Heavy news: Aussie soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
RIP Cobber.

It will be interesting to see the political reactions and ramifications of this so close to an election.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Australia has the best private soldier (digger) in the world, pound for fucking pound. This is proven by our low death rate in any number of past conflicts; Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor, Somalia, Etc. Not to mention the massive successes our boys had in Vietnam and Korea compared to all the other countries involved. They serve us proud, no matter what we think of the reasons they are there.

Condolences to the family and friends. Howard and supporters, I hope your conscience weighs heavy tonight.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Australia has the best private soldier (digger) in the world, pound for fucking pound. This is proven by our low death rate in any number of past conflicts; Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor, Somalia, Etc. Not to mention the massive successes our boys had in Vietnam and Korea compared to all the other countries involved. They serve us proud, no matter what we think of the reasons they are there.

Condolences to the family and friends. Howard and supporters, I hope your conscience weighs heavy tonight.
damn straight, my sentiments exactly.

I feel bad for the family of the soldier there going to go throw a shit time for what?

so we can show the US that were there little anti-terro friends, the soldiers shouldn't be in that country anymore.

Last edited:

Doggy

Inconceivable!

Enough said.....

|Matt|

Banned
Thats awful to hear. I can't help but feel partly responsible (although I know that is rediculous) as I was just telling my parents last night that there had only (not to make them less meaningful) been two Australian soliders die in Iraq (although there have been casualties). One being Private Kovko, and another being from a car accident (I was trying to convince them to agree with me join the army, not that they can stop me once I'm 18, but I'd rather they approved.)

R.I.P

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
R.I.P. my fallen bretherine

my condolences to the family and friends of this soldier. i know what it feels like to lose somebody to war. it isn't right for our wanker of a president to send our soldiers there to fight for something that the US president started. Our country should not get into fights that we did not start, because it ends up affecting the people we love

R.I.P.

beaty

Likes Dirt
War is something that will always be apart of life. God bless the aussie diggers for doing what they do. But still its horrible to hear about a loss of a soldier :(.

R.I.P

TonyG

Likes Dirt

I'm personally against the Iraq conflict, and also any possible conflict with Iran, but I was for and still am for the Afganistan conflict. This is very unfortunate and my condolences to his family, but this conflict IMHO is a necessary one.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
R.I.P. my fallen bretherine

my condolences to the family and friends of this soldier. i know what it feels like to lose somebody to war. it isn't right for our wanker of a president to send our soldiers there to fight for something that the US president started. Our country should not get into fights that we did not start, because it ends up affecting the people we love

R.I.P.
It funny all these years I thought we had a Prime Minister not a President.

Very sad death agreed.

Don't forget however, nobody forced him to join the Army to be a puppet for the politicians.

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't forget however, nobody forced him to join the Army to be a puppet for the politicians.
yay for you dickhead!
Don't forget however, if it wasnt for people like him, both current day and in the past, we wouldnt have a prime minister nor a president- we could well have a nazi and communist 'leader' instead.

get my point?

RIP to him, and thoughts to his family- lest we forget.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your point would of held a lot more credibility had you not degraded yourself by dishing out unnecessary abuse.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate anybody who serves their country in a positive way.
I don't think there is a real comparison between the evils of people like the Nazis and our current money grubbing for oil.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
R.I.P to the poor fella

but i dont understand why would the family or anyone be shocked?
the guy went to a dangerous place where the risk of getting killed is high.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yay for you dickhead!
Don't forget however, if it wasnt for people like him, both current day and in the past, we wouldnt have a prime minister nor a president- we could well have a nazi and communist 'leader' instead.
We were under threat by the Nazi's?

It sucks that this soldier was killed, but it does come with the territory. Regardless of whether any of us agree with the current situation with Australian troops, we have little choice in anything that happens with them. Australia has tens of thousands of kilometres of unguarded shoreline, a tiny population compared to the size of our country, and loads of resources to exploit. If we weren't constantly kissing America's arse, we would be invaded quick smart.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
yay for you dickhead!
Maybe Japanese, but how would we have a German or Communist leader?

We were under threat by the Nazi's?

It sucks that this soldier was killed, but it does come with the territory. Regardless of whether any of us agree with the current situation with Australian troops, we have little choice in anything that happens with them. Australia has tens of thousands of kilometres of unguarded shoreline, a tiny population compared to the size of our country, and loads of resources to exploit. If we weren't constantly kissing America's arse, we would be invaded quick smart.
Not necessarily, there aren't many nations in the world that could get their foces here in enough abundance to take such wide territory. Indonesia couldn't, China couldn't, maybe Russia or the US, but that's about it really. But, better to have the US alliance than not.

