Home Brew

will2

Likes Dirt
Just threw down a Home brew. Pacific Summer Ale as shown on the Coopers website. However swapped out the summer for Moteuka hops because the LHBS didn't have any. Pitched with Safale US-05. Going to dry hop it with some galaxy in a few days. By all accounts its a pretty good brew.
Thanks for the suggestion Indica!

My first lid that came with my fermenter was busted and I never got airlock activity. Finally got around to going back to the shop and got a replacement hopefully this one goes alright.

Last edited:

boyracer

Likes Dirt
^^ I"ve given up on the lid and just cover with glad wrap and a big rubber band. Curious is all and like to watch.... saisson with czech saaz and cascade bottled on weekend... delicious.

scblack

Leucocholic
What type of fermenter are you guys using? I only use the bucket style ones, which have the seal right on the edge and does not twist a thread to lock on. I never really trusted the seal on the barrel style fermenters, the thread always seemed difficult to seat correctly.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've always used the barrel style and have never had seal issues on the thread. Use a bit of vaseline if you want extra piece of mind.

takai

Eats Squid
I use the pail style fermenters, work well enough for me.

Also impulse bought myself a Christmas present

Currently has an experimental hop IPA, an American hefeweizen and a Moteuka hopped Maibock in there.

Have a 7.8% Saison ready to go and a Blueberry Hefeweizen and a Raspberry Berliner Weisse on their way...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, that's awesome, presume you won't be making an appearance in the teetotallers thread anytime soon. When's poker at your place?

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I use the pail style fermenters, work well enough for me.

Also impulse bought myself a Christmas present

Currently has an experimental hop IPA, an American hefeweizen and a Moteuka hopped Maibock in there.

Have a 7.8% Saison ready to go and a Blueberry Hefeweizen and a Raspberry Berliner Weisse on their way...

Got a good coffee stout recipe by chance? partial or AG
like your single vessel brewery too.

takai

Eats Squid
Got a good coffee stout recipe by chance? partial or AG
like your single vessel brewery too.
Yeah, give this one a go:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/243467/coffee-and-cream-stout

I quite liked it. You can reserve half the lactose in the batch for secondary and adjust to taste. I adjusted by decanting a bottle worth from the secondary and carbing it up with a carb cap then slowly adding lactose to the pint and sampling until i was happy with it.

Read the other notes at the bottom too :)

will2

Likes Dirt
So the brew overnight had a huge spike in temp. Rocketed up to 25 from 21. had a damp towel on it too and in my bedroom where its not nearly that hot. 23 in the Day.
I'd imagine that's yeast getting active, so have a fan and wet towel on it now and its getting sorted and coming down nicely. Safale yeast so hopefully it'll be right.
But do you reckon the thermometer strips are that accurate?

will2

Likes Dirt
No, not at all accurate.

BTW fermentation is exothermic, it creates it's own heat, hence the temperature spike.
Yeah knew it was exothermic.
So would the adhesive strips be showing warmer or colder than reality do you reckon?

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Stick on thermometers

I've been assured by two separate professionals that they are fairly reliable, however lose their accuracy over time. Surely they'd be within 1 to 2 degrees.

indica

Serial flasher
I've been assured by two separate professionals that they are fairly reliable, however lose their accuracy over time. Surely they'd be within 1 to 2 degrees.
Reliable at what though?
Measuring the airtemp or the outside surface of the FV?
Certainly not an accurate idea of the ferment temp.