Jjaaappppaaannn

bazza

look at me
So I can get return flights to Tokoy for $250 incl 20kg's of baggage. I think that rules pretty hard. Anyone want to come on a cycling holiday? Is it possible? What time frame should I leave? Going to go an get a Lonely Planet book today to try and start plotting out its feasibility and that its not going to cost like $5grand for 2 weeks haah. Any info on going to Japan/enjoying it on the cheap would be appreciated massively!

RCOH

Eats Squid
How do you get tix so cheap. Gan you get me one!

I say go Spring or autumn if cycling - I was there in winter & it was cold, pretty wet and snowed on occasion, though it was nice when sunny & dry. A friend just got back 2 weeks ago and she said it was above 30 and humid pretty much every day for 3 weeks.

Now about that ticket....

cam.w

Likes Bikes
Think he might be talking about jetstar's new flight route. They're given cheap flights to hong kong i think, and japan. Have fun paying for extra luggage. No doubt they would own your wallet for the extra weight on "long" haul flights.

bazza

look at me
Think he might be talking about jetstar's new flight route. They're given cheap flights to hong kong i think, and japan. Have fun paying for extra luggage. No doubt they would own your wallet for the extra weight on "long" haul flights.
i think i might have to ditch the bike and just boost it for a holiday. its jetstars new cheap flights. they leave via gold coast and cairns. its $205 with walk on baggage and $260 with walk on + 20kg. you can pay more and get 30kg but its a HUGE jump. but you do get the flash seats and service. it will probably just be qantas on a jetstar flight hahah.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
Bazza, I just had a look at the site and it was $200 one way. Did you get in super early for $205 return? Well done if you did:)

bazza

look at me
alright so this is how its shapping up so far
check for what the weathers like at that time of the year FIRST
if all good than
fly to tokyo find a way to nagano or rent a bike and ride there over a few days (400km's)
enjoy nagano and check it all out and enjoy, possibly do some day trips or more out of there
get back to tokoyo and live that up for a 4-5 days

possibly go over for 2-3 weeks. depending on availability of being able to ride from tokyo to nagano or the other way around. emailed the freeride adventure guys and hopefully i can get some more info from them on a few things. if not its back to the drawing board!

Ivan

Eats Squid
As people have said, you WILL get stung for excess baggage if you go ver the 20kg's. In January Qantas tried to charge me 22 000 yen for being 6 or 8 kilo's over.:eek:

bazza

look at me
As people have said, you WILL get stung for excess baggage if you go ver the 20kg's. In January Qantas tried to charge me 22 000 yen for being 6 or 8 kilo's over.:eek:
yep so i have ditched the bike idea. for $260 bucks its worth it just for a weekend of partying haha. just waiting on a reply from that freeride group for some more info.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can, definately go to an onsen (hot springs). When I went in December last year, I homestayed in Hokkaido (another place you should definatley go to), and it got to -11. It wasnt windy, so you could walk around in t-shirts if you wanted to. You hear alot that Japan is expensive compared to Australia, but the tourist-y things are much cheaper. markets in places like Kyoto and Hiroshima are great.

Do you know any Japanese?

Ivan

Eats Squid
yep so i have ditched the bike idea. for $260 bucks its worth it just for a weekend of partying haha. just waiting on a reply from that freeride group for some more info.
With the price of those flights I am even considering heading over for a short holiday. I spent two weeks there in january and it was fantastic, and cheaper than I expected.

If you find out any MTB info let us know. I went snowboarding in the Nagano area (Myoko specifically).

sketchy ads

Cannon Fodder
Bazza, If you plan to travel by train get a Japan Rail Pass before you leave. It'll save you a bucket of money compared to paying for fares each time, especially when you use the shinkansen. I was there for 2 weeks in July and easily used at least twice its value in fares. It's simply a must have.

bazza

look at me
ok going for 2 weeks in early march. should rule. still have no idea what im doing. there are a few bike tours in tokyo (morning/half day/all day stuff) so i might just hit them up for a few tdays. than spend the rest of the time exploring/checking it all out. any advice?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You will need lots of spending money, the Yen is going through the roof right now with everyone buying it to cash in the cheap loans they took a while back.

atschool

Likes Bikes
If you can, definately go to an onsen (hot springs). When I went in December last year, I homestayed in Hokkaido (another place you should definatley go to), and it got to -11. It wasnt windy, so you could walk around in t-shirts if you wanted to. You hear alot that Japan is expensive compared to Australia, but the tourist-y things are much cheaper. markets in places like Kyoto and Hiroshima are great.

Do you know any Japanese?

yeah onsens are great. just be sure you don't have a tattoo as they won't let you in. japan can be pretty cheap but with the rate of the aussie dollar at the moment maybe not at the moment.

Ivan

Eats Squid
yeah onsens are great. just be sure you don't have a tattoo as they won't let you in. japan can be pretty cheap but with the rate of the aussie dollar at the moment maybe not at the moment.
I have a very visible tattoo and have been in the onsen. So thats not entirely true, BUT, everytime I got in one everyone else seem to evacuate pretty quickly.