Getting ones money back from a member...

Tallman

Likes Dirt
Soooo, I had an agreement with Ns_Sharpy to give him money for his Norco 250. It has been past a couple of months and he has not even replying to me anymore.

Short of getting someone in Melbourne to visit him and have "words" with him, what can I do with this idiot? Police aren't into stuff like this, but if all else fails I will have a word.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Hey Tallman,

I feel for you mate, especially considering that I went through a similar thing myself waiting for some camera equipment to be sent from Tasmania. It is not acceptable and there is no excuse.

Unsecured trading on forums like this is extremely risky - if something goes sour, you have no back up which is why it is very important to get the other parties FULL DETAILS, regardless of whether you're the buyer or seller. Name, home and mobile numbers, email and finally, address.

Best advice is to keep everything civil and politely inquire as to the progress of shipping. Some of your messages left on his contact page are a little hot headed - that isn't going to get you far.

See if you can obtain a phone number or something and call up - it's highly likely he still lives at home so you might get a better response from contacting his parents via a land line.

The guy appears to have been online today so let us hope he offers his side of the story soon eh?

Good luck!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
If things get desperate and you are good with people ... you could try talking to your bank.

Disclaimer ... the Bank has absolutely no responsibility to help you in this situation ... as once you press the button to release funds your on your own. However, and again, if you are good with people and follow what I say ... you have a 50:50 chance of getting your money back

NOTE: this will only work if you go to your branch (the branch that owns your account ie, the BSB branch)
i) get all the transaction details off your online statement ... if your lucky or anal you've written down the transaction code and all that online transfer detail.
ii) print everything off ... so you can show the customer service person hardcopy to save them looking for it.
iii) go in to your branch just after 10am (just after the openning rush and way before lunch)
- if there are lots of pensioners in the branch or coming out the doors ... then turn around and come back tomorrow (ie, its pension day ... don't even think about getting friendly service :p)
iv) Don't expect to get what you want or need ... come in as if this is your last chance ... be honest and self deprecating eg "I knew I should have checked the guy out in more detail before I transferred the money ... but I didn't realise he was a young punk [assumed by me as I'm age-ist] ... and I was tooooo trusting ... bah I'm an idiot sometimes ..." self deprecation with a bit of humour works miracles.

Lastly ... it has to be your branch as they own your account ... and other branches will likely just contact your branch (maybe not) ... being in a suit and having a good relationship with your bank (ie, home loan, plus credit card, plus a bit of cash) also helps.

Thi is unfortunately Not guaranteed ... and is alot of work if you suck with people, but has worked for me.

Good luck with it and hopefully he has a logical excuse and it all works out for ya ... I suggest you PM your favourite Mod ... as a PM from a Mod seems to work wonders ... and if it doesn't a permanent IP ban is needed as I don't want to be trading with rip-off scum on here.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Nerf, is the above a method of obtaining your funds back, or simply a contact number for the guy?

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Is a message to the mods in order to at least cancel his trading access?

Going by the messages on his contact page it looks like you're not the only one to have run into problems of this nature with him.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After all the negative comments left for this guy, there is still some dude offering to buy the bike. :confused:

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Trading History:Successful Trades with:
Enough said.
But in all seriousness, legal action is your best option right.
Hope you get what ever your after.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
If things get desperate and you are good with people ... you could try talking to your bank.

Disclaimer ... the Bank has absolutely no responsibility to help you in this situation ... as once you press the button to release funds your on your own. However, and again, if you are good with people and follow what I say ... you have a 50:50 chance of getting your money back

NOTE: this will only work if you go to your branch (the branch that owns your account ie, the BSB branch)
i) get all the transaction details off your online statement ... if your lucky or anal you've written down the transaction code and all that online transfer detail.
ii) print everything off ... so you can show the customer service person hardcopy to save them looking for it.
iii) go in to your branch just after 10am (just after the openning rush and way before lunch)
- if there are lots of pensioners in the branch or coming out the doors ... then turn around and come back tomorrow (ie, its pension day ... don't even think about getting friendly service :p)
iv) Don't expect to get what you want or need ... come in as if this is your last chance ... be honest and self deprecating eg "I knew I should have checked the guy out in more detail before I transferred the money ... but I didn't realise he was a young punk [assumed by me as I'm age-ist] ... and I was tooooo trusting ... bah I'm an idiot sometimes ..." self deprecation with a bit of humour works miracles.

