How good is Auspost!

Ideate

So the story is.. I ordered some cranks about two weeks ago. Seller was in Adelaide and posted to me via regular post in Melbourne. I still haven't received the item and this is what the Auspost tracking looks like.

auspost.jpg

I'm not here to Auspost-bash (and it's nothing to do with the seller - it's out of our hands) but I thought it's hilarious that nearly every state has been involved in this simple operation. I've never had trouble with Auspost before either.. but is this something that happens regularly?

It's a bit of first world problem really.. because the package will eventually turn up but it's amusing that it has to circumvent the continent before it's final delivery.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It happens with couriers too. I had 9 pallets due to ship Syd to Melb with next day service end up in Perth, made them fly them same day to me.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Happens all the time when you're rural. Even better is the courier jobs. Half the time it hits my town and then sits there for 2 days until the lazy prick who looks after the final deliveries can be bothered bringing it the last 20km of it's journey...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe it's held up in Tas with the floods?

You should be thankful, my last 2 items didn't have their tracking numbers entered, I had to take the old wait-and-see approach.

Ideate

Happens all the time when you're rural. Even better is the courier jobs. Half the time it hits my town and then sits there for 2 days until the lazy prick who looks after the final deliveries can be bothered bringing it the last 20km of it's journey...
That'd shit me. Can't you pick it up?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I feel so alone when thee things happen. My experiences with Australia Post are all positive.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my actual delivery guys I have where I live are great...but the actual delivery to those guys...express post is good, but anything that comes from regular post or international...nope... It's great to watch the tracking of something coming from EU or US.. stuff seems to be 2 days from senders door to Melbourne, then it hits austpost and then 10 days to Tassie...like wtf.

But i did have some stuff posted express from Melb the other day, sent 3pm Wed arrived 8 am Thu

But my delivery guys are simply awesome.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It's a battle of wills. I've paid for door to door so I ring and bug the shit out of them and they kick my box around the office...

Sent from the USS Enterprise

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
If we don't lodge over the counter and get a scan event, we lose approx 1 in 4 packages. If it's lost, Aust post follows the approach of 'all care, no responsibility'.

International packages are even worse ... That said, USPS and NZ Post suck just as bad, any disputes and you on your own. Money out the door.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had an awesome delivery guy for about 3 years, until he got shitted off with the crap that he had to put up with and went to a different industry. I bought him a big bottle of JD every year, he delivered my stuff every time, no bogus cards... even put the packages in a cupboard/box around the back and left me a cryptic card.

He was an Auspost contractor too.

It is what it is... express post is a sure thing usually. Seems to be the only postage method they get excited about.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I've always had good experiences with AusPost - often way better than I expected...

This recent experience with an order from NZ has been somewhat amusing tho:
1. 27/5/16 - Ordered from ### website .
2. 30/5/16 - Contacted by website - website didn't calculate shipping to Aus. correctly, requested $45 more to pay for tracked shipping,
3. 31/5/16 - Paypal link for shipping sent by website for extra $45. Paid immediately.
4. 3/6/16 - Confirmation email from website, item shipped.
5. 8/6/16 - Package makes it to distribution centre in NZ, and then onto aircraft.

So in other words - while there was the initial "problem" with the website, it has taken 8 business days between order and the product leaving the country! It has taken 3 business days between pick up and it leaving the local distribution centre...

Not angry quite yet - more amused - but hoping it wont continue for too much longer...

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I had an awesome delivery guy for about 3 years, until he got shitted off with the crap that he had to put up with and went to a different industry. I bought him a big bottle of JD every year, he delivered my stuff every time, no bogus cards... even put the packages in a cupboard/box around the back and left me a cryptic card.

He was an Auspost contractor too.

It is what it is... express post is a sure thing usually. Seems to be the only postage method they get excited about.

At work we always make sure to try and get on the good side with our couriers and throw them the odd box of booze at Christmas. We can usually hear them reversing up our driveway so one of us will always make an effort to run out and lend a hand rain, hail or shine even if it's just a single box. A bit of respect goes a long way and I've been able to call in a few favours over the years to get hold of urgent deliveries.

It does depend on the person though, most appreciate the help, but there are some who just don't give a fuck.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Everything i have bought has arrived eventually you just have to be patient.
Half the fun of buying non life saving stuff is the anticipation and surprise.

Ideate

If I left work now, I might make it by Sunday for a pickup!

wyndham.jpg

Update, it's now in transit to Wyndham WA.

wa-wyndham.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ordered some stuff from Bike discount DE which arrived in the country 8 days ago and was handed from DHL to Australia Post. No updates since then so I phoned customer service and was told the package is water damaged and they need to contact the sender. Over a week and neither the sender or myself had been notified!

stirk

Burner
It will be interesting to see if there is a post code and or state in the addressing!

If there is well this is just astonishing, but is also completely within our expectations.