• Full suspension

Votes: 19 70.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bogdan

Cannon Fodder
I would like to know the pros and cons for both a hardtail and Full suspension
1) Witch is better for general riding just around suburbia.
2) can a hard tail handle medium to rough terrain
3) what are the best low budget hardtails ($200-$500)
4)what are the best hardtails in general
5) what are the best low budget Full suspension and the best Full suspension in general
6) what is your opinion on what type of MTB i should be getting

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2) can a hard tail handle medium to ruff Turin
4)what are the best hardtails in genital
5) what are the best low budget Full suspension and the best Full suspension in general
6) what your opinion on what types of MTB i should be getting

saved in original spelling before edited!

aanon

Likes Dirt
Witch.
Ruff turin.
Genital

Awesome spilling.
Under $200, try your local supermarket, make sure the forks and stem point the right way and you're ready to roll.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
$500 wont get you much of anything even second hand. Sold my specialized xc for a bargain of 600 yesterday... and was a steal for the other guy.

A Hard tail might be your only option and a second hand one at that.

Any decent dual suspension (second hand) will cost over a grand.

Although there are a few cannondale rush lefty's going cheap on gumtree... and they are a fantastic bike to ride. Handle well and are very efficient peddalers.

All under a grand.

Michael Bogdan

Cannon Fodder
I apologize for the bad spelling but i am truly here for help
thank you to any one who help
and to the people who come and try to troll me go F**k your selves

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well come on dude, you've asked a crazy wide ranging bunch of questions with totally open answers. Everyone will have a different opinion (after they've flamed you for being funny).
Personally I think a decent hardtail starts as $2000, and an extra $1000 for FS, that's just my opinion not a fact, then you throw in the options of wheel size etc...
I also don't think any hardtail under $500 will be any good at all, even 2nd hand will be pushing it into junk status.

The bigger question is what sort of riding will you be doing on it? The figure out what you need and how much to spend vs budget.

ChopSticks

Banned
LOL

ruff Turin...... yr2 kiddies still on holidays ?

to those doubters..... $500 can get alot of bike..... told a mate to pick up a 09 Trance for $500 last week (couldnt do it myself with a broken arm/drive) and got my missus 2010 trance for $590 a year ago....there are deals out there.... you just need to know where to look and have lady luck on yourside

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2) can a hard tail handle medium to rough terrain
4)what are the best hardtails in general
6) what is your opinion on what type of MTB i should be getting
1. Suburbia? Hardtail, except when you get old and lazy and don't want to have to lift your butt of the saddle for the little bumps in the footpath etc, then dually :)
2. Some people start out doing DH on hardtails
3. $500ish would buy you a Giant Boulder, good enough for starting around and riding in suburbia, but not really worth upgrading to nice parts later down the track. $1000 is the minimum you'd be looking at for a better entry level hardtail to ride off road (unless you're looking at DJ bikes). Alternatively for $500 you could buy a pretty good BMX!
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/boulder.1/12037/57372/#specifications
4. Most brands are similar at similar price points
5. Giant tends to offer good value for money bikes, other well known brands are just as good though, depends on your budget too.
6. For under $1000 definitely go with a hardtail, unless you can pick up a dually for a bargain 2nd hand, but be prepared that there maybe more maintenance costs particularly if it's pretty old and depending on condition and how well it's been looked after.

brendonj

Likes Dirt
What you want is a 5" or 6" FS bike.
5" if you want pedalling efficiency. 6" if you want more fun on the trails.
You also want medium to high end components to keep the weight down.
The problem is you won't get this for under $500, unless you get really really really lucky.

For your budget look out for a great 2nd hand hard tail. Aside from condition look for decent wheels, fork and brakes. If you can wait and save up a few $ more, you could possibly get an ok 2nd hand FS for somewhere between $600 and $1000. In both cases you need to be prepared to hunt around and accept some compromises on what you end up with and plan to spend some more money soonish to fix some issues typical of buying a 2nd hand bike ( maybe get your hands dirty if you want to keep the costs down ). Otherwise you need to spend more.

Status
Not open for further replies.