Heads Up!

wtr

Likes Dirt
YOU HAVE MAIL!

Not so surprising that Paypal or any other online shops nags you something about credit cards. However, this one set the alarm off.

Upon verifying msgcu.org, I got this:

After signing into my paypal.com.au account, I got this:

Then knowing I might get probed but still want to get to the bottom of things, I went to the link in the email and got this:

Although the forged page had most of the features as the genuine Paypal page would, but there were bits and pieces that weren't right. e.g: just have a look at the url link. Won't bother with doing a whois on the ip, but my guess won't be too far from the truth I reckon.

This is why I still remain skeptical about using the card over the net. Never know if somebody is picking up your bread crumbs. So keep you eyes peeled.
God bless firefox.:)

eternalgorias

Likes Dirt
That was a fun journey for you. The sender of the email is the easiest way to tell it's a forgery. I always check who sent what and never even contemplate opening an email form a dodgy address. Commonsense really.

Pete J

loves his dog
I got that email too, straight away i knew it was a hoax because i don't even have a frickin paypal account in the first place! :confused:
Fucking scammers!! :mad:

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh i got that one. Looked at the addy and deleted it stright away. Plus i have only just turned 18 and dont have a credit card or anything like that, so pretty much i was thinking wtf mate

[Z]

Likes Dirt
yea i got that exact same email. althoughi found it interesting because i do not own a paypal account. i also found it funny that they got straight into the whole give me your credit card numbers thing. haha keep ur eyes open!
cheers, kris

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Also their common sense skills are lacking in that first message. As if they need to repeat what they just said, having just told you why they are sending the email, they tell you again that this is why they're sending the email. Stupid.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just got the email, and it set my bullshit detector right off, no one in our family actually uses Paypal.

'Ross

Eats Squid
I got that one and I too foiled the hoax:D I use paypal, when I clicked the link thing it went to an almost exact replica of the paypal site (just the people in the photos were slightly uglier). All the links led to actual paypal sites just the url and the part you put your password in were different. I bet a LOT of paypal users fell for that one.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
OH FUCK!

I think I might have signed into that. I was on ebay after buying some new cranks when the email came through so I figured it was sent because I was paying via paypal.

HELP! Am I screwed?

*EDIT* Just logged into PayPal and removed my Credit Card for my account, there was nothing else in my History other than my cranks (I think I'm safe...)

Last edited:

protecon

Likes Dirt
OH FUCK!

I think I might have signed into that. I was on ebay after buying some new cranks when the email came through so I figured it was sent because I was paying via paypal.

HELP! Am I screwed?

*EDIT* Just logged into PayPal and removed my Credit Card for my account, there was nothing else in my History other than my cranks (I think I'm safe...)
Err.. change password!

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Yup thanks for that but I've done it too! I also changed my eBay password just for fun!
Hate to tell you but none of that's likely to be enough. If you updated your details per their bogus request did you also put in your credit card details? If so then it's probably already been used to buy a flat-screen somewhere in Nigeria.

I'd be contacting your bank IMMEDIATELY and getting a stop put on your card.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Hate to tell you but none of that's likely to be enough. If you updated your details per their bogus request did you also put in your credit card details? If so then it's probably already been used to buy a flat-screen somewhere in Nigeria.

I'd be contacting your bank IMMEDIATELY and getting a stop put on your card.
Nope I didn't do anything with credit card details. As far as I can remember all that happened was the "login" didn't work so I closed the window. Better talk to dad though, was his credit card...

Oracle, I am infact a mentally subnormal panda with the alertness of a sedated sloth sometimes...

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got that too and since my dad has a pay pal account we went to fill it in but I forgot the password. good thing forgetting stuff.