Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
Yeah aim it up a bit. Caught the Aussie flag 3rd of the way through lol..
lol thats my next hack job to stop it from slipping back i positioned it perfect at the start of each run.
( think some bluetack shoud help keep it in place lol )
my clips from eatons is almost finished
i found that flag in the letterbox thought that would be perfect on the bike today for a australia day run lol

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Rear 9spd shifter on the left side coz my right thumb is not much good, took quite a bit of fiddling and Dremel time, works okay with a Zee mech.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Pics spooz? Sounds like a useful hack.
Looks like a front shifter but has 9 gears I don't really think a photo is needed.

Internally, I got the shifter index plate from a RHS shifter flipped it over and fit it in the left shifter. Getting the plastic thing that sits on top was a pain in the bum as was changing the cable pull. I drilled the cable hole offset then tried different layers of heatshrink around the cable to alter the leverage, two layers of heatshrink got the leverage right but messed with the overall shifting as the cable was too stiff so I inserted a thin strip of metal(big pain in the butt!) where the cable sits and that got it all sorted.

Oh and I had to custom bend the lever bit as it sat further out, initially I had to take the dropper post off the bike as I was dropping the post(uses RHS X9 shifter) instead of shifting gears, literally a pain in the arse.

Ideate

Employee that left end of last year took her microwave so I had to cook my lunch on the sammich press today.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
I have worn my brakes in by puting my bike on a treadmill and lightly applying the brakes ( one at a time ) turn it up as fast as it goes and heat up the brakes until they're bed in.

butchapalooza

Likes Dirt
Employee that left end of last year took her microwave so I had to cook my lunch on the sammich press today.[/QUOTE]

thats genius lol

and so is this best hack ever lol

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1295742717139582[/video]

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
mmmmmmm I think I might join in

Rockshox pike internals in a mazzocchi 66
Blew a seal on the footnut mid ride so replaced it with a cut up beer can, worked for 3 months until I opened it up again (pic is on the Facebook page downhill memes)
Replaced the shitty cartridge in a dj3 with argyle internals so it has rebound adjust now
Run a helmet mount for my action cam made out of scrap alloy
My Commencal has a cut can around the seat post so I didn't have to buy a new one
Lowered a 180mm 66 to 100 with a rockshox spring and some gypsy magic
I run 26" tubes in my 24" wheels because I couldn't be bothered buying new tubes

not so bike related, but I cooked marshmallows on a rigid fork my stabbing the QR drop outs into them

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
/\/\/\/\/\ Nice mods there.

I have heated and chopped a Totem spring down to make it a firmer 120mm fork, and fit a longer neg spring so it all worked.

On my Current Vengeance fork the neg spring was way too soft and I wanted ~20mm of negative travel so I found a heavier/longer spring. To make it fit I had to turn down the spring seat which was done by taping the shaft up with leccy tape then lightly clamped it in a batt drill chuck and cable tying the trigger at a slow speed, after that I removed some material and reshaped the spring seat with a soldering iron. It is better but I'm going to coil as the X fusion air spring feels pretty shit.

Last edited:

Ideate

After a week of riding the fresh build my bars came loose. I checked the bolts and the top right kept spinning (stripped). While I waited for the another one in the post I drilled and tapped one size bigger and a little longer. Got a new stem but haven't swapped it over yet as it seems to holding up better than new.

Also had no steerer spacers when I was building the bike just before a trip to falls Creek over new years. So had to improvise. I cut a piece off an old aluminium bmx peg but had to cut a strip out so it could compress smaller around the stem.

I replaced it tonight.

Warp

Likes Dirt
I tried to run Shimano levers on Magura MT brakes but it didn't work. Lever throw is too much.

ForkeSeal

Likes Bikes
You'll like this one Bazzy. I'm building up a wheel and needed a dishing tool so I used the boxes the hubs came in and a deck of cards. Accurate to within one card (kinda).

wheelDishing.jpg

stirk

Burner
Perhaps not a hack in the true spirit of bodging stuff together but I make my own guards so they fit perfectly on each bike.

Ivan

Eats Squid
[hacks]

Ok, I'm gonna give this a try.

Ever since I bought a 29er, the spare tube is too big to fit in my saddle bag so......

I found a Belkin IPhone 4 neoprene arm strap in my garage, and I'm going to try and use it for holding a spare tube in place. You could even use the phone pouch to hold levers if needed. My only concern is how much mud/dirt the neoprene is going to collect. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428185027.551458.jpg

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Ok, I'm gonna give this a try.

Ever since I bought a 29er, the spare tube is too big to fit in my saddle bag so......

I found a Belkin IPhone 4 neoprene arm strap in my garage, and I'm going to try and use it for holding a spare tube in place. You could even use the phone pouch to hold levers if needed. My only concern is how much mud/dirt the neoprene is going to collect. View attachment 310784
Good idea! I have one of those lying around too, going to give it a try because I despise saddle bags.

Ideate

I had to hack up a tool to get my air piston shaft out of my metrics so I could reduce the travel down to 160mm. Made it out of a cone spanner I never use and two computer case screws.