Going vegetarian

Adi

It's my birthday!
So I might be interested in going vegetarian and was wondering if anyone here is or was a vegetarian and would like to give me a few pointers.

Just looking for positives and negatives really.

Cheers

Adin

danv

Likes Dirt
I think the main point is WHY you want to do it.There might be various minor positives and negatives, but what are your main outstanding reasons?

Adi

It's my birthday!
Because I hate plants, and they deserve to be eaten, :D!

I believe in animal rights and never really realised what i was eating when I was holding a baby chickens leg in my hand... :eek:!

Nothing wrong with giving it a shot.... someone give me more reasons, :D.

rimas

Likes Dirt
Going vegetarian is something I've been trying to do lately.

Trying is all you can do. It might suit you, it might not. I think the funny thing is that when you buy a steak from the supermarket, it's seems to be more food than dead animal if you know what I mean...

Some of the tofu 'meat' you can get is pretty damn good. Last night I cooked a tofu hotdog thing and it tasted quite nice.

I also thnk it's quite strange that if you ask a meat eating person if they would eat cat, dog, koala, mouse, horse, etc, etc (i.e. something away from the normal cow, pig, and chicken) that most reply with the 'ewwww, yuck, gross' kind of reply. I wonder why...

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
Yes i often ask vegetarians if they would eat plants such as a fern ... gum leaves .. palm trees and most of them go ewww yuck!!! .. i wonder why ?

rimas

Likes Dirt
konasaurus said:
Yes i often ask vegetarians if they would eat plants such as a fern ... gum leaves .. palm trees and most of them go ewww yuck!!! .. i wonder why ?
I never realised that meat could be poisonous like some of the plants you mentioned.

Why the fuck would you eat something that would make you sick? Eating any of the animals I mentioned (assuming they were cooked properly) wouldn't kill you or make you sick in anyway.

scblack

Leucocholic
rimas said:
I never realised that meat could be poisonous like some of the plants you mentioned.

Why the fuck would you eat something that would make you sick? Eating any of the animals I mentioned (assuming they were cooked properly) wouldn't kill you or make you sick in anyway.
SWOOOOOSSSSHHHHH - There goes his point - straight over your head.

And by the way, which of those Konasaurus mentioned do you think are poisonous anyhow?

rimas

Likes Dirt
scblack said:
SWOOOOOSSSSHHHHH - There goes his point - straight over your head.

And by the way, which of those Konasaurus mentioned do you think are poisonous anyhow?
Gum leaves...

Yep, I'm not the brightest spark, I just like to argue. :)

scblack

Leucocholic
rimas said:
Gum leaves...

Yep, I'm not the brightest spark, I just like to argue. :)
Haha - excellent, get in and have a go!

Do you think gumleaves are actually poisonous? I don't believe so, but you may prove me wrong. Eucalyptus oil is used so widely, that I wouldn't believe there could be anything poisonous.

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Back on Topic:
I am a Vego ('cept it eat fish) and my reason is cos i feel that it's better for me. Less fat in plants than animals. I get blood tests annually to make sure i am getting enough of everything just to be safe.
It is a good way to feel better, like detox diets, though i also don't drink/smoke/do drugs. But i always feel pretty energetic and i feel that its cos i don't eat crap.
Variety of foods is good, pastas, roasted vegies, tofu crap, fish, rolls, sandwiches, nachos; theres pleanty of stuff, you won't go hungry.

Bad bits: I live at home and although i do cook a fair bit, mum hates having to cater for two diets. Often the rest of the family has what i have in a smaller portion and have some chicken with it or something like that, spaghetti bolognaise / italian tomatoe sauce, not too difficult.
One thing that shits me is that most bike races i have attended only have meat at the catering so take your own salad sandwiches.

All in all, i think you should go for it. You'll probably feel heaps better fo it.

Rhyno.

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
Aboriginals used gum leaves with certain cooking styles ...

Certain ferns are extremely healthy for you

and i have seen palm leaves used in dishes say as a wrap etc

dilemma

girl+bike
rhyno said:
Back on Topic:
I am a Vego ('cept it eat fish) and my reason is cos i feel that it's better for me. Less fat in plants than animals. I get blood tests annually to make sure i am getting enough of everything just to be safe.
It is a good way to feel better, like detox diets, though i also don't drink/smoke/do drugs. But i always feel pretty energetic and i feel that its cos i don't eat crap.
Variety of foods is good, pastas, roasted vegies, tofu crap, fish, rolls, sandwiches, nachos; theres pleanty of stuff, you won't go hungry.

