Headsets are confusing when you're a bit dim....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Thanks to @Litenbror and @moorey for the offer, am keen to go new for as much as possible on this bike (probably just going to be cranks, BB and brakes that aren't new). Ordered from Dirtworks (then saw it on Pushy's for $25 cheaper - FML), so should be relatively quickly.

@pink poodle just went with the Cane Creek as the frame already has the cups in place.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd seen the 1.8 taper starting to pop up a little and I was very confused by its appearance. So @johnny I don't think you should be too hard on yourself in this case. If they had put a line spacing in and used @Flow-Rider's super boost things would be a lot clearer. You shouldn't feel limited to just using can't creek headsets either. While hey are good, there are plenty of other suitable options at all budget levels.

I'm so glad a potential new standard is emerging. How much stiffer are these 1.8 forks going to be?
BOS just introduced the single crown 39mm stanchion, so I suppose everyone else needs to catch up. I think the super taper is e-bike specific at the moment.
Wasn't this cooked up just so that E bike headtubes looked more in proportion, more aesthetically pleasing, and also easier to shape those oversized downtubes to mate with a larger headtube.
Didn't think there was much in it for actual stiffness...
I'd read that too, but then another manufacture said that it helps with the extra weight.

It's like what ever, I'd be pushing my limits with a standard fox38, but saying that everything they're doing with new bikes is loading up the stanchions more, slacker head tubes, longer travel, more powerful brakes and people riding bigger drops and jumps.

PJO

in me vL comy
I'd read that too, but then another manufacture said that it helps with the extra weight.

It's like what ever, I'd be pushing my limits with a standard fox38, but saying that everything they're doing with new bikes is loading up the stanchions more, slacker head tubes, longer travel, more powerful brakes and people riding bigger drops and jumps.
If it's about strength then why aren't e-bike manufacturers just putting dual crown forks on? The extra 1/2kg in weight can't really be a concern when you have a motor. I'm sure it's about fashion, they won't put dual crown forks on because the bikes would then look like downhill bikes not "trail" bikes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If it's about strength then why aren't e-bike manufacturers just putting dual crown forks on? The extra 1/2kg in weight can't really be a concern when you have a motor. I'm sure it's about fashion, they won't put dual crown forks on because the bikes would then look like downhill bikes not "trail" bikes.
That's a whole other issue and maybe for another thread, but in the US and like here DH trails are environmentally unfriendly, enemy no1 to the green groups. Manufacturers don't want them resembling Moto's or DH rigs, you could still make a large head tube to fit a standard taper fork, it's not like you see the steer tube because it's pretty much hidden.

Reactions: PJO