Going Skiiing....... helmet choices

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
So I am going skiing soon as a big family (wife, kids and my parents) and as much as I would much rather go and hit MTB trails I will be making the most of my time by having fun hence jumps etc etc.

My problem is my family are all freaking out when I said I didn't feel the need for a helmet (apparently my mullet wig held on with goggles is insufficient protection)..... whatever I will wear one.

Anyone skied in a MTB helmet? Have been thinking of upgrading mine to a Bell Super 3R type lid (enduro with faceplate on, trails with it off) and when I look at either renting a dedicated ski helmet or buying one it just feels like such a waste of money. When I was a little kid my parents put me in a bike helmet and it worked of course but I was just a little tacker.

So silly question would you wear a MTB helmet skiing? Will I look like a twit? Should I care? Will it take away from my super rad slope style points as I vie for world championship points in coolness?

I don't mind wearing a slim beanie under it to keep my head warm of course.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Of course any helmet is better than none esp icey conditions you can get a headinjury.
mtbike helmet will be fine though usual ski helmet covers ears and has limited holes.
Helmets are popular even w the koolaiders cos they keep your head warm.
I wear a windstopper hat underneath as well due to lack of hair.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A few thing spring to mind, but the premier issue that is screamingfor attention here is don't waste your money. I saw a snow report the other day where the Perisher crew were jizzing on about a 10cm fall...talk about a croc of shit! Be patient and head to Japan...

Now for the input you actually wanted, I always use my dj bucket on snow. I look cool, like really cool. But the design of such a helmet is very similar the cool looking snow helmets too. I get too hot shredding the gnar and impressing all (ALL!!!) the ladies in an insulated helmet. I've had some pretty solid crashes in them and always been glad to be wearing one. A member of my crew split his helmet crashing into very deep soft powder this year!!! So strap one on, especially riding the wet icey rock hard shit snow you'll find here and in NZ.

Some thoughts:
- Your goggles may not interface well with your helmet. Air.may get in around the edges or your micro vibrations of the helmet move your goggles.
- Your ears and the top of your head might get cold. Mine rarely do...especially once the vents pack full of luscious powder and air flow ceases.
- it may be difficult to wear a face warmer and secure your helmet correctly. He fastening should be your priority. I wear a bandanna style face and it works perfectly.

Now for pic to raise the jealousy stakes...this guy is mowing down the fall from overnight.

DSC_0775~4.jpg

He really should be wearing a helmet.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
If you get a snow helmet, check the certifications, many used to only pass some fairly basic international standard, or had no certification at all.
I've never worn one, but always been tempted to get one, some are supposed to be really good at keeping your head dry and give good temperature regulation

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Some very experienced commentators on this thread.
Actually a huge fall at the moment possibly 1 metre fall by Tuesday.
Keep up, its the 21st century everyone but beginners and eggbeaters wears helmets these days even cool snowboarders.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some very experienced commentators on this thread.
Actually a huge fall at the moment possibly 1 metre fall by Tuesday.
Keep up, its the 21st century everyone but beginners and eggbeaters wears helmets these days even cool snowboarders.
I peer over the edge of dish belief from the saddle of my high horse...I can hear the radio jock snow report now:

"it's happened once again snow freaks! I know I say this every year, maybe it would help of we kept records for more than just the current calendar year but meh...we've broken the snow fall records all over again, a true once in a life time dump. Once the boys have finished raking up all the snow from the car park and dumped it all on happy valley we will get an accurate measure for you. You've got about 15, maybe 20, minutes to enjoy this amazing crusty fresh pow, so get into it early today at perisher blew!"

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Yeah but enduro bros wear armour and that makes them neither cool or fast......

My wife seems annoyed enough with my wanting to spend a few hundred on a bike helmet that "having" to wear a helmet at the snow is now semi off the cards. Only annoying thing is it seems a helmet is needed for terrain park riding.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
So we are back where we started.
just wear a bike helmet and get on with it .
BTW your brain is probably worth a few hundred dollars.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I peer over the edge of dish belief from the saddle of my high horse...I can hear the radio jock snow report now:

"it's happened once again snow freaks! I know I say this every year, maybe it would help of we kept records for more than just the current calendar year but meh...we've broken the snow fall records all over again, a true once in a life time dump. Once the boys have finished raking up all the snow from the car park and dumped it all on happy valley we will get an accurate measure for you. You've got about 15, maybe 20, minutes to enjoy this amazing crusty fresh pow, so get into it early today at perisher blew!"
Gold!:first:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah but enduro bros wear armour and that makes them neither cool or fast......

My wife seems annoyed enough with my wanting to spend a few hundred on a bike helmet that "having" to wear a helmet at the snow is now semi off the cards. Only annoying thing is it seems a helmet is needed for terrain park riding.
Just grab a not too expensive, standards approved, bmx style helmet from your lbs. Everyone wins.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If it's important to your wife that you protect your head while skiing, then she can get over the fact that it's worth spending the money on a decent helmet.

After all, she would be the one who had to look after you if you sustained a severe brain injury on the mountain, and required constant care.

YMMV, of course...

I have no doubts in regards to the snow quality in NSW being sub par as far as ski fields go. Throw $10k worth of airfares into the pot for a family of 5 and skiing becomes a fantasy. Even with the drive down the road its hideously expensive and I find it hard to justify, I just hope the memories keep me warmer than the cash when my kids don't want to know me no more (soon). So I'll take the crappy conditions. my kids don't know any different, in life there is always something better and it can do your head in.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Throw $10k worth of airfares into the pot for a family of 5 and skiing becomes a fantasy.
You must use a travel agent! Can currently get airfares on reputable airlines for $800-900 return, and a few weeks ago for under $800.

No doubt though it is an expensive way to relax and have fun though.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Wife binned it on the weekend and is declaring her mtb helmet dead. So she is taking mine (same just different colour) and I am grabbing the 3R tomorrow.

Think she feels bad due to killing her phone in a hissyfit and I bought her a new one that arvo.