Have I been f#@ked over by BSC bike store melbourne going bust ?

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Good to hear! what sort of time frame did this happen around? I just did the same on Thursday with commonwealth.
still no notice from Bsc.
Been looking online as I'm coming to terms with the fact of buying another group (not sure what bike store in melbourne I will use now) and the prices I've been looking at are almost identical to bsc's!
I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that shimano's prices are set and don't have room to budge or bike stores are competing in price with online stores like crc??
Wasnt too long actually - probably about a week from faxing off the paperwork.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
The other BSC thread mentioned that none of the staff knew the place was going to shut down - which sounds right, if a few staff knew then everyone would have known - so how can the staff member who took this guy's money upfront, based on store policy, be accused of withholding information from the customer? Sounds like only the owner and his accountant knew about the upcoming closure.

CT
that is correct - not one staff member knew it was going to close that day - it would have been a staff member who took your money and ordered the groupo for you (without knowing) and then one day they are all told it is closed.

Feeling your pain

Went into BSC Brunswick store on the 29/05 and ordered a 2012 XT groupset as I just sold my gt and was planing to do a new custom build, handed over $1200 (bsc require payment upfront) and was told it would be in store ready to go within 48 hours.
I told them I would be back in a week or two as I'm getting John at Gripsport to paint the frame (awesome job btw looks rad!) they said that was no problem and I could take my time.
Anyway, got the frame and went down there yesterday (26/06) to find the shop empty and a sign saying "BSC has ceased trading" and "for lay-buy and repair enquieries please contact office@bscbikes.com.au"
Sent through an email straight away but no response as yet, got a sinking feeling that I'm not going to see either my XT nor my $1200 again.
This was a pretty big purchase for me and I was trying to do the right thing by going through my lbs rather than using the many online sellers.
So have any other members here had any comunications with Bsc prior to the fold? sure I'm not alone.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Certainly know how you feel I had a CX bike on lay-by and was due to pick it up last week, luckily a mate was surfing the forums and heard about the closure. I did send an email to office@bscbikes.com.au and got a response from Peter Hess about 2 weeks ago. The email sauid that they notify me when I would be able to pick up the bike and haven't heard anymore since. Checked out the Elizabeth St and Bruswick St stores last Friday and both were empty. Didnt' appear to be any stock in either stores. I did make contact with a guy on the BNA forum who had paid for a Cannondale road bike in full $2500 and was due to pick it up the day after they closed the doors. So your story has a common thread to it.

re the LBS comments. They have got to lift their game in the service department. We have 2 in Mildura that really lack in service. My riding buddies can all tell a story about something that they have spoken to the manager about, he said he would chase and never heard back unless they prompted him. One of the guys in the MTB club got so frustrated he has set up his own workshop in his shed and he is doing it for the love and the odd bottle of red. Recently I needed a BB and LBS could not supply and had to order I told him to go ahead but ordered one from Erina Bike Works who could not be more helpful. Got the BB in 3 days from Erina and was back on the bike in 4. I am still waiting for the LBS to tell me has the part for me (that was 6 weeks ago!).

mtb_pimp

Likes Dirt
any news on receiving the parts or money?dead set the amount of bush lawyers in this thread is hilarious.. with there legal advice

\

jbg

Likes Dirt
looks like some ex-BSC guys are moving on ..............

http://yuccabikes.com.au/
Yep........ Phil, Robin and Travis are all BSc ex-managment.(two store managers and the groups general manager)
Phil was the manager at the fitzroy store and was the one I bought the group off.
The new address is where BSc's owner Peter Hess was planing to open the fourth store just before the fold.
Good to see the managers have landed on their feet and are opening a new bike store in less than a month................but I smell a rat

jbg

Likes Dirt
Certainly know how you feel I had a CX bike on lay-by and was due to pick it up last week, luckily a mate was surfing the forums and heard about the closure. I did send an email to office@bscbikes.com.au and got a response from Peter Hess about 2 weeks ago. The email sauid that they notify me when I would be able to pick up the bike and haven't heard anymore since. Checked out the Elizabeth St and Bruswick St stores last Friday and both were empty. Didnt' appear to be any stock in either stores. I did make contact with a guy on the BNA forum who had paid for a Cannondale road bike in full $2500 and was due to pick it up the day after they closed the doors. So your story has a common thread to it.

re the LBS comments. They have got to lift their game in the service department. We have 2 in Mildura that really lack in service. My riding buddies can all tell a story about something that they have spoken to the manager about, he said he would chase and never heard back unless they prompted him. One of the guys in the MTB club got so frustrated he has set up his own workshop in his shed and he is doing it for the love and the odd bottle of red. Recently I needed a BB and LBS could not supply and had to order I told him to go ahead but ordered one from Erina Bike Works who could not be more helpful. Got the BB in 3 days from Erina and was back on the bike in 4. I am still waiting for the LBS to tell me has the part for me (that was 6 weeks ago!).
Bummer to hear, I think there are a few of us in the same boat.
let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same if there is any news on my end.

