Giant, how to pick between TCR, Defy and Propel

spj

Likes Bikes
Hey folks,

I'm wanting to buy my first new road bike, I've been riding a second hand 10-15 year old roadie for a little while now. Done a lot of MTBing in the past as well.

I want to buy something with around 105 level groupset and looking at the cheaper end of the spectrum, hence the choice of Giant.

I'm just confused about the Giant models, TCR, Defy and Propel all come as a 105 build and are all around the $2000 price range. Apart from the obvious of what feels best, are these bikes designed for different purposes? How did others decide on which one to buy?

Thanks

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The TCR is the classic racing style road bike. It's a fantastic all round bike. It's what the pros use for road racing and grand tours.

The Defy is an Endurance road bike. It will have a slightly more upright riding position and a longer wheel base for added stability. They also flex a little more for added comfort. Generally designed for all day rides over less than perfect roads. The pros ride these bikes on rough races like Paris-Roubaix.
The Propel is Giant's aero bike. These bikes are for angry blokes who take themselves far too seriously. If your worried about how you look get the Propel. They are super stiff and uncompromising in their approach to "get aero".

To me a road bike is about speed. Endurance and Aero is mostly marketing. Unless you have special needs to ride rough roads or look hip buy the TCR.

spj

Likes Bikes
The TCR is the classic racing style road bike. It's a fantastic all round bike. It's what the pros use for road racing and grand tours.

The Defy is an Endurance road bike. It will have a slightly more upright riding position and a longer wheel base for added stability. They also flex a little more for added comfort. Generally designed for all day rides over less than perfect roads. The pros ride these bikes on rough races like Paris-Roubaix.
The Propel is Giant's aero bike. These bikes are for angry blokes who take themselves far too seriously. If your worried about how you look get the Propel. They are super stiff and uncompromising in their approach to "get aero".

To me a road bike is about speed. Endurance and Aero is mostly marketing. Unless you have special needs to ride rough roads or look hip buy the TCR.
Thanks, that was a really good summary. So the aero is a bit of a wank? I had figured that out myself a bit, but it does look cool.
So I spose the only other question I've got to ask is whether if I buy the tcr will I be looking to change out the frame in the next 5 or so years? It's not something I'll need to upgrade from because of the frame right? My understanding is the frame is largely unchanged over the past, does that mean it's due for an update or does that just not happen for road bikes?

nickdos

Likes Dirt
If anything you'll want to change the group set after 5 years rather than the frame, as GS tech is changing much faster than frames. The exception to this would be if your frame get damaged/cracked. Current 11 speed 105 can be had for $500 so wait another 3 years and you'll get electronic shifting for less than that.

But road bikes change very little year to year compared to MTBs so people upgrade them less often. Disc brakes and electronic shifting are an attempt for the industry to generate more sales and turnover. Does the average rider need these?

Personally, I'd get the Defy as I'd prefer a little more comfort over a very small increase in speed. The current Defy frame is a new design and will be a bit more future proof. It gets very good reviews and provides better clearance for wider tyres.

But test ride them both and decide for yourself. And get a bike fit, best upgrade I ever did for my roadie.

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Im on a 2015 Propel. The Advanced Pro 0 with Ultegra DI2.
The only reason I’m riding that is to be legally able to race.
Its a fast bike, but to get the most out of the aero frame, you need to be flexible enough to get down low & take advantage of the aero attributes.

No point in getting a propel, & having a stack of spacers under a + rise stem to get a correct fit.
Im lucky enough to be able to comfortably ride the propel with neg rise stem slammed with no spacers.
Ive done 200km rides on the propel & haven’t felt beat up because of the bike, but there are better bikes for general road riding if your not looking for a race bike.

If I wasn’t going to race, id go the Defy, or TCX cyclocross bike & fit some 700x28’s for road riding.

Recommend going disc brakes if you can stretch the budget.
The TCX SLR 2 fits your budget, that would be my choice unless you could stretch to the Defy advanced pro 2.
I would rule out the TCR, I think you might find a refresh is due on that model.

Some background, I have a mate with a 2014 Propel SL ( DA DI2 ) & a 2015 Defy ( DA DI2 ).
He loves the defy, its his go to bike every time over the Propel, unless he is racing, or doing a really fast training ride.
At average speeds over 40kmph + the aero advantages of the Propel are definitely apparent.

Before the Propel I was on a Scott Foil, another aero bike. When I sold that, I spent 6 months without a real roadie,
I used my Giant TCX cyclocross bike with road rubber on a 2nd set of 29er wheels.
It was a great setup, I even raced it at A level club crit races until they called a stop to a few of us racing with disc brakes.
It’s a very capable bike, handling is not as sharp as a roadie due to longer wheelbase, but very predictable.

This bike now does most of my commuting duties fitted with some comfy 700x38 slicks.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
As has been said already, if you're not racing get the Defy. I'm a 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 2 owner, and I adore it.

Disc brakes are a no brainer for any bike, and roadies are no exception. I run 28mm tubeless tyres on mine and its a bloody brilliant bike on real roads with lumps and bumps.

Get the best Defy you can afford - for 2 grand you might squeeze into the Advanced Pro frame (the 2 like mine - I paid 2350 at Christmas).

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Depending on budget I'd get the trek domane disc. Thru axles front and rear - that's future proofing. $2500 for 11sp 105 with TRP hyrd and $3000 for full hydro 11 sp. Both full carbon.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Disc brakes and electronic shifting are an attempt for the industry to generate more sales and turnover. Does the average rider need these? And get a bike fit, best upgrade I ever did
After nearly 50 years riding rim braked whatever (had BMX, Tourers, MTB and roadies, and many off during that time), in all weather, disk brakes are the single greatest improvement (cable BB7 is more than adequate). Yes you do need these (Di I'm not convinced yet) unless just a fair weather rider.

+1 for the bike fit.

I'd also test ride a CX style bike. Very versatile (you didnt mention if you have other bikes).

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The TCR & Propel have the same geometry except for the level top tube on the Propel (but that doesn't affect the rest of the frame, just means your standover clearance is reduced). The aero profiling does come at the expense of a bit of weight, and also some compliance over rough roads. This adds up to the TCR being a really good middle ground - race geometry with more forgiveness on rough shit.

The TCR is getting a full makeover this year (expect launch around late July); but what's new about it I do not know. The current Defy frames were new last year, so will still have two years of production, while the Propel I think will go another year before the next frame update.

In reference to Advanced & Advanced Pro in each series, the frames are the same, but the Pro gets a full carbon fork instead of the cheaper alloy steerer on the base model, and better wheels.

spj

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the help everyone!

A bit more info for you all, my budget is under $2500, but realistically I'd want to spend around $2000 if I could.

I hadn't really considered the cyclox bikes because with a mtb background it'd be weird for me to buy a road bike to ride off road, also, I don't want to have to buy a second wheelset right off the bat.

I'm leaning away from the Propel now, seems like it is the least comfortable option for little gain.
Defy still looks like a decent option.
TCR was my favourite until someone said it was due for an update.

I looked at the trek website and the first Domane with discs is 2800? or 2900 something like that, but probably not a bad choice considering the carbon frame etc.
The Crossrip was actually what caught my attention the most, but I have the feeling that I would regret it as soon as I joined a road ride with others... Plus I already have a commuting bike in the works (converting an older road bike into a flat bar set up).

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Echo all of the above.

The last consideration if this is going to be an all weather bike +/- commuter.

TCR doesn't have fender mounts.

The Defy might as it's Giant's 'endurance' bike. The Domane definitely does and it's a very slick setup. They're hidden when nothing is installed.

Yes you can put clip on fenders on the TCR but you'll still get wet feet and a dirty drivetrain. But nothing compares to fenders that closely hub the wheel, full coverage with little rubber flap. Your drivetrain stays clean. Your feet stay dry. The guy behind you doesn't get a face full of water.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also worth taking on board, there are rumours of a new TCR being unveiled at this years tour.
I'm not sure whether that will help or hinder you, but the word is they'll be on shop floor very promptly following the tour.
Giant have been using the same frame for a few years now and this one seems to be getting a complete overhaul.

I'm anxiously awaiting this myself, as it will go a long way in deciding what I ride in the back half of 2015.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If you prefer the racier TCR style (and can live with those ridiculous rim brake things...) get a TCR SLR - alloy.

Try to find a 2014 model with that delicious anodised grey frame. Giant make some seriously slick alloy frames. And they can be had for 1500 with full Ultegra.

spj

Likes Bikes
Alrighty guys, you've all helped me refine what I want significantly, even if it does mean I've jumped about a bit.

I'm currently steering towards the endurance models so the Defy and the Trek Modane. Looking for disc brakes and preferably a carbon frame as well. Still looking at the $2000 range (got a decent offer for the Modane at the moment).

Are there any other brands that are in this sort of price bracket that I'm neglecting to think about? Focus doesn't seem to offer much with disc brakes, Specialized I can't find the pricing for, but I've never found a cheap Specialized.

Might go and test ride the Modane and the Defy tomorrow (will probably throw a leg over the TCR just incase).

To those who have ridden a Modane, is the isobar decoupler business worth it or a wanky bit of marketing?

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated.

The current picks.
http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane/domane_4_3_disc_compact/#
- If only the frame was matte black!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/defy.advanced.pro.2/18931/77132/#overview

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Checked out the BH (Quartz ?) model maybe on pushys? They have been super value lately and seem to be nice frames.

Kingray7

Likes Bikes
I'm in the same boat, thinking of an endurance bike with discs (hydraulic). Recent Ride mag liked the BH Quartz disc well enough, but mech discs let it down. The Scott Solace 15 looks good, with some Avanti dealers doing special deals though I guess they're beyond your price range. The Domane gets a good rap, as does Cannondale Synapse. Hard to beat Giant on value it seems.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm in the same boat, thinking of an endurance bike with discs (hydraulic). Recent Ride mag liked the BH Quartz disc well enough, but mech discs let it down. The Scott Solace 15 looks good, with some Avanti dealers doing special deals though I guess they're beyond your price range. The Domane gets a good rap, as does Cannondale Synapse. Hard to beat Giant on value it seems.
Definitely go with hydros if you can within budget. How many of the models you've mentioned come with hydro (excluding the silly TRP hyd/cable system) at that price ?

Kingray7

Likes Bikes
^^ not sure if this is directed to the original poster or me....Anyway I'm deliberately looking at hydro disc Ultegra level bikes, which puts one into the $3k and above category. If I recall correctly the lower spec Defy was mech discs also.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will admit to not having ridden either the Giant, or the Trek however a mate of mine did a months riding, and a website review of the Domane 6.2 and though the isobar decoupler did a good job of dampening out road vibration. For the best bang for buck I would be waiting a few months for the 2016 models to come out, then you should get a fantastic 2014/15 bike for stupid cheap. :dance:

Disc vs Rim brakes I won't argue about, but hydro is worth the extra coin; as is spending a little more on the groupo you'll want at least full 105 (or SRAM equiv) - you might struggle to get that in your budget hence my comment above.