Home break in!

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Last night in had some scum bag break into my home.I live in small town and I guess I take it for granted most of the time and thought it would never happen to me,it wasn't the money or the other stuff that was taken it was the fact we have three children from 3 to 8 years old asleep at the time.MY first reaction was to find this person and take to them with a baseball bat but after a while thinking about it I realized how helpless I was.It's not the money that Im concerned about it's the fact that someone was in my house and I didn't know.Any one else had this happen!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yep.
Our last house (we moved out 12 months ago).. one morning I got up about 6:15am as usual, was sitting on the bed pulling on my socks and thought I heard a bit of a sound or something, just wrote it off as an anomolie being so early and on auto pilot.. So I leave the bedroom (we had the bedroom door shut as the dishwasher was on the night before and it was a loud ol' clunker), go out to the bathroom and see the back door wide open, the screen door jammed open up top at the hydraulic closing thingy they have... or are they pneumatic? Anyhoo.. and the rear gate to the courtyard jammed open.. It was bin night the night before, so I thought the wife had put the bins out and left everything wide open. so i went back in and had a little go at her, she said no I didn't, I said yes you did and she said no, i didn't put the bins out.. then it all hit me, the sound i heard was someone in our house, on the other side of my bedroom door, heard me rousing and got outta there! Nothing was touched, but I reckon they'd scoped the place inside, found a few lovelies to pinch, and arranged a clear getaway path out the back door.. My wife was a few months pregnant at the time, and it's pretty safe to say if i'd have got my hands on them I'd have seen red and nothing else till they were bleeding on the floor.
Lock your doors. Why not...

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Woah guys lock yo kids and family up!! Get a dog maybe, I feel safe knowing my dog is in the living room and will bark at any sound outside. Inside the house I make sure all the doors are open to all the other rooms so if he hears something somewhere else he can go there and check it out.
I grew up in Indonesia, and at one stage when I was 7 two blokes broke into our house. Tied my mom and dad up together and held them by their throats with machetes. Stole as much cash as possible then bailed, my parents both said at the time, the thing they were scared of most was either one of us children waking up and walking in, because we were both very, and still are, very defensive of our parents. We wouldn't have done much but would have most certainly tried which would have inevitably ended badly. After that we had an armoured guard patrol the house at night and a full blown alarm system. Not very possible in the western world however.
Since growing up there I've always been very cautious about security, making sure I lock everything when I can, leaving a light and the tele on when I leave the house etc. Another stupid thing I do is keep a $50 note near the front door, that way if I come home and the $50 note is gone, I know someone's trolled my house and become very cautious about my next steps.
Do you guys have dogs? I've always believed having a dog is a great way to deter thieves.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you guys have dogs? I've always believed having a dog is a great way to deter thieves.
Exactly what I was going to say. Dogs are the best security system you can have. Nothing gets close without either being seen, smelt or heard. Even a small/medium size dog with a good bark on it will automatically sound like a big aggressive dog to any would-be intruder.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
... thing I do is keep a $50 note near the front door, that way if I come home and the $50 note is gone, I know someone's trolled my house and become very cautious about my next steps.
My Nana was told this was a good idea by the cops after a guy was in her house while she was out the back. Small amount of cash left obvious will often stop a junkie looking any further and they leave happy knowing they've got their next fix without spending too long in your house.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
Its a horrible feeling, i had my house broken into during the day when no one was home. literally stole anything of any value. They must've been in there for atleast an hour.

In regards to the dog alarm system, I know my dog reggie (kelpy cross) would only ever lick at gun wielding intruders. We've got a budgie which would be more useful.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A few years ago my old parents woke to find no TV, VCR and most of the contents of fridge and freezer were gone too.
Turns out it was their next door neighbours! Cops said after they had taken back all my olds stuff the only food they had was a jar of veggiemite.
Druggies with 2 kids......

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I shared a house with 4 others a long time ago home in the UK. Got up for work one morning and EVERYTHING had gone! None of us had heard a peep. I literally had nothing left, VCR, DVD, mini disc, play station, 400+ CDs, DVDs phones, car keys and car contents, every drawer and cupboard was left open and food taken from the fridge. They must have been in there ages.

We have a Great Dane now, he's soft as shite and would hide if anyone actually came in, but I doubt anyone would try as his warning bark is Awesome!

Think positive, at least you were all unharmed. It takes a long time to get over the feeling of violation, and I hate to say it, but I didn't really start feeling better until we moved. Whenever I came home I hated the thought of some toerag having been in there and helping themselves.

retro racer

Likes Dirt
That sux cjaty, we are not safe anywhere anymore and you have been violated in your own home!
We can thank the DO GOODER SOCIETY for taking away the power,s of the police and courts and the everyday citizen and giving the rights to the junkies and thieves!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
When I lived in Wollongong I used to keep my fishing spear next to my bed just incase, and one night I heard some rustling in the spare room.
Full monty with spear in hand I went in and some junkie was climbing through the window and had gotten himself tangled in the venetian blinds.

All he could say was 'Sorry! Sorry! I thought this was robbos flat, sorry!'

I was scared but the fight or flight instinct kicked in and I just screamed at the top of my lungs all kinds of adrenaline fulled abuse and he somehow sucked himself out backwards through the window quicker than you could imagine and then I chased him up the driveway.

