Jobs and Quitting

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'm going to try and give him some notice, but I don't how well that'll go down cause I'll most likely have to take Monday night off due to my arm, he won't be happy due to it being a long weekend and all.
From his prospective I understand, you are engaged in what is considered an extreme sport, the first thing most bosses want in this industry is simply reliability.

From your view, you are doing the right thing - give him some notice (last job like this I offered to stay on until they had a replacement), thank him for employing you (especially if he's a megalomaniac), leave on good terms, reflect on what you have learnt and find a job that suits your lifestyle or one that you enjoy more. There is no benefit in burning bridges, short term fun for potentially long term woe.

I was in various labour jobs for about 15 years and had only one or two bosses that I wouldn't run down at night if I could get away with it, learning to manage bosses is a skill well worth having to have learned.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
From his prospective I understand, you are engaged in what is considered an extreme sport, the first thing most bosses want in this industry is simply reliability.
Which is what he wants, not what he deserves. I can understand if you're employed full time the boss should be concerned about weekend activities but a casual job with teenagers you get what you deserve.

Definitely not a good idea to burn bridges if you live in a small town haha.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Update:

I didn't quit tonight, figured I would just tell him that I can't work for the night so it would put slightly less stress on him, being a long weekend and all.
I have a feeling I may be on bad terms with him now, just a hunch, but if I'm going to quit I don't mind either way.

Thanks for the advice guys :distrust:

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Get a new job before tossing in a paying gig, you never know where or when your next dollar will come from. And NEVER burn a bridge, always remember the opportunity given, the money paid, the lessons learned and the experience gained. Maybe some people can suggest better paying options than Maccas or Woolworths for you but you could do worse than the structure they offer. As an employer I value that kind of experience on a resume when it comes from a large reputable business.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Which is what he wants, not what he deserves. I can understand if you're employed full time the boss should be concerned about weekend activities but a casual job with teenagers you get what you deserve.

Definitely not a good idea to burn bridges if you live in a small town haha.
I see this comment as "you're having a go at him for employing a teenager". Now I have no idea what this pizzaman is like, don't care either....but even if it's not a great place to work, he's giving some kid a break and letting him gain some "valuable" experience.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
Can I assume that both of you discussed payment before you started right? How long have you worked there?

There have been some good bits of advice here, "dont burn your bridges" and "line something up before you go."
But I liked the one, harden up princess. Thats what you need to do, sorry... ;)

I work on both Monday and Saturday nights and he essentially expects me to do nothing over the weekend and do no sports whatsoever.
And what pisses me off even more is that he didn't even ask if I was ok, just if I could work on Monday still.
They have a business and it that depends on the people who work there, reliability is key.

However, you are doing it the right(courtesy)by going down the "giving notice" track, do it like that. That can never be held against you and it shows that you have some decent values.
But one thing is for sure, never expect an employer to have a soft side for your extreme sport, they may be interested.......but only care that you show up on a work day.
Here is the ironic bit though, my boss started of in a pizza shop just like you....and now he has his own company.

Good luck ;)

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
But I liked the one, harden up princess. Thats what you need to do, sorry... ;)

They have a business and it that depends on the people who work there, reliability is key.

However, you are doing it the right(courtesy)by going down the "giving notice" track, do it like that. That can never be held against you and it shows that you have some decent values.
But one thing is for sure, never expect an employer to have a soft side for your extreme sport, they may be interested.......but only care that you show up on a work day.
Here is the ironic bit though, my boss started of in a pizza shop just like you....and now he has his own company.

Good luck ;)
I do need to harden up :)
And I didn't really mind that he doesn't care for my sport, just that he is trying to tell me what I can and can't do, which I feel is just wrong
and then after saying that he just hung up on me. I'm just really confused and annoyed, thats all

bardynt

Back in his day.....
I think if you're not worried about a reference from him then quit tomorrow

i know from personal exp heard the big boss says who cares if this guy is stressed he gets paid enough so he can deal with the problems. So really when it come down to it i have learnt that if you turn up time do all the right things the one day you're late they will go off at you.

I work with employees who are constantly late and nothing much gets said and they get away with things at work. So to me loyalty do sent mean much they will sack you tom and not worry about it.

So if you not happy at the work and not full time i don't think you need to give two weeks notice

i think you find in most jobs that you are just another number to a boss and they couldn't care about there employees its all about money whether they can save money they will fire you without thinking twice about it.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
You never, ever have to give notice at any workplace if you wish to quit. The only thing you're compromising if you don't give notice is your leave entitlements (or other accrued entitlements). If you're Casual (or not even on the books!?) then the only thing you have to lose is a possible referee.

As (most of the older) people have already stated, don't burn a bridge, leave on good tersm and continue on lifes merry way :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
I think if you're not worried about a reference from him then quit tomorrow

i know from personal exp heard the big boss says who cares if this guy is stressed he gets paid enough so he can deal with the problems. So really when it come down to it i have learnt that if you turn up time do all the right things the one day you're late they will go off at you.

I work with employees who are constantly late and nothing much gets said and they get away with things at work. So to me loyalty do sent mean much they will sack you tom and not worry about it.

So if you not happy at the work and not full time i don't think you need to give two weeks notice

i think you find in most jobs that you are just another number to a boss and they couldn't care about there employees its all about money whether they can save money they will fire you without thinking twice about it.
Hmmm, a disappointingly (and disturbingly) cynical view.

While I don't doubt it may be a reflection of your personal experiences, in my 43 years in the workforce (yes I started at 12) while I have certainly worked in many, many situations you describe (and at least learn't what not to do or how to behave), thankfully I have also worked in situations where my boss cared about both the business, and as a consequence the employees. Something I have carried through my working life as a core value (and have manged 46 staff across the state).

