Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've been clipped in for nearly 20 years and thinking of dipping a toe into flats. Does anybody have thoughts about some of the cheaper options on Pushys sale at the moment?

View attachment 390790
These Etnies are $65

View attachment 390791
Unparallel are $80

View attachment 390792
Adidas Five Ten Freeriders for $125

There are pricer options from Etnies and Crank Bros as well.

Ultimately I don't want to spend heaps in case I don't gel with it, any reason to go with or avoid any of the above?

View attachment 390795

If I don't get a satisfying response before the free shipping deal ends I will buy these to qualify.
I ride a couple of pairs of the etnies, different model but look almost the same. I like them they are not as sticky as the 5/10s but great for the price.

Edit: just went and had a look and I have the Etnies Culvert. More protection for the toes and probably run a bit narrow.

Go the 5/10s you can't go wrong and the olive and black is only $89

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I ride a couple of pairs of the etnies, different model but look almost the same. I like them they are not as sticky as the 5/10s but great for the price.
They have some more expensive Etnies too - might have to investigate the differences.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
They have some more expensive Etnies too - might have to investigate the differences.
Sorry didn't refresh before editing my post. I have the Culverts which have more toe protection and probably a bit stiffer. Go the Olive 5/10s for $89 you can't got wrong with those.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Sorry didn't refresh before editing my post. I have the Culverts which have more toe protection and probably a bit stiffer. Go the Olive 5/10s for $89 you can't got wrong with those.
Can't see the Olive 5/10s, but I'm filtering for shoe size. Are they the same model as the one @Mattyp didn't get along with?

Realised I wasn't filtering for Euro sizing, which has added Ride Concepts and Shimano to the mix - but at higher price points.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Can't see the Olive 5/10s, but I'm filtering for shoe size. Are they the same model as the one @Mattyp didn't get along with?

Realised I wasn't filtering for Euro sizing, which has added Ride Concepts and Shimano to the mix - but at higher price points.

They are the ones that @Mattyp didn't get along with but to be fair they aren't DH shoes. Kicking a rock is kicking a rock, I used to have 5/10 Impacts which had great protection but really limited movement. For the type of riding your suggesting they are a good place to start.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

They are the ones that @Mattyp didn't get along with but to be fair they aren't DH shoes. Kicking a rock is kicking a rock, I used to have 5/10 Impacts which had great protection but really limited movement. For the type of riding your suggesting they are a good place to start.
Hmm, weird those didn't show up on my search, price is right. And I'll stick to the smooth stuff first up anyway.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
OK, so, here's a controversial point, especially from someone as mostly brand snobby and pendantic as myself.

My FR Pros have been dead for a long time, and I've been usign them as daily wear as they're no longer supportive enough on the bike. I got a pair of Afton Coopers, which have great and replaced my primary riding shoes. They're brilliant, supportive, grippy and so far very durable.

But, a while back when MTBD had a special on, I picked up a pair of their house brand Cleanskin shoes, paid about $75 for them or so. A cheap experiment I figured to replace my daily shoes, commuter shoes and "hope on a bike with my 3 yr old" duties. So far I've been quite impressed. They're 100% cheap, the build doesn't feel like it would hold up to the abuses of riding everyday in techy, abrasive terrain, but they're really grippy so as a "dip a toe into flats", it would be hard to recommend anything else.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Those could work too @Isildur - would have to add shipping or find some other junk to add to the cart so probably same price as the 5/10s

Normally I would be brand snobby and spend more too, but there's a strong possibility that I'll struggle to break two decades of bad clip habits and throw them in the corner in disgust.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been clipped in for nearly 20 years and thinking of dipping a toe into flats. Does anybody have thoughts about some of the cheaper options on Pushys sale at the moment?

View attachment 390790
These Etnies are $65

View attachment 390791
Unparallel are $80

View attachment 390792
Adidas Five Ten Freeriders for $125

There are pricer options from Etnies and Crank Bros as well.

Ultimately I don't want to spend heaps in case I don't gel with it, any reason to go with or avoid any of the above?

View attachment 390795

If I don't get a satisfying response before the free shipping deal ends I will buy these to qualify.
I've got some Ernie's marana with Michelin soles. The grip is reasonable. They were surprisingly narrow. I've had the for a fair while now and they still cramp my feet up after a hole despite being well stretched and as loosely laced as I can get them. Otherwise they are comfy. Uppers seem durable. The sole has torn up easily from my pedals.

Side note - a few weeks back I got out for shuttles for one of the old freeride or die crew's birthdays. He was wearing a set of 5:10 lion king that we purchased at the same time a lot of years ago. Mine fell apart after about 12 months and we're a generally disappointing shoe.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Those could work too @Isildur - would have to add shipping or find some other junk to add to the cart so probably same price as the 5/10s

Normally I would be brand snobby and spend more too, but there's a strong possibility that I'll struggle to break two decades of bad clip habits and throw them in the corner in disgust.
No help with the shoe selection but IMO you need to set a minimum six month window for transitioning back to flats, it will likely take at least that long to get back to the "perceived" riding level you were clipped.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
No help with the shoe selection but IMO you need to set a minimum six month window for transitioning back to flats, it will likely take at least that long to get back to the "perceived" riding level you were clipped.
Under no illusions that it's going to be a challenge.

I'm not a particularly skilful rider and sometimes I feel like the clips are holding me in a really static position on the bike. I'd like to get more flexible and move around a bit more.

The other factor is I'm moving away from Canberra for six months or so to somewhere with flatter trails, and also letting work take a back seat for a bit so there'll be more time to fit in a ride just for experimenting.

Have gone for the 5/10s, just because they seem to have been the benchmark (even if they're the 'lesser' newer ones) and the price was right.

Will be an interesting experiment.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

I'm not a particularly skilful rider and sometimes I feel like the clips are holding me in a really static position on the bike. I'd like to get more flexible and move around a bit more.

The other factor is I'm moving away from Canberra for six months or so to somewhere with flatter trails, and also letting work take a back seat for a bit so there'll be more time to fit in a ride just for experimenting.

Have gone for the 5/10s, just because they seem to have been the benchmark (even if they're the 'lesser' newer ones) and the price was right.

Get yourself a set of Chromag Daggas and you could confidently ride in moccasins. :p

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Long pins for the win, regardless of what pedals you are using.

I use plastic crank bros stamps. Standard pins are cack, I replaced them with 12mm s/steel ones. Great pedals now.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I actually bought some freeride pros, half price on pushys. Seemed pretty good. I'll have a comparison at some point.

Not that flat haha, just the south coast.
How far south? If you are close to Wollongong we have some very not flat trails.

ausdb

Being who he is

My $0.02 as a flat pedal noob, I'm not much of a rider and have always ridden spd's until this year. My shoes are Culverts and pedals Chromag Synths. I find there's less float with the flat's and shoes, you put your foot on the pedal and it just stays there and it takes a conscious effort to rotate unlike that little bit of twist you get with spds. I can't really comment on how they go jumping and getting air as I'm shit at that.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
The Freerides are fairly flexy but comfy and good for wide(er) feet, I've just switched to them. Not sure on those Etnies but that Marana my son have are a lot stiffer with slightly more protection as well as being slightly narrower. And then you have something like the 5/10 impacts that could take a missile strike and are stiffer than the Etnies'

Agree on longer pins - somewhere like the https://www.thefastenerfactory.com.au/ you can get a pack of 100 for $10 should be able to find the right type / size / length