HELP! People from the 80's!! knowledge needed on "sumaco bikes??" (tange?)

melbourne rider

The Select Phew
Hi there farkin seniors/older members!
I know this a bmx topic but I really need to reach a wider older audience.
Recently I came across a bmx frame from the early 80's possibly very late 70's??
An Internet search came up with a surprisingly empty amount of information, The frame is originally branded/stickered "sumaco" I have a strong feeling this was a short run from the brand "tange".
The bottom bracket installed is something I'm not familiar with on old bmx's, it's a three piece and threaded.
The bb cups are stamped "tange industries" therefore I'm convinced it's a tange??

If anybody knows or knows an expert I would really appreciate a good opinion.
I'm just a bit hessetant to get it stripped for a resto if it's rare?

Thank you very much for your help
Andrew

0psi

Eats Squid
Maybe PM a bloke on here called wes/TRUCK. Nice fella who's been around the traps a while.

There's also a BMX Race group on Facebook called Speedtap training. The group itself is a BMX race group but there's a lot of older guys on there that have, well, old school BMX fetishes.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Late 70s - early 80s is bang on "my" era for BMX but I don't recall that brand name. Tange were a Japanese manufacturer of frames , forks , headsets , cranks , seatposts and much more. They did manufacture cromo frames and forks for other manufacturers too. I owned a Rhino III frame which was one of those items.

Sounds like an Euro sized BB which wasn't common on the US designed frames but I think (from a cloudy old memory) that Malvern Star used those BBs for their BMX frames in the late 70s ? Euro BBs generally weren't common in BMX frames though , (I think some manufacturers used them in the early days ...75 - 78 ?)

Get some pics and head over to http://www.ozbmx.com.au/ . Pretty good chance the community there will be able to identify your stuff.

binner

Hath shat hymself
hens teeth

i don't recall anything of that branding.... I was all over mongoose motomag,pk ripper,tange,maddison,kuwahara, amaroo.

you could call ridgeway cycles here in bris , they guy is super ol skool and knows his fashizzle.......

I would leave it alone..... remember, like antiques once you strip or try to fix/make new the sale price plummets

good luck with your research :joyous: