HSC - call it quits?

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Entering the doubtful stage of senior school...

I am sick of school, hate it to no end. My question is, is the HSC honestly worth getting?

My situation:Year 11 (technically year 12, at least thats what they say) Just started the 'Year 12' phase of the HSC course. Now, I want to drop out. I absolutely hate school, see it as a waste of time. Every single day is a depressing chore.
i want to drop out and move straight into an apprenticeship. I figure if I can stay in this apprenticeship, I wont need the HSC anyway.

Should that fail, I plan to join the infantry.

Should that fail, I can always do a tafe course and get my HSC at a later date should the need arise.

As expected, parents arnt in favour of it, but its my decision anyway.

My question is, have you found that you really need the HSC, or if you dropped out, do you regret not getting it.

What do you think I should do?

Cheers

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of my best mate just dropped out and wa sin the same year as you. He was getting average marks(60's) did not enjoy school and is heavily involved with rugby union and is trying to make a career of it.

He has just started a building apprenticeship and has more time to focus on sport etc as well as getting paid. HIs parents supported him in the decision cause they thought he made a mature decision.

When I look around at my year at school half of them are drop kicks just staying in school so they dont have to work ad arent smart enough to realise they could make more money in the future and now with a appreticeship

MTB_91

Likes Dirt
HSC equivalent to a Yr 12 Certificate?

School is the best years of your life...My brother regrets not putting in that bit of effort ALOT. Finishing year 12 would give you a better chance of gaining an apprenticeship I'd say, but if you got Yr 10/11 Maths B/C and English down, and someone is willing to give you a go at an apprenticeship go for it...Physics/Science's would be a help aswell for industries like Electricians and the like.

What subjects you doing at the moment and what do you enjoy?

well, ADFA vastly chooses students with more schooling over those without...

its only what, 12 months left ?

sit it out dude, you've gone too far to ditch it.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Im at the same point in my school life, although im not going to drop out.

I'd say, if you hate it that much, why not drop out? If you dont think your HSC will get you anywhere or if you decide to get a UAI but cant be fucked working for a reasonable one then why not drop out? Like going to school is freakin annoying for me too, but i know what i want to get so i can work for it. It sounds like for yourself you arent going to really work too hard through year 12. Is this correct? Cos if it is, time is spent better somewhere else IMO. Hope it all works out for you dude. Just have fun.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
Visious, Im not going to ADFA. Thats for officer entry. Im just going grunt. Education requirements for that is passes in year 9 maths and english.

At the moment im doing general maths, standard english, modern history (soon to be dropped), drama and SLR (sport).

Im looking at going into a locksmith apprenticeship. And if these are the best years of my life, well....god im rooted...

And HSC is equivalent of year 12 certificate

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
i was debating dropping out at the start of this year, although i'm never gonna get a decent UAI i figured i may as well stick around and see if it was gonna get any better.. just remember that the UAI is (especially these days with apprenticeship and stuff being so well paid and respected) not the bee all and end all. plenty of people have made their ways with no university training and if you REALLY want to go to UNI in later life you can always go mature age which, although is alot more work and more expensive, it is always an option

enjoi

Likes Bikes
And tristan, you couldnt be more correct. Im sick of the way schools are run and the irrelavent bullshit they are so intent to teach. I dont like learning things that I will never use again, so am therefor not likely to work to hard at it. Call me lazy...just not my way of life.

On the otherhand, I am more than happy to move into the career world, and understand its hard and is not going to be fun.

Guess I will be out there making money and living how I want to though

hubbie

Forever 1,337
i'm just a year ahead of you, and am starting HSC exams on friday. As much as i hate the thought of Exams, I'm glad i've stayed through it. yr12 was fun along with being painful.

THough i suppose i would consider myself being an academic, moreso than a labourer, so it suits me better to stay in school, especially when i plan on doing Mechanical Engineering at University or TAFE (preferably UNI :p )

THe choice is ultimately an individual one, and is different for everyone, but just make sure you dont make the decision too quickly without thinking it through enough. you don't want to quit and realise what you really want to do, you need to do your HSC for.

What you could do if you're serious about quitting is do your HSC over 2 years at TAFE, which would probably give you time to work.

best of luck making the right decision

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Absolutely stick it out. It's way to easy to drop out and can easily result in a nasty downward spiral. The idea of returning to finish it later only works if you can afford to do so later.

I'd love to return to study, but until I pay off my debts (fortunately just mortgage) there's no way I'll be able to. I did finish year my HSE though, as well as a diploma of surveying.

It's all a question of leverage.

If you have the HSE + other qualifications (more is often better, sucks I know) then you have a lot more leverage and a lot more potential than someone who doesn't.

Life outside school is competitive and you will probably be up against other people for jobs. If you look better than them, you win.

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
Everyone I know who has dropped out has gone back and done it again, and wish they'd just done it the first time around...

Finish the shit. It won't just teach you about the actual subject matter, but also the skills to stick with crap you don't like, and work hard even when it isn't all that fun. Those are skills you'll always be able to use (and the irony is, if you finish college you will probably need them less often than if you don't).

