How do you fuck your jockey wheels?

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a bit anal and clean my jockey wheels and chain after each ride

I use one of these brushes

71w43XZVaVL._SL1500__ml.jpg

currently running XX1 and rear derailleur has done about 7000km, jockey wheels are fine

see pic below

image1.JPG

so, bought a 2nd hand derailleur and the jockey wheels are fucked! and its only done 1500km, I knew they were dead, and only paid $100 for the XX1 rear

image2.JPG

Is this due to cleaning or a chain that is too long (someone has mentioned that previously)?

moorey

call me Mia
I just wouldn't. Even with lube, it's gunna hurt. :fear:

Personally, I've never worn one out. I've bought used mechs with munted jockeys, but never managed to do it myself:noidea:

BT180

Max Pfaff
I had a 24hr race in horrid, wet and mucky conditions and my jockey wheels ended up like that. I'd say it just from a lot of riding in sh!t conditions and failing to clean the bike after.

stirk

Burner
Haha, all you can see of the thread title from rotorburn general page is how do you fuck your jockey! Certainly sparked my interest.

My jockey wheels look little ninja stars after about 2000kms which is acceptable for what they go through.
Probably lack of maintenance but I ride in wet sandy conditions.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Used to wear them out all the time in my bicycle messenger days, using a wet lube that collects grit and never cleaning them.

The grit acts like sand paper on the plastic wheels, looks like whats happened here.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
The grit acts like sand paper on the plastic wheels, looks like whats happened here.
yeh i tend to not lube the jockeys unless theyre particularly getting squeaky (when its very dry & dusty and i havent had a chance to go over the dt thoroughly)
...but usually cleaning with a toothbrush & kero & a rag does the trick everytime....never let crud build up for the reason you stated

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty lazy and wash my bike maybe every three months but I have never worn a jockey wheel out, I don't think I've ever had anything fancier than a bushed roller though. I have only run Sram once so maybe that's why, only got a few km on it before swapping back to Shimano but that was back when 9speed was newish.

EDIT- I doubt I have ever done 7000km on one rear mech, is see that wear as more than acceptable, if it drag you'll see it on one side of the teeth so it just looks like normal wear.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
I think clutched wears them a little more, particularly the lower one. I clean mine fairly regularly, but mates who don't wear them out much quicker

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Well there's my new thing learned for the day - I had no idea they were plastic. Why is that, to reduce unnecessary wear on the chain from extra metal in the drivetrain?
Shimano ones always have been, not sure about other brands. The sram ones also look a lot bigger than the shimano wonder if it makes a difference?

As will2 said definitely weight related and I'd guess ease of manufacter, I dont think metal ones would make a significant difference in wear, most of that would occur with the higher loading between the cassette and front ring.

Off to check all the jockey wheels for cleanliness.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Aren't XX1 wheels (as the OP has) ceramic? The stuffed ones look to be plastic though.

EDIT: that's just the bearings though, isn't it.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
In which instance you need to lube the bearings or bushings, depending on jockey wheel design. Lubing the teeth does diddly-squat.
not the teeth... that would just encourage grit build up!
bushings & only if theyre running noisy...just a dab of triflow

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I just wouldn't. Even with lube, it's gunna hurt. :fear:

Personally, I've never worn one out. I've bought used mechs with munted jockeys, but never managed to do it myself:noidea:
What's your chain lubing process?

I use a wet lube normally just before a ride. I wipe the chain too but it's quite wet still and this in turn coats the jockey in lube. A wet jockey attracts dust and sand which turns into a course paste hence my poor jocky gets worn out quickly. It's a consumable like a tyre. :llama:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
clean chain with rag
use brush to clean jockey wheels and chain
use rag again to clean chain and chainring
lube with rock n roll extreme
pedal in stand for 10 seconds
wipe off chain with different 'cleanish' rag
wipe off jockey wheels and chainring
pedal a bit
wipe chain again

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt

I use a wet lube normally just before a ride. I wipe the chain too but it's quite wet still and this in turn coats the jockey in lube. A wet jockey attracts dust and sand which turns into a course paste hence

sounds like youre using too much, your jockey wheels should not be coated in lube thats for sure....
you only need a drop on each roller/link...thats it. no lube necessary on the chain anywhere else i.e sides

my poor jocky gets worn out quickly. It's a consumable like a tyre. :llama:
its not really a consumable....my deore shadow mech has lasted 10,186.0km (about 1.5 years) with no visible rounding off or sharpening of the teeth

Last edited: