If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well could have chosen to live just about anywhere in Aus and we ended up settling down in Nannup WA, it just seemed like a nice place and having a DH trail nearby scored points big time of course.

I think if I could live anywhere in the world I'd want to move around a bit, if cash isn't a worry then why settle down in one place? Maybe have a home base but I doubt I could pick one spot and be happy there forever.

We've got our little (7ac) patch of paradise here where we are now, it's kind of the Aussie dream, big house, bit of land, trees and a dam, big shed etc etc. But you know if a bushfire came through it would all be gone and we'd have to start from scratch, so as nice as all these things are I'm not one to get attached.

Only problem is that I've lost my desire to go camping and travelling because we are pretty much living in the bush.

Overseas is kind of a scary thought for me though, Mum brought me to Oz from Croatia just before the War broke out, haven't been back since.

Oh earlier this year Hubby did apply for a job in Canada BC, far out wherever that mine site was is like 9hrs from Whistler as far as I could tell (Tumbler Ridge) and in the middle of nowhere by the looks of it, I knew most other countries were smaller than Aus so I was surprised. I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere in Aus but at least there is always some kind of riding close by and you don't have to stop riding during the winter!
Our kids are still very young so going overseas probably would have been a good experience for a few years, he didn't get the job and if any more opportunities came up I would take a lot of convincing!

S.

ex offender
You must really love Canada! Well done for being so persistent. Sounds like a tough life!
Not really actually, but I'm already here so I'm making the most of it before I leave. Maybe if I come back in a few years with more money I'll like the place as a whole more, but seeing the average living conditions and the problems with the place, it's not somewhere I'd want to live permanently. I see the same trend with most of the Aussies here... plenty of em have been here for a year or two but invariably they eventually get sick of having no money and go elsewhere (usually back to Aus, sometimes to the UK).

Skivi: Ljubljana is the coolest city I've been to, that place is freakin awesome. Dunno if I'd get bored of it after a while if I lived there, I was only there for 4 or 5 days, but damn that place isn't one to miss!

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
Skivi: Ljubljana is the coolest city I've been to, that place is freakin awesome. Dunno if I'd get bored of it after a while if I lived there, I was only there for 4 or 5 days, but damn that place isn't one to miss!
yeah it's pretty special and such an hidden gem yet still only a short flight from all the central european hot spots. my old man was born there, the family i have over there are fantastic so I'm keen to try and live/work there in a few years for a couple of months once my dual citizenship is finished. my Slovene is very poor though, i'm learning Spanish instead haha. i can see myself getting bored of the size of the capital but i love moving around so i'm sure i could definitely cope with living there, also the women, my god the women.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have spent a total of 1 day in Slovenia , near the Italian / Croatian borders. I'd love to spend some more time there , check out lake Bled etc. Its amazingly picturesque , as I imagine Austria and the rest of the Alps would be too.

I've visited my dad in Croatia twice in the last few years. I could see myself retiring there , got quite a few relos around Buzet. The whole of Istria is very nice and there's some good riding too. Pebble , if you get the chance in the future , go check it out.

In response to the thread , too tough to call without seeing more of the world. But I could safely say somewhere in Europe would do me.....near the Alps. :)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I'm not sure where, I'll let you guys tell me where to go. :p

• Average temp of 20-22 degrees all year round.
  • Excellent selection of gullies, spurs and large rocky slabs.
  • Fast draining, preferably black soil that is abundant and easy to dig.
  • Forrest conditions without the erosion/drainage factor.
  • Various geographic features preferable- eg river/boulder outcrops etc.
  • helicopter access to drop in generators for hammer drill purposes and other tools for serious track development.

Council that's pro-bike.
About 300 private acres.
Obedient track builders who know how to build for free. :p
Shuttles on cue if I can't be bothered riding up.
Cabin with spa, and top of the line kitchen that remains well stocked.
Preferably Europe.

Last edited:
How to choose

I have travelled allot for my age, lived in many different countries, and the though of choosing one place to live for the rest of my life seems wrong.