My advice, stick it out.

enjoi

Likes Bikes
What I failed to disclose before was that my two possible career choices neither require the HSC qualification. I am going to get an apprenticeship even if i do finsish highschool, so I feel I'm wasting my time there.

meh...I dunno

Balfa_Oli

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im only in year 8 at the moment but my brother is coming to the end of year 12 now. only a few exams left and its over.
You've been at school what? 12 years or something. theres no point starting out school and not finishing. The main thing about school is that your there for so long you don't need to worry about buying the groceries, you don't need to pay electricity bills.
You might as well finish school so it teaches you how to complete things. Sure an apprenticeship might sound good but is it really?
in the long run you might be better to finish school and see what UAI you get if you get a good one you might get to go into something with a little more $$ then just dropping out and doing an apprenticeship.
I'm only in year 8 and have many more years to go in front of me but i wouldn't be thinking of dropping out.

Robb

Likes Dirt
If thats the case is it possible to line up an apprenticeship before you drop out, so you are sure you are going into something?

It is only one additional year, and if you just want to pass it shouldnt' be too hard.. Year 11 and 12 were pretty cool for me just hanging out with mates etc. being in school has its advantages.
In the ACT college's they offer 'vocational training' or something similiar. So students who are more interested in mechanics, carpentary, becoming a cheif can start training in that while still getting a year 12 certificate.

mtb_slipknot_fan

Likes Dirt
Hey,
i am also in the same boat as some of you starting my hsc which is kind of a daunting thought, but then agen its just school and i know i can do it. Besides ive come too far to back down now and i also consider myself more academic aswell and know what i want to acheive in life, somewhere in the police force:cool: like a homocide detective:eek: . Ive decided to do my hsc over 2 yrs though through a thing called pathways so i can have some extra time for other activities other than school such as mtb:p . Plus a couple of my subjects are a bit hard and i want more time to devote to these so i found this was the best way to go. Best of luck all undertaking their hsc studies only a year left(or 2 in my case) of school hope you all get the marks you need/want i sure am.

Laters,
Chris

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
let me give you some.. motivation... well just somthing i saw around on the net .. i hope it helps..

" Death comes to you as an sympathetic friend, it is easy to die. But you have to fight to live. "
Some flying ace in the WWII

" A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step"
(no idea)

" Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves"
( no idea)

" You can do or be whatever you want in your own life. Nothing can stop you, except your own fears. Don't blame anyone eles.. You have the power to make the decision"
Nole ( someone.. somthing..)

ec_dh

Likes Bikes
i'm just a year ahead of you, and am starting HSC exams on friday. As much as i hate the thought of Exams, I'm glad i've stayed through it. yr12 was fun along with being painful.

THough i suppose i would consider myself being an academic, moreso than a labourer, so it suits me better to stay in school, especially when i plan on doing Mechanical Engineering at University or TAFE (preferably UNI :p )

THe choice is ultimately an individual one, and is different for everyone, but just make sure you dont make the decision too quickly without thinking it through enough. you don't want to quit and realise what you really want to do, you need to do your HSC for.

What you could do if you're serious about quitting is do your HSC over 2 years at TAFE, which would probably give you time to work.

best of luck making the right decision
dude im onto my second apprenticeship went 3rd year today as a gyprocker and lovin it i used to be a chef but bailed out in my second year as work took over the meaning of my life, the building industry can be rough but if you find a few decent blokes to work with the day is very enjoyable i work with differeent people all the time and when im eorkin with people i get along with im happy to get up and go to work i finished in year 10

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Here's some friggin' motivation.

Do your HSC. It's 2 friggin' years of your life. It's nothing.

I never did mine, and I regret the hell out of it. Don't assume you will earn anything approaching good money as a tradesman. Some do, 90% don't.

You'll end up 50 years old, working your friggin guts out for f*ck all money, PARTICULARLY if you go into one of the more academically inclined engineering trades.

People will assume you are stupid and/or lazy if you don't have a HSC. Whether you are or not is another matter, it is exactly the same as the 'old boy's club' scenario practiced by most of the better private schools and older more established universities.

The people handing out the jobs have a HSC, and probably went to university. They give jobs to people like themselves, not dropouts.

Go to school. Get a HSC, then do an apprenticeship if you feel like it.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as someone above asked, are you sure u can get the aprentaship? id get it lined up before i quit school.

who know if u will like it. if you dont, and dont finish HSC you MAY have some minor troubles.

i wouldnt worry to much about your future. i had a mate who was a qualified auto elec and he quit and went back to uni at 28. did better than me!

what ever you do, your young and you have plenty of chances to do whater.

clockworked

Like an orange
People will assume you are stupid and/or lazy if you don't have a HSC.
not only will people assume it, it will prove irrevocably that you are either stupid or lazy.
there is no good reason to drop out with one year to go. its one year, you have around 79 more to be lazy and ineffectual. and if you stay, it proves to yourself and others that you are not a quitter, you can talk about having a work ethic and being more suited to the working life until the cows come home, but when it comes down to it, actions speak louder than words

Whether you are or not is another matter, it is exactly the same as the 'old boy's club' scenario

The people handing out the jobs have a HSC, and probably went to university. They give jobs to people like themselves, not dropouts.
damn straight. the real world is heartless and unfair! also, employers take the best applicant for the job, the more credentials you have, the better

besides - yr 12 is piss easy in hindsight

and if you plan to go to uni later in life, don't. nobody likes mature age students - they are just taking places from younger people that have a longer working life to contribute after uni than they do