Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Plow King

Little bit.
Steve yeah I know what I'm saying is that I'm finding it easy to cut with a buffet offered to me daily for an odd reason. I think its due to the fact that the food is pre cooked and good to go. Chicken legs, breast and carrots today even though they had burgers, hotdogs, deep fried prawns a full desert bar and a soft serve machine

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lads,
Joining a gym soon... and I am chasing some advice in terms of protein/carb supplements. I dont really want to go to a health food store, as I have a feeling they will just try to flog off whatever they stock. Looking for some real advice here....
Basically I am 18, 65~Kg's... 6ft2/6ft3.. Looking to build up more general body strength, but mostly want more explosive power for BMX/4X gate starts and the likes....
Can anyone give me a hand?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve yeah I know what I'm saying is that I'm finding it easy to cut with a buffet offered to me daily for an odd reason. I think its due to the fact that the food is pre cooked and good to go. Chicken legs, breast and carrots today even though they had burgers, hotdogs, deep fried prawns a full desert bar and a soft serve machine
Ohhh, awesome dude! I find my biggest downfall is when I'm really hungry I buy too much food and then I never leave food behind = fail. But with food always there, you only take what you want?

Lads,
Joining a gym soon... and I am chasing some advice in terms of protein/carb supplements. I dont really want to go to a health food store, as I have a feeling they will just try to flog off whatever they stock. Looking for some real advice here....
Basically I am 18, 65~Kg's... 6ft2/6ft3.. Looking to build up more general body strength, but mostly want more explosive power for BMX/4X gate starts and the likes....
Can anyone give me a hand?
Do you want protein or an "explosive power" supplement? If you want protein to build muscle, ON whey 100% gold standard stuff is pretty popular, It tastes good, huge percentage of protein and BCAA's.

For a pre-workout supp* Jack3d or 1MR seems to be the go. Researching on forums (not websites) and then buying online is the best way. Fair advice and cheap product.

*I wouldn't use any supplements on the bike. Get strong, hydrate yourself and eat plenty of carbs = huge power.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ohhh, awesome dude! I find my biggest downfall is when I'm really hungry I buy too much food and then I never leave food behind = fail. But with food always there, you only take what you want?

Do you want protein or an "explosive power" supplement? If you want protein to build muscle, ON whey 100% gold standard stuff is pretty popular, It tastes good, huge percentage of protein and BCAA's.

For a pre-workout supp* Jack3d or 1MR seems to be the go. Researching on forums (not websites) and then buying online is the best way. Fair advice and cheap product.

*I wouldn't use any supplements on the bike. Get strong, hydrate yourself and eat plenty of carbs = huge power.
Yeah all I am chasing is protein powder etc etc... I have heard about that stuff, might check it out on ebay

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SCIENCE !!! OMFGWTFBBQ (Stolen from AusBB post that was stolen from a science man)

THE EFFECT OF MEAL FREQUENCY ON BODY COMPOSITION DURING 12-WEEKS OF STRENGTH TRAINING
Hansen Øyvind1, Fostervold Mathisen Therese2, Raastad
Truls 2
(Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo1,
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences2, Norway)

Human trials on the effect of meal frequency on body composition are scarce. Short-term studies show increased rate of protein synthesis immediately after intake of amino acids [1], and frequent meals are shown to aid in the preservation of lean body mass when dieting [2].

Consequently it could be hypothesised that in response to strength training, more frequent meals will give larger muscle mass accumulation and lower fat mass (FM) than fewer meals. The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of 3 vs. 6meals per day on changes in body composition in young men and women performing strength training over 12 weeks.

Men (n=33) and women (n=15) aged 21 to 35 with at least one year of previous strength training experience were randomly assigned to either a 6 meals a day group or a 3 meals a day group. The prescribed total dietary intake in both groups was equal and calculated to give a positive energy balance of approximately 1200 KJ/day, a protein intake of 1.5-1.7 g/kg/day and a carbohydrate intake of 5-7 g/kg/day. During the training period the dietary intake was controlled by repeated 24-hours recalls. All participants performed the same strength training program, training four times per week, giving each muscle group one heavy session and one light session per week. In the heavy sessions, training intensity varied between 10 and 3 RM sets, and 3-6 sets were performed in each exercise.
Determination of body composition was performed with DEXA at the beginning of and immediately after the training period. A total of 16 men and 11 women completed the project.