TonyG, I agree, Afghanistan was a necessary conflict, pity it got so fucked up because attention was switched to the M.E. But, my point is, whenever a country send their sons to war, their deaths should always weigh heavy on the conscience, righteous or not. So, I probably should have just said Australia rather than singling one party and it's supporters out.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
, Afghanistan was a necessary conflict, pity it got so fucked up because attention was switched to the M.E. But, my point is, whenever a country send their sons to war, their deaths should always weigh heavy on the conscience, righteous or not. So, I probably should have just said Australia rather than singling one party and it's supporters out.
It’s a fair cop in some respects (as to Iraq).
The focus to ME is a very unfortunate distraction. Our army is being tarnished with that conflict (and I’m sure our boys over there are doing their best in a terrible situation) but when you see the good work our guys are doing in Afg. It is such a shame. This poor digger was just out guarding our engineers who are attempting to restore infrastructure. Seems a cruel blow when your mission is one of community service and you are attacked.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I agree. It's got me farked how some people actually want to live in the stone age. I hope his family get better treatment than we have historicaly given to war widowed families. Politicias wives get a better pension than war widows....

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
I am interested to know why people think Afghanistan was a necessary conflict ? I see it as a world apart from whats going on in Iraq but the premise of the Afghanistan war still doesnt sit right with me.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
At the time I was heavily in favour of it, I disliked the Taliban (more for their role in the drug trade and treatment of women than for sponsorship of terrorism) and was happy to see them deposed.

I still think that the world is better without that particular regime, however the concept of bringing democracy etc to that part of the world is a bit harder to swallow. Afghanistan has been occupied that many times in the last few centuries and they have eventually kicked all occupiers out. At some point they should be allowed to decide how they rule themselves.

I also think that the opportunity to get in and remove the taliban and get back out again was messed up a bit by the war in Iraq and that the ball has been dropped with respect to allowing taliban/al qaeda forces to regain strength and support.

Interestingly I'm living in Canada at the moment and they are also agonising about their troop deployment in Afghanistan. They have had over 70 troops killed (some even by locals and not American forces!) and there is a growing support for bringing their troops home. I don't know why they have lost so many more troops than us, perhaps they have many more or are in more dangerous areas but there is a very robust debate occurring here at the moment.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I am interested to know why people think Afghanistan was a necessary conflict ? I see it as a world apart from whats going on in Iraq but the premise of the Afghanistan war still doesnt sit right with me.
To me it was a number of reasons that added up to only 1 conclusion.

1. Afghanistan was the world's largest producer of opium/heroine. Granted, the Taliban had put a massive dent in the production, but they were also in civil war and hardly what you'd call a stable government.

2. One of the worst governments for human rights in the world. I don't have to look too much further to see some of the worst abuses carried out by a government in history.

3. They were housing a terrorist organisation that had carried out a large number of international attacks and also had the potential to grow in scale and destruction if not confronted.

Ok, I know that the opium production is up to pre-taliban levels again, I know that human rights abuses are still carrying on and I know that Al Qaeda hasn't been stopped. But, I was talking about the invasion, not the execution.

But, most importantly, I think that Afghanistan needed help and if they had got it the M.E. would have changed in consequence. The Taliban overthrown by a multinational force with UN mandate, democratic government elected in to power (this could be a religious fundemental government if that is what they chose, as long as the elections were free and they were not belligerant (sp)). Then a massive reconstruction effort by the whole world.

This way your Iraq's, Iran's and Syria's of the world would see not only the capacity and will of the world to depose brutal regimes but also the benefit of the bloke/lassy on the street. W're talking clean water, food, cooking oils and sugar, schools, hospitals, government services and safety. Tell me one society that doesn't want that.

After showing capacity, willingness/resolve to finish the job and the wish to provide instead of occupy, I think it would have been far more easy to topple M.E. governments like that of Saddam's. Firstly, you may have been able to instigate a revolution, maybe not that of the coloured kind, but better the indigenants kick it off and the world assits. Secondly, if international forces were required for the job, you would not se this massive insurgency we do now.

Lastly, Al Qaeda would have lost a HUGE amount of global support. They get this support because the M.E./Islamic world largely sees the US/West as an aggressor. If this could be turned around to be seen as a provider, liberater, things would have been very different now...., so I believe anyway.

This is what the US wanted to do. Disempower Al Qaeda, break the extremism coming fromt he region that threatened the US, push the democracy ideal, secure energy resources and I do believe liberate oppressed people. The only problem is, that they have their heads up their arse/a Republican government and let private agendas and hubris cloud their decision making.

Last edited: