Giant, how to pick between TCR, Defy and Propel

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My current model Defy Advanced Pro 2 has the current 11speed 105 and TRP mech discs.

The 105 is the shit, and you'll really struggle to spot the difference with Ultegra. The 105 cranks are even lighter than Ultegra...

I will say though that if you can afford it stretch to Shimano hydro. I will (when the prices come down a bit...) make the switch. I've had many years on Avid mechs on my hard tail MTB, and I like them - bit I find the roadie somehow demands a little more finesse...

That said, the TRP Spyre mechs are a million times better than those dumbarse stupid useless rim brakes some people still seem to like!!!

As for the frame set - the Defy is a dream. The lack of through axles bummed me out a bit when I bought it, but I've not noticed a lack of stiffness in any regard. I wouldn't necessarily let that be the deal breaker.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I will say though that if you can afford it stretch to Shimano hydro. I will (when the prices come down a bit...) make the switch. I've had many years on Avid mechs on my hard tail MTB, and I like them - bit I find the roadie somehow demands a little more finesse...
If you're planning to upgrade from cable to full hydro make sure the frame is hydro compatible. Some internal routed frames refuse to go full length housing without some 'encouragement'.

spj

Likes Bikes
If you're planning to upgrade from cable to full hydro make sure the frame is hydro compatible. Some internal routed frames refuse to go full length housing without some 'encouragement'.

Unfortunately the Domane model I'm looking at doesn't have internal routing which sucks, but maybe its a plus now?

What do I need to know about electronic shifting? Do the frames require different mounts for it? Will I not be able to upgrade to electronic shifters later on without certain mounts?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A lot of frames these days are two-way compatible for Di2/mechanical wiring; it's easier for the frame manufactures now that the 2nd-gen Di2 plugs are about the same diameter as regular outer cables, so fit through the same holes. Then it's just a few rubber grommets so seal around the cables & plugs to close off the unused cable ports. Parts such as shifters & derailleurs mount exactly the same way as their mechanical counterparts.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Current Defy is a full length outer rear brake cable internally routed anyway.

spj

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the help everyone, just picked up the Domane 4.3, ended up going without the discs despite everyone (including me) knowing they are better. Decided that I would rather not commit to the thru-axles while there aren't many wheels available for them and also wanted to maintain a resale regardless of what 'standard' is imposed on road discs in the next couple of years.

Thanks again!

wavike

Likes Dirt
Interesting, I've been looking at disc endurance roadies/gravel grinders. Test rode a standard Roubaix (expert) today. Decided that probably go without discs, doubt if I'll ride in the rain and blokes 30kg heavier than seem to get by OK on the descents. Hows the Trek go for compliance, I want soft ride not full on stiffness. The merida ride (105 groppie) seems worth a look price wise. The Roubaix was great, then it should be for the $$$, I think the similar Trek is around the same price.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good choice. I was so close to buying a defy adv pro 0, but just yesterday chose the roubaix comp sl4 disc in project black.. Should be a good thing.

spj

Likes Bikes
Interesting, I've been looking at disc endurance roadies/gravel grinders. Test rode a standard Roubaix (expert) today. Decided that probably go without discs, doubt if I'll ride in the rain and blokes 30kg heavier than seem to get by OK on the descents. Hows the Trek go for compliance, I want soft ride not full on stiffness. The merida ride (105 groppie) seems worth a look price wise. The Roubaix was great, then it should be for the $$$, I think the similar Trek is around the same price.
Yeah I had similar thoughts about the brakes, rim callipers have been around a long time as well...

Only done 20kms quick riding so far today, despite the marketing, cobblestones still feel like cobblestones. Can't really say anything more yet, I don't feel any of the pedal stroke being sucked up by it though on the plus side which I thought might of been a problem from my test ride around the store. That being said, it was more the geometry that I was looking for rather than the compliance.

Will have to let you know after I do a bit more riding on it.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Good choice. I was so close to buying a defy adv pro 0, but just yesterday chose the roubaix comp sl4 disc in project black.. Should be a good thing.
Is the front a standard QR on yours? I've read a plus with the disc model is a 32 tire will fit with only a 30 on the rim models. More options if wanting to a bit of gravel roads. How'd you go price wise 10% off - more??
despite the marketing, cobblestones still feel like cobblestones. Can't really say anything more yetThat being said, it was more the geometry that I was looking for rather than the compliance.
Will have to let you know after I do a bit more riding on it.
Rough is always going to be rough, it's the harsh shock that some bike's give I don't want, bit like dif of walking on concrete or lino. Geo is the most important, gotta feel comfortable on bike and with it's handling.

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the front a standard QR on yours? I've read a plus with the disc model is a 32 tire will fit with only a 30 on the rim models. More options if wanting to a bit of gravel roads. How'd you go price wise 10% off - more??

Rough is always going to be rough, it's the harsh shock that some bike's give I don't want, bit like dif of walking on concrete or lino. Geo is the most important, gotta feel comfortable on bike and with it's handling.
Unsure but the photo on the spesh website looks like a qr. Will advise when I pick it up on Thursday.. Yep pretty much any tyre will fit too! Going to go 28s I think.
Price was the same as all spesh dealers basically.. Rrp.. Lol.