Lastly ... it has to be your branch as they own your account ... and other branches will likely just contact your branch (maybe not) ... being in a suit and having a good relationship with your bank (ie, home loan, plus credit card, plus a bit of cash) also helps.

Thi is unfortunately Not guaranteed ... and is alot of work if you suck with people, but has worked for me.

Good luck with it and hopefully he has a logical excuse and it all works out for ya ... I suggest you PM your favourite Mod ... as a PM from a Mod seems to work wonders ... and if it doesn't a permanent IP ban is needed as I don't want to be trading with rip-off scum on here.
As a bank employee for five years I can tell you that this is hit and miss.
You can request your bank do what's called a destination trace. This will tell you FROM YOUR END if the funds were received and cleared into the account.
If you are with the same bank as perp, they can tell you instantly if you can prove you made the original transaction.
If alleged perp is with another bank it can take a few days.
At least you will know if he has the money.
The reason it's a good idea to do this first is that sometimes people get numbers mixed up and the funds go into another persons account. Not saying you did this, but he may have given you a wrong acc number, or even the staff at the bank may have typed it wrong if it was a manual transaction.

I have sent you a PM of some stuff that may help. I didn't want to post it here because alleged perp would then see how to get around my comments.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A similar thing happened to me (I was sent obviously broken forks((internals were missing/bent up) and I resorted to driving all day interstate to knock on his door and "ask" for my money back.

I hate the feeling (I almost cried) of not getting what you paid for, and sometimes drastic action is the only way to deal with it. imo cops wont give a rats, lawyers are too expensive to go through. I just calmly took matters into my own hands, and it worked. wasted a weekend tho...

But I'm sure someone on this website knows/lives near the perp and could give him a visit? hell even if you paid them $50 to ask around, it may be worth it reading your comment on his wall, sounds like you lost a lot of money and us as a mtb community could help yeild some results.

also, how many people has this guy screwed around? there seemed to be a large number of angry people trying to contact him..

good luck fellas, we shouldnt have to deal with scum like that.

cheers, davo :)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, hypothetically, say you made the assumption from his user-name that his last name was 'Sharp' or 'Sharpe' and you then looked at his profile messages and saw he's from Mitcham and his first name was Dean? Maybe type that name into a popular search engine. Maybe hypothetically call North Ringwood junior footy club?

Hypothetically, he's some 16 year old dipshit.

Then hit www.whitepages.com.au . There's only three of them, can't hurt to hypothetically make the calls to listed numbers hoping to speak to a hypothetical parent.

Maybe (hypothetically) get in contact with his friends listed on his profile, maybe one has his myspace up, from which you can get his surname & maybe it's pretty unique? Then, hypothetically, you could look him up in white pages, no doubt a parent will answer & you then ask for Dean Sharp. All hypothetically of course...

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
In addition to Mr Christo's synopsis, if one were to hypothetically look at a certain popular social networking site, they would hypothetically be able to view his photos and learn of his not-so-hypothetical Victorian numberplate.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
This kid sounds like a a bit of a dick. He's gone...

If anyone needs to contact him further over existing transactions, I've got his hotmail address here.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Southern cross seat covers? :rolleyes:

Looks like a classy guy.

Good luck getting your money back!

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Nerf, is the above a method of obtaining your funds back, or simply a contact number for the guy?
its a hit and miss method only (harmonix is very correct) ... comes down to being lucky and getting a Bankie that is sympathetic ... but with luck you could get the transaction reversed, as you can prove it comes from your bank account. (technically it can be called a dishonoured payment) ... and you'll prolly be hit with a fee.

In hindsight ... its been over 2 months ... the bankie would have to be very nice and generous to help out.

to the OP, sorry if I wasted your time

Tallman

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses everyone, pretty helpful. I'll keep you all posted on how I go getting my money back off him!

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And that he hypothetically drives a Holden Rodeo, It's a little shocking to see all that can be found, after just a quick search on facebook

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Classy looking kid,
Aparently we have a mutual friend on facebook, i'll see if i can strech out mutual relationship and get some more info/details for you!