Ghetto tubeless inflator

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I needed to inflate a non-tubeless tyre that wasn't seating with a track pump. The compressor I usually have access to wasn't available. I could have gone and spent $160+ on a Bontrager Flash Charger or a home compressor of my own but I'm too much of a tight wad. Inspired by the 2L coke bottle inflator, I wanted to go one better for no extra cost.

I bought a length of 6mm pressure hose from Bunnings: http://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-6mm-x-2m-reinforced-pressure-hose_p4920246 and two tiny hose clamps to suit. On the way home I inflated my car's spare tyre to 60 psi.

I pinched the hose with a pair of small locking pliers. With one end of the hose and a hose clamp nearby, I quickly removed the valve core from my car's spare, jammed the hose on and did up the hose clamp. Then I took the core out of my bike wheel's valve and clamped the other end of the hose on (turns out 6mm hose is a good compromise between presta and schraeder). Released the locking pliers and BLAMMO! Instant success with tyre nicely seated. A bit of adjustment to both tyres with the track pump and it was time to put away my toys. It was almost so quick and easy that I didn't get to enjoy it.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Isn't 60psi kind of high for a car tyre? Most car tyres run at 30-35psi, with a maximum of maybe 45psi (just checked the wife's Territory and it's tyres say max. is 44psi). Great idea in concept, but could be dangerous if you exceed the tyre's maximum WP. If you have a light truck tyre, then you're probably ok, as they go to 55-60psi no problems.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or a space saver maybe?

Think those maximums are probably for driving on. I've seen tyre places inflate new tyres to 70 psi without issue. Read somewhere that car tyres explode at around 200 psi. Probably best not to drive home with all your tyres pumped to 60 psi, but the spare in the boot shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Isn't 60psi kind of high for a car tyre? Most car tyres run at 30-35psi, with a maximum of maybe 45psi (just checked the wife's Territory and it's tyres say max. is 44psi). Great idea in concept, but could be dangerous if you exceed the tyre's maximum WP. If you have a light truck tyre, then you're probably ok, as they go to 55-60psi no problems.
Light vehicle commercial tyres will pump up to that, no worries.

stirk

Burner
What a way to find out you're ignoring my posts. :tsk:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
What a way to find out you're ignoring my posts. :tsk:
And I'm sunk. There I was thinking what the fuck is stirk on about with this 'space saver' talk, and it's only just dawned on me what you meant. :second:

The thing is I've only ever owned man-sized cars with full size spares...

Flow-Rider

Burner
And I'm sunk. There I was thinking what the fuck is stirk on about with this 'space saver' talk, and it's only just dawned on me what you meant. :second:

The thing is I've only ever owned man-sized cars with full size spares...
I thought most space savers are solid rubber, that's why they are speed restricted.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I thought most space savers are solid rubber, that's why they are speed restricted.
Nope...they're just shit.

My light truck tyres will go to 80 psi...no worries. Just don't touch them...don't even breathe on them. And never let a child inflate your vehicle tyres...