After multiple regression analysis the 3 meal group had a significant greater gain in lean body mass (LBM) than the 6 meal group when adjusted for gender and energy intake (p=0.04), when adjusted for gender and protein intake (p=0.03), and when adjusted for gender, protein intake, carbohydrate intake and fat intake* (p=0.01). (*: Fat intake in g/kg body weight/day showed significance on LBM, p=0.03). No significant differences in regional changes in LBM were observed, although there was a tendency towards a greater gain in the three meal group. There were no significant differences in change in fat mass (FM) between the groups, but a tendency towards a greater gain in the three meal group, 7.33% (-5.23, 19.90), p=0.24. The three meal group had a 2.87%(0.62, 5.12) larger weight gain than the six meal group, p=0.01.The participants had a 2.31% (0.83, 3.79), gain in bone mineral density of the spine during the twelve weeks of strength training, p<0.01, but there were no differences between the groups.

Apparently as of like June this year, meal frequency is stupid and the only thing that matters is hitting the right macro nutrient ratio daily. I've been following this philosophy for awhile but after seeing ^^that I thought I'd post for ya'll to discuss and/or read.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Down to 91kg from 95kg at the start of September. Think I'll aim for about 85-6.
Will that be 85 @ 10%BF? If so, you must be huge dude! haha gratz. Do you have a AusBB diary or BB.com/whatever?

Guess what fellas (and SV??). I filmed my crappy deadlifts and asked some pro's for even more advice, turns out I was doing them ok minus a few small issues like shoes. Bought some new shoes* and DEADLIFTED 130kg x5. I can't beleive it's taken me so long to get my technique right but thanks to ya'll for your helpful words! Awesome :clap2:

at 74.00kg my total is 310kg Fuck yes. I'm not even bulking haha (~1300cal today).

*If your squating or deadlifting in runners. Go and buy some chuck taylors RIGHT NOW. They feel so much better, my foot is now fully planted and stable and all the weight goes fully through the heel without thinking about it.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Will that be 85 @ 10%BF? If so, you must be huge dude! haha gratz. Do you have a AusBB diary or BB.com/whatever?
I sure hope so. I'll be happy with anything sub 12, though. Haha, thanks. No diaries or anything, though it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start one I spose.

Super keen to get a set of Chuck Taylor's, I've heard nothing praise. That said, volleys and canvas rabens have never let me down.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
SCIENCE !!! OMFGWTFBBQ (Stolen from AusBB post that was stolen from a science man)

THE EFFECT OF MEAL FREQUENCY ON BODY COMPOSITION DURING 12-WEEKS OF STRENGTH TRAINING
Hansen Øyvind1, Fostervold Mathisen Therese2, Raastad
Truls 2
(Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo1,
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences2, Norway)

Human trials on the effect of meal frequency on body composition are scarce. Short-term studies show increased rate of protein synthesis immediately after intake of amino acids [1], and frequent meals are shown to aid in the preservation of lean body mass when dieting [2].

Consequently it could be hypothesised that in response to strength training, more frequent meals will give larger muscle mass accumulation and lower fat mass (FM) than fewer meals. The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of 3 vs. 6meals per day on changes in body composition in young men and women performing strength training over 12 weeks.

Men (n=33) and women (n=15) aged 21 to 35 with at least one year of previous strength training experience were randomly assigned to either a 6 meals a day group or a 3 meals a day group. The prescribed total dietary intake in both groups was equal and calculated to give a positive energy balance of approximately 1200 KJ/day, a protein intake of 1.5-1.7 g/kg/day and a carbohydrate intake of 5-7 g/kg/day. During the training period the dietary intake was controlled by repeated 24-hours recalls. All participants performed the same strength training program, training four times per week, giving each muscle group one heavy session and one light session per week. In the heavy sessions, training intensity varied between 10 and 3 RM sets, and 3-6 sets were performed in each exercise.
Determination of body composition was performed with DEXA at the beginning of and immediately after the training period. A total of 16 men and 11 women completed the project.

After multiple regression analysis the 3 meal group had a significant greater gain in lean body mass (LBM) than the 6 meal group when adjusted for gender and energy intake (p=0.04), when adjusted for gender and protein intake (p=0.03), and when adjusted for gender, protein intake, carbohydrate intake and fat intake* (p=0.01). (*: Fat intake in g/kg body weight/day showed significance on LBM, p=0.03). No significant differences in regional changes in LBM were observed, although there was a tendency towards a greater gain in the three meal group. There were no significant differences in change in fat mass (FM) between the groups, but a tendency towards a greater gain in the three meal group, 7.33% (-5.23, 19.90), p=0.24. The three meal group had a 2.87%(0.62, 5.12) larger weight gain than the six meal group, p=0.01.The participants had a 2.31% (0.83, 3.79), gain in bone mineral density of the spine during the twelve weeks of strength training, p<0.01, but there were no differences between the groups.