With that said, in my later years, I hope I end up in a place like Margreat River WA. Drink lots a fantastic wines, surfing big bad waves, ridding some easy trails, 4wd up and down the beach, fishing to my hearts content !

But until then, the plan is to shred up as much as possible, see as much as I can handle, test out all climates and terrains, and love every min of it.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
On the beach the Pipeline Masters was filmed from.

Beachfront house, crowded surf but deep, deep pipeline barrels.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
+1 Hawaii

Surf ... Mountains ... idyllic temps ... relatively cheap ... food anywho ... its still relatively natural ... well the bits that aren't tourist traps anyway ... Eddie Vedder lives there so it must be good.

Alternatively ... Lake Tahoe area
Stones throw from Yosemite, not far from Vegas ... bit further again Utah, San Francisco, or LA the other way ... dirt cheap season passes (summer and winter). The sacrifice would be less convenient surf locations (+4hrs driving prolly ... in relatively cool water) ... but could replace that with the occasional surf trip to Mexico instead :p :cool:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Anywhere but Beijing.
Man, it constantly baffles me how you survive in Beijing. I know you've got your reasons, and well-justified reasons they are, but I couldn't do what you're doing and live in a place I generally dislike.

Don't you ever just get the urge to move back to Sydney permanently?

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree.

I could live temp in a place I dont like, but for more than a year I couldnt do it...

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be switching between the Remarkables in Queenstown and Sumner beach and Taylors Mistake in Christchurch below Port Hills. I love NZ, everything is just so chilled, I wouldn't have trouble finding work seeing as my uncle owns a proshop in christchurch, and my other uncle owns a car sales business. The real estate is also very cheap, and to go over there with a decent amount of money, and to put a payement down for a house would be cool.
There are so many amazing tracks in NZ, don't get me started on dream track and porthills. Then there's the skiing and snowboarding which is also great.

But I would also agree with Tristan, I love Sydney, and Plan to live here for the next 10 years of my life, before making lifechanging decisions.
Tom.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Best thing I ever did was leave the North Shore of Sydney.

Hate to say it given the proportion of Rotorfarkers who live there, but the ratio of arseholes to normal people is huge compared to anywhere I've been, with the exception of Mosman where I worked.

My stress and anxiety levels have crashed to all time lows since not having to deal with traffic, pricks, outrageous rent, pricks, crowded everything, pricks and pricks.

Adelaide is ok, but quiet and the weather is unbearably hot at times.

The lifestyle is much slower paced and affordable, you can buy a beer AND find a place for 10 people to SIT DOWN at 7.30 on friday night in the CBD.

However, I'm moving to the US - Ann Arbor to be precise. While the lifestyle of 3 months of unbearable cold/snow, plus all the bad things about the USA will be hard to adjust to and I prefer the Australian lifestyle - in terms of career there's not much contest.

Our government recently decided to "ecourage" young academics to "seek interational collaboration" then "return to Australia with those international relationships". That translates to dumping early career academic positions across the board, and funding several extra high end, high income academic postions instead. (needless to say, if you want an EXCHANGE of ideas you need people to come here as well as go overseas - seems more an exersize in trying to get big names in Australian universities than "encouragement" for young scientists)

So, basically it's looking like that for a significant period of time, the US will be the best place to be for both my partner and I in terms of career prospects.

Johnny, you may have to start liking Bejing more :p

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Always had a soft spot for Esperance WA, or Augusta WA. But lots of places in Tasmania and NZ as well... just not in a city please.

Used to love Sydney till I was around 30 and it just started choking and now I truly get nothing from the place and really hate visiting it.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Adelaide. Hands down best place to live I've ever come across. You get the benefits of it being a city, but without the unnecessary hustle and bustle of places like Melb and Sydney. I can quickly and efficiently do what I need to do in this city, without ever having too much of a headfuck.

Plenty of stuff to do around here, too. Yorke/Eyre/Fleurieu Peninsulas, fantastic wine regions, Kangaroo Island, Flinders Ranges, mid North outback, etc.

As for overseas, I enjoy travelling, but I wouldn't like to actually permanently live in the places I travel to. Australia is where I belong. San Francisco would be nice though, I really love that city.