Gym,lifters and plate Dilemma

driftking

Wheel size expert
Ladies and gents.
After looking around at weight plates I have come to two conclusions.
1.they are expensive
2.They like to be different

Number one is not a concern albeit I'd like to pay as little as possible but issue 2 is a massive pita.
If been trying to find 20kg standard plates (because I have a cheaply none Olympic bar) that is the IPF and IWF standard of 450mm diameter (17.7inches) and its damn near impossible, even olympic plates dont have it unless they are, and what I can only find, ridiculously expensive bumpers.

The reason for it been important is for lifts like deadlifts where it affects position and the muscle function during the movement.

So anyone know of a decent priced plate manufacturer that abides to the standard dimension?
Decent price I'd like to spend less than $60 per weight plate
I am also open to boxes under the plates to raise but I don't know much about them and I'd prefer to just have the plates, so this is a last resort.

Cheers all

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah good bumpers ca be expensive, but in saying this they are definately worth the money and they do hold their value if there comes a time when you want to sell them on at a later stage.

I would suggest biting the bullet and getting what you want/need, or even tryingt o find some second hand.

What bands have you been looking at?

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
I was in the same situation myself.

All I did was laser cut 2 plates out of 10mm mild steel at the correct dia (450mm) and I always use those as my first weights on. Then I just got cheaper plates (found some reeeeeally cheap on fleabay) and I am all good.