Is the forum favorite flat plastic pedal the … ?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I’ve been asearching, but I can’t seem to find the thread… is the Nukeproof Electron Evo Flat MTB Pedal the flat plastic pedal that dudes aplenty were raving about earlier this year… ?

Anyway, the reason I ask two dogs... I weighed the Primo pedals I occasionally put on my wife’s bike … WTF!!! … 780gms ... so, I’m looking for some cheap light flats that get a good wrap.

Son has Protons on his bike, they didn't feel quite right for me. Same/similar pedal to the Electrons
They are light, couldn't give you an actual weight but they are light.
As an aside, he just got 7 stitches in his calf from the pins when he stacked it riding home last week. No hands with feet on the forks so I found out. Feet up part I found out today. haha. Doofus.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Does it have to be fantastic plastic ? I don't think you can go past Welgo MG-1s for value.
From memory the MG1s are like 370g for the pair?
I picked up a brand new set of MG1s off ebay about 7 years ago for my DJ bike for like $35? They're still running amazingly to this day despite being used the whole time. Would highly recommend if you want a light, cheap flat pedal.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno if your foot gets on with DMR (trailing edge shape makes for effective spin to shin) but the plastic V6 is low 300s from memory

SummitFever

Eats Squid
My wife uses the Xpedo XMX24 pedals. They are an awesome pedal. Grippy, lightweight and thin. They're around $70 off fleabay but well worth the extra money. Between my wife and my two kids we've been through almost every type of flat pedal and these are by far and away the best.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
a bunch of the plastic with metal pins are actually the same pedal. V6's are awesome. Very little concave, but just enough that the plastic pins grip like shit to fur. I use them with a few different shoes and have yet to find ones that won't stick. NP and V6 weigh roughly the same in that 350g range. V6 aren't considered serviceable but they are $20....held up just as well as any of my NP (of which i have 3, plus 1 that's the same but different brand).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
a bunch of the plastic with metal pins are actually the same pedal. V6's are awesome. Very little concave, but just enough that the plastic pins grip like shit to fur. I use them with a few different shoes and have yet to find ones that won't stick. NP and V6 weigh roughly the same in that 350g range. V6 aren't considered serviceable but they are $20....held up just as well as any of my NP (of which i have 3, plus 1 that's the same but different brand).
How often do you get shit stuck to your fur?

Beej1

+1 for the Hot Candy pedals. The actual main component of the pedal is identical to the Deity Compound pedals, only the Deity pedals don't have the centre pin fore and aft.

Can't really notice much of a difference between both sets ... but I think it feels like the Deity pedals are easier to re-position my hoofs upon whilst riding due to those two less pins.

Or I could be imagining it.

Either way, I doubt i'll be laying down any more coin for better pedals in the future should either of these crap out.

moorey

call me Mia
Electron are bonza. Wellgo spry and mg5 or 6 are thinner, lighter and cheaper though. $60 delivered often.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Nukeproof Horizon pedals are pretty awesome. The only real problem they have is that the bearing preload screws back out after every second ride, but I am pretty heavy and rough so your mileage may vary.

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
I've got some Stolen Thermalite pedals. I bought them as an interim pedal but they have been good so far. Plastic pins that are moulded in but they weigh 370gms and are about $25 online or $35 to $40 in store.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Raceface Chester Pedals. My GF Loves them! Especially great if you have small-ish feet. I run the RF Atlas, but she finds them too wide, doesn't get the pin contact she'd like. With the Chester, she has full grip, so much so she changed the Atlas on both of her bikes to Chester. At $80 a pair, they're not cheap, but they're bloody awesome.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Well in the end I didn't go with plastic... I went with some Cyclingdeal branded Wellgo B274 magnesium flats that are almost identical to the Sudpin IIIs on my Cotic... they are pretty light at 305g for the pair, very grippy and fairly thin. $60.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
The Darl test rode the new pedals tonight, on an urban ride to a Vietnamese eatery, one suburb away... and the verdict was a big thumbs up.
A real mtb ride will be the actual test... but I'm confident they'll be sweet.

BTW, her way of saying something is good... is that she didn't notice them or forgot completely that they were there.

Last edited: