Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

wingy

Likes Dirt
Do the bearings on the AX29 come with adequate great?

Is it a good idea to remove the cap and regrease the bearings even on a new frame?
I don't personally think it is necessary. I would probably look and see if there is an abundance of grease around the pivots and perhaps clean it back to avoid dirt being trapped rather than not enough grease.
Just my thoughts though.

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
reread the Giant X 29 review in latest mountain bike au mag and what do you guys reckon re handling tight single track vs more open track riding?

reviewer (on an XL) says something like long wheel base makes bike perfect for more straight line biking, when bike hits the curly stuff it aren't as agile or maneuverable.

now of course it is no 26er, but I haven't found a problem on switch backs or tight single track (mine's Medium). Although I haven't done any racing on bike where I would push bike to limit to see the real character.
Troy Glennan seemed to able to get it around Kowen pretty damn fast at the Mont!
Plenty of tight corners on that track!

preemo

Likes Dirt
I rode my Anthem 29er for the first time at the Mont. It was a risk but I set it up the day before as best I could and riding it was better than the alternative, which was to ride my other bike (Trance) which was ...shall we say mechanically challenged.

I'm riding tubed Racing Ralphs 2.4 and the only thing I've changed is the handlebar to Race Face SixC 3/4 Riser bars. I dropped the handlebar as low as it would go and still find there is not enough weight over the front wheels unless I am standing and move a long way forward. I think this is why Giant had those straight bars - to move the rider a little more forward. I'm going to try a longer stem or try reversing the stem...

Compared to the Trance, the bottom bracket must be lower because I had plenty of pedal strike. One time I even got airborne!

The bike is much faster to turn. Best way I can describe it is if you have a left, right, left series of turns, the Anthem seems easier to put one way, then the other and go through the section faster.

I was a bit worried about the pressure in the shock and forks. At recommended sag, it went through the first 3/4 of travel very quickly in tame terrain, but I never bottomed out so maybe it's OK.

Brakes bedded in after half a lap and there is plenty of stopping power.

Now if I can only figure out how to get these tyres tubeless and get more weight over the front I'll be totally happy.

Great bike Giant. Now how about a 29er Trance?

StevOOO

Squid
Ive been holding out getting new handlebars but after the Mont i think i may have to change them. Any recommendations? Stick with flat or go with a riser bar? PRO XCR?

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been holding out getting new handlebars but after the Mont i think i may have to change them. Any recommendations? Stick with flat or go with a riser bar? PRO XCR?
You need sweep more than anything. Riser or flat depends on you.

I went with a Salsa Pro Moto riser, and was able to ditch pretty much all the spacers on the steerer.

StevOOO

Squid
At the mont some anthem riders said a 9 degree sweep was ideal and that the stock bars only had 5 degrees. Is this true?

Having only ridden a flat bar, what does the rise in the bar give?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the mont some anthem riders said a 9 degree sweep was ideal and that the stock bars only had 5 degrees. Is this true?

Having only ridden a flat bar, what does the rise in the bar give?
I have flat bars on my XTC 29, and have got used to them no problems. But on the X29 bars seem like they curve slightly away from stem, seems odd.

From my understanding flat bars on 29ers are necessary for 2 reasons, 1. to keep overall front/height of bars/bike ride low and 2. to keep weight over front wheel.

So putting on low risers (have ordered Easton EA70 Low) would increase height (a bit), but of course you can drop off some spacers to compensate. Dropping spacers would also maintain weight on front wheel.

If you go too low on front i.e. turn stem and remove all spacers you can be really caught out on a log roll where front is just too low or for the occasional downhill - where you have to back off due to seat trying to ram you otbs. So this is why I'm a bit conservative with how low I go on front.

Other thing is lower back and overall ride position and how it's effected by leaning more aggressively. Anyway my instinct tells me low risers will be fine.