Sure the number of superficial self centered supercilious pricks sometime seem to out number those with true community values and spirit, but don't be conned into thinking this is the only way.

I'm not religious but the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" must surely be the obvious foundation (and therefore justification) for all our actions in life.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I've had to call work on 3 separate mondays to tell them I can't come in for the next 4-6 weeks coz my collarbone is broken. Each time I have apologised and come into work later that day to show them the xrays and have a chat. The third time they thought I was joking. Never has it been mentioned that I should not do extreme sports. They asked me matter of factly if I would stop riding, and I told them no way in hell. It does put the employer in a bind but that's a trade off for hiring causal employees. As for "What am I supposed to do?" That's what the manager is payed for, he gets the big bucks for making decisions, don't let that bother you one bit.

As for quitting, I remember they had a thing called "Step-up" when I was in high school, it was about entrepreneurs and how they made themselves half rich. One lady quit a job very early on in her life, and quit with very little notice. Years later she met her old boss, and explained how she was stressed, young and stupid, and how she regretted the way she acted and how she treated her former boss. The boss then introduced her to his friend, and she got a job offer from the friend. So you just never ever know where you or he will end up. Keep it civil, it might cost a smidgeon of dignity if he's an asshole, but in the long run it could be worth it.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I personally wouldn't just walk out on the job... Mainly because I think that it is unfair and not very professional. Even if you only gave a weeks notice he at least has a chance to find someone to replace you and you can then walk away knowing you have been resonable about the situation. The last thing you want to do is walk out on a job without giving notice and it have a huge negative affect on his business/family. As a few other people have said, apply for a job at any of the larger companies... Big w, woolworths, Coles etc. They offer decent money, flexible hours/days and there are set rules in place.

Good luck with it all!

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
I do need to harden up :)
And I didn't really mind that he doesn't care for my sport, just that he is trying to tell me what I can and can't do, which I feel is just wrong
and then after saying that he just hung up on me. I'm just really confused and annoyed, thats all
Yeah, that can happen.
I am only assuming but if your boss may have a background(European?), many that I know and have worked with in my time just do simply that....work.
Thats all they ever do from an early age(Im talking about the older generations, 50+)and sometimes you just need to understand their way of thinking.
If this is simply a cash in hand job, stick with it mate.....unless you would like to be a check out kid at Coles or serve stoner's French Fries at maccas on a Saturday night
I think you just need to stick with it mate, you'll find in time you will benefit from these experiences! ;)

Cheers

bardynt

Back in his day.....
Yer fair enough but things have changed in the workforce since you started and not for the better.

i have worked in big companies and small companies and a lot of them you're just another number on the payroll to them

i think i can count on one hand that the places i worked were the boss actually gave a shit about his employees

there is consequence so most places i have given two weeks notice but last employer was complete tool that no one could stand he used to go through about 2-3 new staff every month.

well maybe by the sounds of it need a boss like you cares for his staff and values them

Hmmm, a disappointingly (and disturbingly) cynical view.

While I don't doubt it may be a reflection of your personal experiences, in my 43 years in the workforce (yes I started at 12) while I have certainly worked in many, many situations you describe (and at least learn't what not to do or how to behave), thankfully I have also worked in situations where my boss cared about both the business, and as a consequence the employees. Something I have carried through my working life as a core value (and have manged 46 staff across the state).

Sure the number of superficial self centered supercilious pricks sometime seem to out number those with true community values and spirit, but don't be conned into thinking this is the only way.

I'm not religious but the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" must surely be the obvious foundation (and therefore justification) for all our actions in life.

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
Yer fair enough but things have changed in the workforce since you started and not for the better.
".......not for the better"??? I mean no offence but that is a joke right.
The rights that many Australians have today are because many before had fought hard to get. When I started work, there were no rights for me. If you say that in reference to the employer thinking you're just a number, well I guess many Australians think that about their job, its just a job. Right? Get your money, get pissed....call in sick.

I love my job....Its not glamorous, nor will I pick up chicks with it. Im usually at the arse end of the builders love letter list, but when I go to work...I smile. It provides for me and my family. I really have some dark days but I wouldn't change it.

I just wanted to point out work is what you make it! ;) I have only worked for two employers in 25 years.

Cheers

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As for quitting, I remember they had a thing called "Step-up" when I was in high school, it was about entrepreneurs and how they made themselves half rich. One lady quit a job very early on in her life, and quit with very little notice. Years later she met her old boss, and explained how she was stressed, young and stupid, and how she regretted the way she acted and how she treated her former boss. The boss then introduced her to his friend, and she got a job offer from the friend. So you just never ever know where you or he will end up. Keep it civil, it might cost a smidgeon of dignity if he's an asshole, but in the long run it could be worth it.

TOTALLY went to this :) is a great program for anyone offered it through their school. Anyway, carry on...

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
UPDATE!:

So I quit tonight after my shift. My boss, although he was previously in a shit mood, was OK about it. I'm still working my Monday shift for him because he's going out of town and couldn't get someone else to fill in, so I feel I'm leaving on somewhat of a good note :single_eye:

But, for some reason, he asked for my tax file number...
I think something may have happened, audited perhaps? Either way, why should I need to give him a number after I'm not even working there?!

And yes he is Italian so he has worked since he was 10 and left school at 15 to work, same as most of his other relatives who work there that are as old/older than him.

Thanks loads for all the opinions everyone, they helped me hugely :fat:

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
He is right he does need your TFN as he will have to pay your tax on what you have earned. Its not common for an employee to not get a TFN when you start but its also not illegal as long as he gets it before the EOFY. Which he is doing now. It wont be because he has been audited its prob just how he works.