Is Chivalry Dead ???

danv

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
Rik, Wookie and RCOH (maybe Carlin too) were witness to this:

Coming back from Chatty skate park one afternoon we were on the train. There was a lady, about 55 in the shade, well dressed almost even a little distinguished looking. She had three large bags, two of them BIG travel type luggage cases.

When we got of the train there was a large set of stairs to climb. I walked up and said "Here you go I'll give you a hand" as I would woman/man/child. I reached out to pick one up and was on the receiving end of "FUCK OFF" So loud the whole station heard it and turned to look just in time to see her belt me. Yes, she actually hit/assaulted me.
Just going by your account, I can understand why she would react negatively to your gesture, I probably would too. Definately not to that extreme though.

If a stranger said they where going to help me then reached for one of my bags, without waiting for a response from me, particularly when I had a bunch of luggage that I would have to abanond to chase the person if they ran off with the bag, I wouldn't feel happy or trusting towards the person.

From what you said, it sounds like said you were going to help, without asking, and then grabbed her bag, without asking. I know I would feel threatened, especially if I was a foreign tourist.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
johnny said:
Ha! I was a little too shocked and embarrassed at the time to verbalise my thoughts......I was actually worried she was going to belt me again. I never would have believed that an elderly lady could pack such a wallop! :eek:
Mate, let's get one thing straight... 55 is NOT elderly.

Dicky

Punter God
Rik said:
... changing car (and bike!) tyres on the side of the road, push starting cars, lifting prams up staircases, returning found phones/wallets. Whenever I see someone in need and I can assist, I'll do my best to do so. But unfortunately, I can make kids [and apparently, little old ladies on trains] cry just by looking at them, so not everyone is willing to accept my help.
I get the same thing knocking on doors at night to tell people they've left the interior light in their car on.
(If the door's just not latched properly, a quiet shove fixes it. I haven't tripped any car alarms yet...)

The reaction to 'excuse me, do you own such and such car parked in the street' is often fear/shock, as though I'm about to tell them a truck's just ploughed it 30 metres into a power pole.
They're quite thankful once I tell them though.
Lighten up people...!

Rik said:
I think too many people are stuck living their life with their blinkers on... not caring about anything other than their own petty existence, so the thought of stopping to help a stranded motorist or struggling mother just doesn't doesn't enter their mind...
...or they're a bit too paranoid that people are just being nice in order to screw them over.

and yeah, sometimes it feels like it's not worth it - but you do it anyway.
A mate and I came across a broken down limo - stuck in the middle lane, in Five Dock, in Friday afternoon peak hour.
We left our bikes with some kids, and proceeded to push said 3 ton limo about 100m along the highway to the first turnoff.

...and the driver forgot to say thanks...

Meh.

Chivalry could also be called karma.
It's not dead, it's just been tarnished by nice friendly bag-snatchers on TV.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
danv said:
Just going by your account, I can understand why she would react negatively to your gesture, I probably would too. Definately not to that extreme though.

If a stranger said they where going to help me then reached for one of my bags, without waiting for a response from me, particularly when I had a bunch of luggage that I would have to abanond to chase the person if they ran off with the bag, I wouldn't feel happy or trusting towards the person.

From what you said, it sounds like said you were going to help, without asking, and then grabbed her bag, without asking. I know I would feel threatened, especially if I was a foreign tourist.
Allow me to flesh it out for you. I didn't just make a grab for her bag and I probably didn't say "I'll take that for you", I probably said something along the lines of "would you like me to carry that for you". I put it that way for clarity of argument. Plus, without knowledge of the train station you are not aware that it is a huge flight of stairs, there were many around at the time (about 4pm) and it would have been pretty impossible to 1) run up the stairs with bags of that size 2) hard to get away without some one else stopping me and 3) most importantly I had yet to get passed the ticket collectors and train guards.

In short, your lack of information has led you (understandably so) to a false conclusion. I had made eye contact, she knew I was coming to help her by my whole demeanor and body language and I didn't make a grab at her bags as if she wasn't allowed to knock it back. I did not assume that I could, without approval, just pick her bag up and start carrying it. I know it may have been construed that way from my post, but give me a little credit ;) We were also in a rather high socio-economic area with low crime rates.

Ol' man Grip said:
Mate, let's get one thingstraight... 55 is NOT elderly.
Haha! Is to me mate :p :D

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If I had a dollar for every letter and email I've sent to the ruling coalition, I'd have about $13.

You can lead a horse to water, but if you hold it's head under and kick it in the arse the RSPCA will get ya!

[swap horse to Howard and RSPCA to ASIO]

I have spy pics of Howard and Alan Jones doing a 69er!

wombat

Lives in a hole
johnny said:
I have spy pics of Howard and Alan Jones doing a 69er!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: when they're taken in a studio by professional photographers for publicity reasons, they're NOT "spy" photos. ;)