Bodin

GMBC
If you go too low on front i.e. turn stem and remove all spacers you can be really caught out on a log roll where front is just too low or for the occasional downhill - where you have to back off due to seat trying to ram you otbs. So this is why I'm a bit conservative with how low I go on front.
I'm running the stem flipped on my XTC and it feels great, so I naturally assumed that I should do the same on my Anthem - same front end needs the same set up, right?

Wrong. For some reason, the Anthem just works better for me with the stem in the rise orientation. Like you point out, descents just don't feel right with it flipped.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have my styem flipped and slammed to the headset, running pro flat bars too, find it very comfy but I'd be happy to go lower if a negative rise didn't look so wrong.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
valve length ?

slightly off topic, just waiting for my anthem to arrive, i thought i best get some spare tubes but what size valve length do i need for the giant rims ? any help would be appreciated.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
slightly off topic, just waiting for my anthem to arrive, i thought i best get some spare tubes but what size valve length do i need for the giant rims ? any help would be appreciated.
Do yourself a favor and go straight to tubeless. My shop did it for me before delivery - ghetto - and I haven't had an ounce of trouble. Standard tyres, standard rims.

notime

Likes Dirt
Do yourself a favor and go straight to tubeless. My shop did it for me before delivery - ghetto - and I haven't had an ounce of trouble. Standard tyres, standard rims.
Agree just go tubeless strait away, and you will have 2 spare tubes. But any standard 29er tube valve length is fine in the Anthem wheels unlike the xtc wheels where you need a valve extender with some pumps.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Troy Glennan seemed to able to get it around Kowen pretty damn fast at the Mont!
Plenty of tight corners on that track!
Exactly right, I just checked and he had the 3rd fastest time, 43:43. Making my 53/54 times not sound that great :p

Mine was superb at the Mont. Yep there was a bit of tight twisty stuff, but I suspect thats pretty tight and twisty on any bike! No official photos up yet but my XL with Crests, tubeless Ikon's and a few other random upgrades handled it with ease. Was a pleasure to ride.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Exactly right, I just checked and he had the 3rd fastest time, 43:43. Making my 53/54 times not sound that great :p

Mine was superb at the Mont. Yep there was a bit of tight twisty stuff, but I suspect thats pretty tight and twisty on any bike! No official photos up yet but my XL with Crests, tubeless Ikon's and a few other random upgrades handled it with ease. Was a pleasure to ride.
I bet it was (and wasn't there a bunch of them there). I think it was a perfect A9X track - albeit viewed from atop a rigid singlespeed. I had ridden the track twice in the week before the race - once on the A9X and once on my SS. I was (almost ...) regretting being in a SS team. :confused: I'm looking forward to getting back out there to run K's sideshow back on the Anthem. :cool:

Returning to the discussion on bars, I've gone to a Ritchey Carbon Flat 10D - flat with 10 degree sweep and no setback. Love it!

Nice pic BTW. :)

StevOOO

Squid
How much did they charge you to do that? I'm considering going tubeless too.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
How much did they charge you to do that? I'm considering going tubeless too.
I think it was $40. But I also paid full RRP on the bike - I think I was the only one! :confused: I haven't looked yet, but I think they just wrapped the rim with tape, cut a valve from a tube, poured some stans in, and pumped them up. As I said, haven't had an ounce of trouble. (I'll redo them soon, as I have some Race Kings to put on when I get around to it.)

I would have done it myself by didn't have time as I collected the bike the Thursday evening before the Scott.

StevOOO

Squid
Anyone who has done the tubeless conversion, did you use the Stans No Tubes Bontrager 29er kit? Thats the only one that i can see for 29er wheels..

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Anyone who has done the tubeless conversion, did you use the Stans No Tubes Bontrager 29er kit? Thats the only one that i can see for 29er wheels..
Genuine Bontrager Rhythm kit from trek dealer. Heaps better than stans kit.
The valve is separate from the strip, so if you do get a flat you don't have to stuff around with a slimy rubber strip!