Yep........ Phil, Robin and Travis are all BSc ex-managment.(two store managers and the groups general manager)
Phil was the manager at the fitzroy store and was the one I bought the group off.
The new address is where BSc's owner Peter Hess was planing to open the fourth store just before the fold.
Good to see the managers have landed on their feet and are opening a new bike store in less than a month................but I smell a rat
Mmmmmmmm the plot thickens. But the store Managers and the Group General manager didn't know what was going on but have managed to raise a shop from the ashes of BSC in less than a month?

Maybe I might be able to get a good deal on some ex-BSC stock? In the market for a CX bike - Again

rone

Eats Squid
Does seem fishy. I suspect that if the business was Christmas hampers or some form of retiree investment company, 'A Current Affair' would be all over it. As it's cyclists who have lost money they are probably less inclined. I blame Shane Warne for this whole thing.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Does seem fishy. I suspect that if the business was Christmas hampers or some form of retiree investment company, 'A Current Affair' would be all over it. As it's cyclists who have lost money they are probably less inclined. I blame Shane Warne for this whole thing.
I blame scooters.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I was in the market for a saint rear derailleur a couple of years ago. Local LBS: $270, TBSM: $199 delivered, CRC: $123 delivered.

As it turned out CRC were out of stock by the time I had checked around for pricing so I went back to the LBS and told them what I had. LBS looked up his price and did the deal for $200 (essentially matching TBSM) and pointing out that he was making no money out of it. Thankfully the distributor had it in stock (unlike most S parts I order) and it arrived in a day.

I asked why the LBS didnt just buy from CRC and resell and he said if distributors got wind of it they would stop supplying him.
it is interesting in our little market here how the distributors want to have it both ways. They'll cut a retailer off at the knees if they find them back-dooring a product, yet I know of at least three distributors who have dealt directly with one of the big online stores to get rid of excess product (sorry guys - for legal reasons I can name neither the distributors nor the online store). It seems it is OK for the LBS to have to plod through and lose money, but if distributor gets stuck with a little extra product (say 600 sets of pedals) then the 'evil' online store is no longer so evil...

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Evil? From a certain point of view...

I like the idea of the managers and other associated people "landing on their feet" after the collapse. Call me cynical, but it is a little too convenient. I watch with interest. :pop2:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Will we see a bunch of cyclists bearing pitch forks and flaming torches in the Galleria come July 19th?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Will we see a bunch of cyclists bearing pitch forks and flaming torches in the Galleria come July 19th?
Doubtful. Might be more karma in it if the Galleria remained a cavernous space filled with flashy toys but empty of clientele due to a distinct absence of trust...

In terms of BSC, I have heard of recent developments that illuminate the original owner in a less than positive light...

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Just read most of this thread....

jbg - Have you been into see these guys at the new shop? Can they shed any light on your XT groupset? I would be doing everything I could to get my groupset or $1200 back. I know I don't have a money tree.

I have shopped at CRC and you would be mad not to with the $$$$ savings. There are now a few online shops in Australia. Would any of these be affiliated with the overseas online shops by any chance? Prices on some items are on par with the overseas online market?

Will a lot of LBS become just bicycle repair shops in the future?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
JI would be doing everything I could to get my groupset or $1200 back.
Would do you no good in this case.

A liquidator has been appointed to BSC but says there's little to actually liquidate since the distros that hadn't been paid for BSC stock were allowed to recover their goods from the stores. Anyone who haqd stuff on laybuy or waiting for pickup is supposed to be an unsecured creditor but the owner of BSC has apparently not told the liquidator who these people are...so the liquidator doesn't know who they are.

As for the stores themselves we have some previous staff taking on the Galleria as previously discussed while St Kilda Cycles are taking on the old Brunswick St store space....but neither are saddled with any remnants of BSC

MBPL

Banned
Details re who to contact re BSC Bikes Pty Ltd
Liquidators appointed as per details in the attached jpg..

BSC 5-07-2012 2-58-58 PM.jpg

So contact Greg Stuart Andrews about all BSC company matters.
Good Luck to all creditors.

Last edited: