Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

zooks

Likes Dirt
Anyone got any updates on shoes these days? Im in the market for some.

Im on my 2nd pair of Leatt 3.0 shoes within 5 months and this 2nd pair going back (heel part at back has started to come apart/un-glue after 3 rides)

Eyeing out the RC Livewires, Spec 2FO, NW Clan 2

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I'm currently wearing and selling a pair of the Unparallel Dust Ups.

Been a pretty good shoe - but I havent been able to get the foot plant right on these. Guy a ride with loves them.

Problem with shoes they're a bit an each to their own.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/unparallel-dust-up-us11-5.320423/#post-3487610 (free plug!)

Trying to figure out what I try next - will either be back to the Freerider Pro and complain about the price and the longevity or try something new and probably complain about them as well.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Im on my 2nd pair of Leatt 3.0 shoes within 5 months and this 2nd pair going back (heel part at back has started to come apart/un-glue after 3 rides)

The Livewires I have are doing well at 12 months old, tread seems to be going OK. The only minor complaints I have at this stage is about the weight and the rubber compound on the Livewires compared to the 5/10 Pro's because they seem to be less grippy in the wet, but I don't notice any difference in the dry.

Isildur

The Real Pedant

10 months on and the Afton Cooper are holding up really well. Still grippy and still supportive.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Livewires I have are doing well at 12 months old, tread seems to be going OK. The only minor complaints I have at this stage is about the weight and the rubber compound on the Livewires compared to the 5/10 Pro's because they seem to be less grippy in the wet, but I don't notice any difference in the dry.

View attachment 388747View attachment 388748
Yep similar experience to mine, I'd say just slightly less grippy than the old Five 10's overall sometimes repositioning I actually find that a good thing.

I'd buy another pair

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I've been really liking the standard 5.10 freerider, and they can be bought for around $140.

I wore out the first pair I had and replaced them with the impact pro, which I hated.
Too stiff, no feel or grip and my feet would get bounced off constantly. Sold them after 2 rides and went back the standard freerider and couldnt be happier.

slowmick

38-39"
I bought a pair of NW Clans about 12 months ago. Very comfortable from the first wear - you could easily wear them as a casual shoe (I may have). Can't comment on their stickiness compared to others - they work for me but I am a 20 year + clipless user. Also have Spec 2FO in clipless. The 2FO is a much stiffer shoe and take a lot longer to wear in.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
On the subject of sole pin wear, I have found this stuff to be fantastic.

Has a hardness of 65+-5 Shore A which as far as I could tell is pretty similar to my RC Wildcats. I just fill the pin gouges in every now and then after giving the sole a really good clean and dry.

Not real neat. But does the job.

After a bunch of rides

Flow-Rider

Burner
The original Livewires had a different tread compound (Rubber Kinetics DST 6.0 high grip rubber), just had a look now, and they've upgraded to the same as the Wildcats (soft and grippy 4.0 MAX GRIP rubber). That's a shame that they've taken the option away of having a harder rubber.

(Jan/2019) "The sole of the Livewire is constructed with a rubber blend that was developed with Rubber Kinetics, and it's rated as a 6.0 on Ride Concepts' own grip scale, which is said to equate to a medium-high amount of grip – in this case, the lower the number, the grippier the rubber. For instance, the upcoming DH-oriented TNT shoe rates a 4.0 on that same scale. The sole itself is comprised of dozens of 12mm wide hexagons that interact with a pedal's pins to keep the shoe from slipping around."review-ride-concepts-livewire-shoes.html

(4/2022) Soft And Grippy MAX GRIP Rubber Outsole Since originally taking the stage as the best budget-friendly flat pedal shoe on the market the RC Livewire Flat Pedal Shoe has been upgraded to include a soft and grippy 4.0 MAX GRIP rubber outsole for improved grip and pedal feel. It will solidify the Livewire legacy as a reliable shoe to live in, from the singletrack to the bike park, all without compromising style.
https://www.pushys.com.au/ride-concepts-livewire-flat-pedal-mtb-shoes-black.html

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been running the RC Hellions for a little while now, absolutely love them.
But take my opinion carefully as they are my first ever flat pedal shoe lol.

But I love the stiffness, coming off clip shoes such as the Giro Camber 2. And have not had any grip issues, even during my transition from clipped in to flats. If anything I had to get used to 0 float and how difficult it is to readjust due to the grip.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I've been clipped in for nearly 20 years and thinking of dipping a toe into flats. Does anybody have thoughts about some of the cheaper options on Pushys sale at the moment?

These Etnies are $65

Unparallel are $80

Adidas Five Ten Freeriders for $125

There are pricer options from Etnies and Crank Bros as well.

Ultimately I don't want to spend heaps in case I don't gel with it, any reason to go with or avoid any of the above?

If I don't get a satisfying response before the free shipping deal ends I will buy these to qualify.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
@Tubbsy the Freeriders pictured are grippy and pretty comfortable, but if you are riding chunky rocky downhills they offer little to no protection (don't ask me how I know, but my big toe was black) and are a quite soft/flexy shoe. It's actually put me off wearing them.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy the Freeriders pictured are grippy and pretty comfortable, but if you are riding chunky rocky downhills they offer little to no protection (don't ask me how I know, but my big toe was black) and are a quite soft/flexy shoe. It's actually put me off wearing them.
Thanks @Mattyp - I suspect it will be a while before I attempt anything chunky as I'm anticipating a learning curve. But good info cheers!