Apparently as of like June this year, meal frequency is stupid and the only thing that matters is hitting the right macro nutrient ratio daily. I've been following this philosophy for awhile but after seeing ^^that I thought I'd post for ya'll to discuss and/or read.
I always thought eating smaller meals more regularly was generally better across the board?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I always thought eating smaller meals more regularly was generally better across the board?
That was the consensus. That came about because when you eat your metabolism rises, so eating 6 meals keeps your metabolism up all day. The missing info is the fact that the TEF of the food rises and falls with the size of the meal so eating a big meal will increase your metabolism alot higher then a small meal. At the end of the day, the rise in metabolism is the same for 3 meals to 15 meals.

Also, for alot of people it's easier to eat 6 meals. When cutting, it feels like your eating all the time - win. When bulking, the meals are smaller and easier to eat - win. Can you imagine eating 5000calories in 3 meals? I don't think I could unless it was KFC/bad lol.

Looking at those chuck taylors, they look like they have some sort of cushioning on the heel so I would say they are not much better than runners which is what everyone seems to squat / DL in.

You dont want any cushioning at all

VS Athletics lifting shoe - I bought mine on ebay 4 years ago, slightly raised heel, no cushioning so completely stable and no power is lost

That or similar is the best Squat / DL shoe for safety and performance.

Excellent deadlift numbers all the same.

norco01

Likes Dirt

Guess what fellas (and SV??). I filmed my crappy deadlifts and asked some pro's for even more advice, turns out I was doing them ok minus a few small issues like shoes. Bought some new shoes* and DEADLIFTED 130kg x5. I can't beleive it's taken me so long to get my technique right but thanks to ya'll for your helpful words! Awesome :clap2:

at 74.00kg my total is 310kg Fuck yes. I'm not even bulking haha (~1300cal today).

*If your squating or deadlifting in runners. Go and buy some chuck taylors RIGHT NOW. They feel so much better, my foot is now fully planted and stable and all the weight goes fully through the heel without thinking about it.
I'm sorry but how on earth can you survive on 1300cal a day if you weigh 74kg? I weigh around there (ranges from 72-74 depending on time of day etc.) and I couldn't function with anything less than around 2200-2300 and I was putting in a decent effort in the gym. Forgive me if im reading that wrong but yeah, I just could not do that!

Haven't posted in here in god knows how long, haven't even owned a bike in over a year (looking for another one).

May as well get back into it, Stats:

18yo, 72-74kg, 179cm.

Set new PB for Deadlifts on monday at 150kg x3 (with straps)
Last max bench was 105kg x4 and 45kg dumbell press x5
Squat - 90kg ass to grass on a smith machine, wouldn't have a clue for real squats as our gym doesn't have a proper squat rack (24hr gym) and cannot afford to go to a normal gym e.g. fitness first etc. Always had chicken legs but progressing slowly, still have no calf muscle however.. Hopefully they are getting a proper rack around christmas time though!
Dumbbell shoulder press - 35kg x7. Will try next week for 37.5 but getting them up at the start is a struggle.

Doing a 5 day split:
Monday - Back, bi's and calves
Tuesday - Chest and tri's
Wed: Legs
Thurs: shoulders/traps
Fri - Arms

Supps using: 1MR pre, usually only on leg day as i hate leg day. Xtend(grape, lemon lime is better..) during workout, optimum gold standard post.

It's strange, found my log from last year. I've doubled in strength (more for some lifts) but have only gained about ~4kg. Abs are noticeable now though, i have definitely lost over the time but i would have thought I would have been closer to 80kg by this time.

Really need to get my diet right as its been crappy lately, waay too many simple sugars (slurpees are just so damn good! doesnt help working near 4 7/11's) and the abs are slowly dissapearing.

Due to new medication for skin I can't really drink for the next 6 months so gonna try and use the time to get diet and training dialled in and look beast for when i can start drinking again!

Will try and keep posting here as it will make me commit to the diet if I talk about it here.

Apologies for the essay, didnt really plan on writing that much, guess i got carried away...(too much 1MR!)

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Not even bulking" at 1300 calories?! That's a hard cut/diet for me!