Bad bits: I live at home and although i do cook a fair bit, mum hates having to cater for two diets. Often the rest of the family has what i have in a smaller portion and have some chicken with it or something like that, spaghetti bolognaise / italian tomatoe sauce, not too difficult.
One thing that shits me is that most bike races i have attended only have meat at the catering so take your own salad sandwiches.

All in all, i think you should go for it. You'll probably feel heaps better fo it.

Rhyno.
I'm with Rhyno. I would call myself mostly vegetarian - I eat fish and very occasionally, chicken. I stopped eating red meat because 1. I didn't like the taste, and it sat too heavily on my stomach after eating it, and 2. basic health reasons, like Rhyno said, I find I feel better for it.

I pretty much decided to stop eating meat, and did it straight away and didn't miss it at all. Because I'm a chick I made sure my iron levels were good before hand and have had them tested every year since (about 5 years ago). They are always above average which is good - it means that I'm getting iron from plenty of other non-red meat sources.

I like eating a variety of foods. I really love tofu. If you think 'yuk' when you think of tofu, try some of the marinated ones you can get from the supermarket, in flavours like teriyaki and mediterranean. You might be surprised. I also chuck a tin of nutolene or nutmeat into nacho/taco/burrito mix, which is pretty nice.

I also switched to soy milk but I still eat yoghurt and cheese and occasionally a dairy milkshake or something. I guess it's about finding what foods suit your body best and adjusting a vegetarian diet to suit.

Mmmm all this talk about food is making me hungry ;)

jubs

Squid
Hey Adin,
I say do it!!!
Ive been vegatarian for about a year or two, but about six months ago decided to go vegan and its the best thing Ive ever done!
It is hard to begin with, you have to put up with a lot of crap from people. For some weird reason when you tell people a lot of them get really defensive and decide to attack you about it, its almost as if you just told them you think their mum is a whore or something! but as long as you have done your research, and can explain to them what actually goes on in factory farms and also what these farms do to the environment, you can usually shut them up pretty quick.

As far as nutritian goes the pros far outway the cons. Theres a huge myth that if your vegetarian you dont get any protein, when in actual fact theres way more protein in dark green vegetables then any meat. The only thing you really lack being vegan/vegatarian is vitamin B12 but you can get that from having flax seeds or flax seed oil. The best thing you can do is get a really good vegatarian cook book, or check out vegweb.com - they have heaps of recepies.

You should also check out vegan.org they have heaps of good info, and also whole pile of related links.

I have a book on my computer (as a pdf) called "Vegan - the new ethics of eating" which I can email to you if you like, just let me know.

danv

Likes Dirt
rimas said:
I also thnk it's quite strange that if you ask a meat eating person if they would eat cat, dog, koala, mouse, horse, etc, etc (i.e. something away from the normal cow, pig, and chicken) that most reply with the 'ewwww, yuck, gross' kind of reply. I wonder why...
I would eat all those things, provided there wasn't anything toxic or bad in them...

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
my girlfriend has been vegetarian for 10 or 11 years and i think its fantastic, the food is soooo much nicer, and you feel great after the meals.

Try going to the 'vege bar' in brunswick st (MELB) order anything from the menu and it will be awsome.

Tofu is great to - try a Thai green curry with mixed veges, tofu and brown rice - it is really nice.

While im not vegetarian, my GF rubs off on me alot and given the choice, i will always eat vege as red meat makes me feel like shit.

As for doing it for the right reason, thats bullshit, if you feel that you dont want to eat meat, then dont, knowone can tell you otherwise...

Having said that, one thing that does piss me off about "SOME" vegetarians, being the ones that are opposed to eating animal because its cruel (you know the ones i mean), when they by and eat stuff like "not Bacon' or 'not chicken'. if someone is so opposed to eating meat for cruelty and animal rights etc, then why would they eat something that so closely resembles the very thing they are opposed to eating????

DiMmY

Likes Dirt
ajay said:
my girlfriend has been vegetarian for 10 or 11 years and i think its fantastic, the food is soooo much nicer, and you feel great after the meals.

Try going to the 'vege bar' in brunswick st (MELB) order anything from the menu and it will be awsome.

*snip*
Hmm.. have you ever been to the Spud bar ( I think that's what it's called ) Can't remember where it is, but my brother took me there once.. was awesome.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
No, havent had the pleasure... heard of it tho, its got a good rep!

Also - 'soul mamma' in st kilda is really nice - very different way of eating too, and they have really good beer on tap!

jubs

Squid
Ajay that doesnt even make sense!
Vegetarians/vegans dont have anything against meat, what they do have a problem with is the farming practices, and thats why they dont eat it, not because they think people shouldn't eat meat... Think of it as a form of protest.

I think things like soy sausages and paties are an awesome idea, they atleast make it a whole lot easier for when your invited to your friends for a barbie.