Help needed, electric countdown timer.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Hello all, could be a longshot but can't hurt to ask.

I need a countdown timer, which I can set at 3 minutes or 15 minutes, which will turn off an electrical circuit and at the same time start beeping so I know it's off..

It's such a simple thing, and lots of appliances have them, such as a microwave.
But I can't find one anywhere! It's either an on/off timed switch like the jaycar timers, a basic wall mount energy lsaver timer, or a desk top clock/count down timer for cooking. Nothing that joins them together!

It's use is to turn off a small water pump i will manualy turn it on but needs to turn it self off.
I havnt bought the pump yet so the timer can be AC or DC 12/24/240 etc as ill just buy the punp to suit the timer!

Any help would be appreciated.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An Arduino would probably be the easiest and quickest option for switching a relay. (If you end up buying one don't pay full price, get a mock one off eBay for $15'ish)

If it is a low voltage/power DC supply then a simple relay would work (Use an optoisolater so you don't fry the microcontroller), but if you are going to use mains power then a pre-made solution would probably be preferable. Eg http://www.makershed.com/PowerSwitch_Tail_II_p/mkps01.htm?Show=ExtInfo

Eg could go down the route of something similar to this: http://www.belkin.com/au/wemo-switch

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I need a countdown timer, which I can set at 3 minutes or 15 minutes, which will turn off an electrical circuit and at the same time start beeping so I know it's off..

It's use is to turn off a small water pump
of course it is... :rolleyes:

Your details have been passed on to the AFP, terrorist!

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Haha, sounds bad when you quote it like that!

cheers for the help, I've given up on it.. just using a cooking timer and an electrical timer. I'm sure pressing two buttons instead of one won't be the end of the world.

those Wemo things are pretty sweet, going to buy one of them for my Missus' hair straightener.. With the amount of times I've had to turn around and go home after it's been left on. It'll pay for it self!