In my fitness news, am training hard each day. Climbed 1400 vertical metres in 5x~280 vertical metre sprints yesterday, am hurting today. Ironman Western Australia in 6 weeks, keen!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sorry but how on earth can you survive on 1300cal a day if you weigh 74kg? I weigh around there (ranges from 72-74 depending on time of day etc.) and I couldn't function with anything less than around 2200-2300 and I was putting in a decent effort in the gym. Forgive me if im reading that wrong but yeah, I just could not do that!
That was just for two days :02.47-tranquillity: My maintenance is 1900-2000cal with 3 FBW's and 1 ride during the week. I cut on about 1500-1700 but decided to "kick start" by doing something a little lower. I'm certainly not hungry on ~1800 and anything about ~2300 and I gain weight pretty quick.

What I meant by "Not even bulking" was that I'm getting bigger and stronger but eating in deficit. I can't wait until I "bulk" to see what numbers I can get.

Apologies for the essay, didnt really plan on writing that much, guess i got carried away...(too much 1MR!)
I do this. 1MR is a hellofadrug.

Your plan sounds pretty good! Your weights are way up there too... Only thing is the squats in the smith machine. I know that's all you have on hand but it's pretty dangerous. I'm not sure what to replace squats with though. Your probably better off leg pressing.

-Oh yeh. Chuck taylors do have abit of cushioning in them but there the best shoe - outside of a weightlifting shoe - that you can buy I reckon.

Last edited:

norco01

Likes Dirt
That was just for two days :02.47-tranquillity: My maintenance is 1900-2000cal with 3 FBW's and 1 ride during the week. I cut on about 1500-1700 but decided to "kick start" by doing something a little lower. I'm certainly not hungry on ~1800 and anything about ~2300 and I gain weight pretty quick.

What I meant by "Not even bulking" was that I'm getting bigger and stronger but eating in deficit. I can't wait until I "bulk" to see what numbers I can get.

I do this. 1MR is a hellofadrug.

Your plan sounds pretty good! Your weights are way up there too... Only thing is the squats in the smith machine. I know that's all you have on hand but it's pretty dangerous. I'm not sure what to replace squats with though. Your probably better off leg pressing.

-Oh yeh. Chuck taylors do have abit of cushioning in them but there the best shoe - outside of a weightlifting shoe - that you can buy I reckon.
Makes more sense now! I was going to say if thats your regular diet you must have the metabolism of a rock..

Yeah i know re: smith machine, i'm not a huge fan of them and know the dangers regarding restricted movement and the fact your back stays constant etc. only really do them every few weeks, mainly stick to leg press, weighted lunges and seated leg extension. Smith is good for standing calf raises though, put 2x20kg plates on the floor and just calf raise on them.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok thought you guys might be able to help me here, Ive been told i should start taking sups to compliment my climbing (muscle recovery and so forth) reading up on the net has pretty much led me to believe theres no proper useful info besides what the manufacturers say. So maybe you guys can help me.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Ok thought you guys might be able to help me here, Ive been told i should start taking sups to compliment my climbing (muscle recovery and so forth) reading up on the net has pretty much led me to believe theres no proper useful info besides what the manufacturers say. So maybe you guys can help me.
Protein + creatine + a decent multivitamin is enough for most people. I'm not sure if there's anything out there that would help climbing specfically, maybe a forum out there would help.

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/ is a good place to start. Good quality generic supps at good prices.

norco01

Likes Dirt
^^^ RE: bulknutrients.com - Powdered oats are THE best meal replacement/bulk shake. Mix with milk or water and a scoop or two of protein, optional peanut butter (nutella tastes good too..), some ice cubs and chuck in a blender/food processor and you have a wicked tasting gainer. Mine ends up being something like 40g carbs, 30g protein and 10g fat roughly. Fills me up good too, perfect for pre-gym meal or mid-morning fill up!

Got 37.5kg dumbbell press x6 reps today, had some help on the last one but pretty stoked. Back is only just starting to get less sore after the 150kg deadlift on monday..been hell all week but worth it!

For those who are hitting gym hard and trying to improve lifts, post up here your latest PB's, achievements etc. Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those who are hitting gym hard and trying to improve lifts, post up here your latest PB's, achievements etc. Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition!
I love numbers:

Bodyweight:
73.5kg Bench: 80kg x5 (3sets) Squat: 100kg x2 (85x10) Deadlift: 130kg x5 (3sets) Military Press: 40kg x6 (3sets)
DBOR: 35kg x7 (3sets) Wide grip pullup: 15. All in one session tonight. Not sure of 1RM's.

BTW Norco01 you have some serious power! Great work dude.