Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

stirk

Burner
I had to hack up a tool to get my air piston shaft out of my metrics so I could reduce the travel down to 160mm. Made it out of a cone spanner I never use and two computer case screws.

Very nice hack! Do the screws have enough strength to get the job done?

This is not mine, can't claim any credit for it.
Saw this in Hungary a few years back.
Pretty sure the wheel generator is putting power in for the speakers? Of which there is a bar mounted and a top tube mounted.
Full stereo.

Attachments

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Once again, can't claim this one but saw it on Book of Faces and thought I would give it a lash.

How many times have you been on a roadtrip or out at the trails and need to re seat a tubeless tyre? You can either play pump lotto and hope to get lucky or duck off and try to find a servo.
Someone recently marketed a pump with a secondary chamber that you pressurise and then throw a switch and bang, on goes the tyre with one big hit of air.

Well you can achieve the same thing with a 2l Coke bottle, 2 valves with cores removed and a little plastic tube with a tap inline. Have tried it and it works perfectly :)

Attachments

Ivan

Eats Squid
I wonder if a soda stream bottle might be safer, as they're fairly strong and have a nice wide lid for fitting the valves.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder if a soda stream bottle might be safer, as they're fairly strong and have a nice wide lid for fitting the valves.
Maybe? I put 60psi in there with no trouble. Old mate on FB was a DH WC rider and they were talking about 100psi. I wasn't that brave haha

Maybe? I put 60psi in there with no trouble. Old mate on FB was a DH WC rider and they were talking about 100psi. I wasn't that brave haha
I did this too, 60psi was as far as I was willing to go. And was pretty wary at that.
Worked fine, I need to put a larger diameter outlet hose on to get better flow rate. Still got the bead on sweet as.

stoo

Likes Dirt
That's an ace idea!
I've filled those bottles to over 100psi a gazillion times and have never had one go off when I didn't want it to.
At that pressure they make a bloody great kaboom when you hit them with the axe or chuck one in the camp fire though!

stirk

Burner
I did this too, 60psi was as far as I was willing to go. And was pretty wary at that.
Worked fine, I need to put a larger diameter outlet hose on to get better flow rate. Still got the bead on sweet as.
Won't a larger outlet hose downstream from the valve decrease the pressure which is exactly what you need in this application to quickly blow the tyre up?

A tap connection on the bottle lid with the same ID as the hose would be ideal.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Won't a larger outlet hose downstream from the valve decrease the pressure which is exactly what you need in this application to quickly blow the tyre up?

A tap connection on the bottle lid with the same ID as the hose would be ideal.
Flow rate would be more important than pressure. Just like with air tools.

stirk

Burner
Flow rate would be more important than pressure. Just like with air tools.
I don't know much about air pressure and flow rate, obviously, but if you go from a small outlet valve to a lager diameter hose back to a small inlet valve would you not be in the same position as running the same ID hose as the valves end to end?

What's the optimum design for this application?

Ideate

I thought these new oneup guides looked cool so I made one.

p4pb12585284.jpg

Found some aluminium plate to cut up.

chain-guide-1.jpg

chain-guide-3.jpg

chain-guide-4.jpg

Fired up the 3D printer..

chain-guide-5.jpg

chain-guide-6.jpg

I just need to clean the rest of the bracket up (cut texta coloured sections off). Works good, just like any chain guide costing me nothing but a bit of time and electricity.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I thought these new oneup guides looked cool so I made one.

Found some aluminium plate to cut up.

Fired up the 3D printer..

I just need to clean the rest of the bracket up (cut texta coloured sections off). Works good, just like any chain guide costing me nothing but a bit of time and electricity.
Do you think you could 3D print one similar to this for direct mount FD mounts?

ceetec-chainguard-sl-kettenfuehrung-liegend.jpg

ceetec-chainguard-sl-schwarz.jpg

Ideate

Was thinking about ways to deter the theft of my newly made rack but couldn't find anything quickly so I made this.

It supposedly stops you from undoing one of the bolts that attaches the tongue to the towbar. It's not very robust but would annoy me if I was going in for a quick steel job and only had a shifter or a socket/wrench.

It requires a T25 key (same as rotor screw/bolt) which are pretty common among my toolbox but again, not on my mind if I'm going in for a theft.

Drilled the bolt head
1.jpg

Tapped a thread
2.jpg

Cut a 24mm socket in half
3.jpg

Drilled the socket wall
4.jpg

Fitted to the towbar
5.jpg

I know you must be able to get something better than this but couldn't find anything.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Plenty of keyed hitch pins avaliable

For example.
yep, but by the looks of it his tongue is bolted to the bar, ie. not hayman reece style receiver.

i've got the keyed pin on mine, but if they are going to go to the effort of unbolting my tow bar, go for it. i dont leave my bike on my rack any where out of sight anyway.