The only thing more intimidating than a man with a spear in the dark, is a naked man with a spear in the dark.

Scared the crap outta me, and him. The first thing I did was got onto the landlord and demanded they get some better locks for the windows.

Now I keep a set of race face bars next to my bed just in case. That way if I defend myself it's not with a deadly weapon, just something I had 'lying around' because my house is full of bike stuff it's not a stretch to say 'I just grabbed the nearest thing'.

As long as you and your kids are safe.

You know you can get cheap cctv cameras for your front door pretty cheap from dick smith/jaycar if it gives you some peace of mind.

Last edited:

cjaty

Likes Dirt
It's made so paranoid ,I wake Up at night and think have I locked the car is the back door locked.IM sure I'll settle down sooner or later.With the get a dog comment I love dogs and always wanted a dog but having grown up on rural land I just can't bring myself to keep a dog fenced up in town,it just feels cruel.

oldstinky75

Likes Dirt
Dogs can be helpfull to a degree, unless you've got some shady "associates"(definitely not mates) with colourfull backgrounds who gain the trust of said dogs. A while ago I'd left the house for a little over an hour, during the day, only to come home and find front door jimmyed open and all our valuables absconded. Both dogs were in the house at the time and never made a fuss, and they were very particular about who they let in. Never caught the fuckers or got our stuff back. I look back now and think I was probably drinkin at the pub with the grubs after it happened. I guess there's only so much you could do to keep the pricks out.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Depends on the type of dog. I have a Great Dane and he wouldn't know what to do on a piece of land. He lazy as and spends the majority of his time snoozing on the floor in front if the sofa, occasionally stiring to watch a bit of telly.

Some mornings I have to literally drag him out of bed for a walk round the block.

He's the easiest going, softest, scaredy cat of a dog you'll ever meet and wouldn't hurt a fly but his warning bark is awesome. I doubt anyone would attempt to enter the house once they heard him.

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Depends on the type of dog. I have a Great Dane and he wouldn't know what to do on a piece of land. He lazy as and spends the majority of his time snoozing on the floor in front if the sofa, occasionally stiring to watch a bit of telly.

Some mornings I have to literally drag him out of bed for a walk round the block.

He's the easiest going, softest, scaredy cat of a dog you'll ever meet and wouldn't hurt a fly but his warning bark is awesome. I doubt anyone would attempt to enter the house once they heard him.
That a big dog! What size block do you live on?I'm not a small dog person(terrier,chiwawa)we,ve always had cattle dogs,blue heelers but I guess they need a lot of room to move,I have three kids and they take up so much time I feel my dog would be neglected.I don't know,maybe it's time I made a compromise.

bbuzz

Cannon Fodder
You don't have to lock up a dog. We are to lazy to open and shut the driveway gates, so we leave the gates wide open and trained our dog to stay in the backyard. You are a hundred percent right keeping a dog locked up in a city yard is cruel, however only if your a dog owner who buys a dog and leaves it in the yard to rot. If said dog is a member of the family, get's to come out into the wide world with you often and is exercised then keeping a dog in city backyard is no worries. Or as other members suggested get a suitably lazy breed of dog, who will still protect.

Our girl is a shepherd crossed with a golden retriever. She is large, scary and very smart, with an intimidating bark and a sable coat that convinces most people she means business. She is a real sweet heart to family and a big softy who gets upset at raised voice, but wounderfully protective like a german shepherd. She would be the perfect dog to protect and love upon your family. The guys that decided to take play around with our hilux at 4am, sure where convinced to start running down the street real smart!

Really buddy if it were me I would be getting a dog. It gives you protection and peace of mind that you otherwise wont get. I would be worried that since you were hit once, it might be seen as a repeat easy target. Plus every kid should know the love of mans best friend!

oldstinky75 that suck big time, really do people have no morals!

cjaty

Likes Dirt
A bit of news on the break in front,Been hearing about a few break ins over the last few weeks which is unusual for a small town like Bowen,just the other night a friend of mine stumbled upon an intruder who dropped his phone on the run only to return and try to get it back.Buy this time my friend had called the cops and sprung him walking down the street(crimes are so dumb)any way the cops traced him and a few of his mates to some other breakin's so maybe these are the guys who did my place over.Being a small town there's not that many crims out there so there's good chance these's guy's had something to do with it.WHAT GO'S AROUND

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Whilst not wanting to turn this thread into a dog show-and-tell session, if you want a good watch dog that doesn't require a huge backyard or copious amounts of exercise I recommend a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They're aloof with strangers and have a decent enough bark to ward off potential bike thieves. He'll be happy enough either laying around in comfort for days on end or chasing you along singletrack.:thumb:

Here's mine......

DSC_0106.jpg

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a Rotti that is super friendly and I was never too sure how good she would be at chasing anyone off.

Couple of months ago I woke to her going mental in the front yard and some hysterical screaming. I investigated to find her chewing on some dudes calf, and he was yelling to get her off him.
She seemed to be enjoying her task and it took a few moments to distract her long enough for him to make his escape.

"Be sure to tell all your friends", I called cheerfully after him. Never had anyone else in the yard since.