Victorian speeds. Later though, I heard that you must stick to the laws of both the state you are in and the state you are licensed in.

On a side note though, doing 90 on the Hume with trucks speeding past you surely isn't the safest thing in the world.
Try tell that to a cop, it doesn't work, I know.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
It's also the responsibility of the driver, or the budding driver in this case, to be aware of the laws in each state.
Which is an absolute pain in the ass considering how they change from license to license and border to border.

When I was in younger driver, L platers followed the rules of the state they were in, and P platers followed the rules of the state they came from. Just to make it even more confusing, if you call one branch of the RTA, they'll point you to the opposite state saying they can tell you how it works.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
I remember reading a article in a recent newspaper about a few Victorian L platers being booked for doing 110 km/h in NSW. My opinion is that it comes down to the police officer's opinion, and what sort of day they're having, that are patrolling when your out driving.
I have a NSW learner license but I still do 80kh/h in Victoria. It's funny watching cars get boxed in behind you when there's a bit of traffic around.

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
i have recently got my L plates and i was just thinking wouldn't you just go the speed limit for that road ? doesn't mater what state your in ?

Dante666

Likes Dirt
i have recently got my L plates and i was just thinking wouldn't you just go the speed limit for that road ? doesn't mater what state your in ?
sounds like you may be losing them soon.....as far as i can tell from talking to driving instructors, cops etc, you follow the laws of the state you're in. eg NSW L-Platers can do 110km in vic but only 80 in NSW...

the only thing i can see from this is the need for standardized road rules country-wide

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know two ACT P platers who have been ticketed in NSW for this issue and both were able to write in and have it cancelled.

The restriction is at the licence level, the speed restriction exists for holders of NSW Probationary licences only.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
You guys all should know you can get your p's in NT when your 15! Just need a residential address, then drive anywhere in Aus with it! I guess it's the state you come from.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I live in QLD, and went to Sydney and Canberra for a holiday, but we drove. After asking a relative who is in the Police Force, I had to abide by the individual state/territory's laws. So I ended up doing no driving in NSW at all. That said Canberra allows you to drive what ever the speed limit says, same as QLD.

I think the NSW law is ridiculous, because if you are a Learner, how are you supposed to learn to drive at 'speed' when your capped at 80km/h? Also, if you can't drive at the speed limit, in my eyes I am not sure whether you should be driving.