Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Ducky Punk

Banned
Iv been reading this for a while and first up great work everyone! And thanks Slip for helping out.

So question time.

Slip i already have a 6-packs and they clearly show, so how do i make then look "beefier" and more defined? And why are my triceps huge and my biceps in comparison small?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
farrrrkkk... I can feel myself loosing the motivation to go on with this fitness blast.

I can hear this voice in the back of my mind, saying wow you've lost 10 kgs, you look great, you havent been this weight for 5 years, and... nothing.

I have become complacent.

What are some good motivators people have come up with?

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
farrrrkkk... I can feel myself loosing the motivation to go on with this fitness blast.

I can hear this voice in the back of my mind, saying wow you've lost 10 kgs, you look great, you havent been this weight for 5 years, and... nothing.

I have become complacent.

What are some good motivators people have come up with?
Are you doing a cardio program at the moment? If you're happy with your weight, switch it up to some High intensity weight sessions. That way you'll have the motivation to get out there and lift more, and I think you'll find the kilos will still melt off.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you doing a cardio program at the moment? If you're happy with your weight, switch it up to some High intensity weight sessions. That way you'll have the motivation to get out there and lift more, and I think you'll find the kilos will still melt off.
yeah, I just got back from the gym actually, I'm trying to get a good mix of running and weights.

Its just I used to be able to get up at say 6 30 am and go for an hour run, now I get woken up by the alarm and then cant even make the effort to remove myself from bed.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hey Slip (and everyone else!)

Just need a bit of direction/advice...Thought it would be best to ask here instead of BB.com as they are a bunch of tools, and this is cycling specific... Currently I'm working on a 3 day split - shoulders/legs, chest/tri, back/bi. XC/road riding twice a week. DH once a week. 1-2 days off.

Now, a few months ago I was absolutely hammering myself at the gym (and running/swimming - Prob 2-3 hrs of exercise per day, every day...), and not spending much time on the bike at all. I've since realized that I really want to make riding my primary goal once again, or at least balance riding/gym more equally. The whole point of doing legs at the gym initially was to improve my endurance and strength while riding XC...... Boy, was I wrong!! When I got back on the bike, it was very clear that I was way worse. I was buggered after 10 minutes of hill riding. Now, I really enjoy doing back/bi, chest/tri.. Those are the days that motivate me to go to the gym. But the legs day is one of those days that I really dread.... They are just such big lifts that require tonnes of energy and certainly proper technique (squats, deadlifts etc.) . I do enjoy shoulders though.

My question is, should I continue with legs? If the whole point of doing legs was to improve my riding, which it is not, what's the point in putting myself through this horrid work? I guess the only other consideration is if I stop doing legs, my body may start to look disproportionate. I would substitute an extra XC (10-20km) /road ride (~40km) ride in place of legs, if I was to give legs the flick. I would also then need to consider where to slot in shoulders.

EDIT: I've also given running the flick too... I used to run approx 4km in 20 minutes after each and every workout.. But it just makes my gym sessions too long (approx 1.5 hrs, up to 2 hrs)

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I'm in sort of the same boat, as I've recently started cycling (road, and maybe off road when and if I can be bothered fixing my forks) again and have found that despite 20 months of a mixture of heavy and light weight/high rep leg exercises my legs are piss weak in terms of pedalling!

I'm only doing a weekly trek along the M7 cycleway, and despite being mostly flat, the small, shallow hills bugger me up!

I won't ditch the leg session as I think it must be doing me some good, but what I've done is to switch my cardio to mornings in attempt to burn more fat, and concentrate on the exercise bike at the gym. I do sprinks monday tuesday and wednesday mornings, and follow it up on thursday and friday mornings with a gentle constant pace session before my actual ride of friday arvo. I think it's working but it really is too early to tell.

I'm thinking of adding a Sunday ride to this, possibly the Bobbin Head loop and trying to get as far up the hill as I can, and then when I inevitably fail, turning around, riding back down to the bottom, calling the missus and sheepishly load the bike into the car. Or just having another crack at it until I can't physically ride any more (and again going back up by car) or perhaps just stopping, having a rest and continue on in the hope I'll eventually make the top of the hill at some point. I used to ride that loop no worries years ago, but I'm almost certain I can't now.

Ultimately, cycling is the best training for cycling and I don't think all the squats and deadlifts in the world will change that.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Yeah, Friday arvo is the only time I can skive off work to hit it.

Probably wasn't all that smart doing it in 35 deg. plus temperatures last week though. Only saw one other serious looking rider, and he was going slower than me, which is really saying something!

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bahahahaha Just found the the photo I posted Waaaaay back in this thread that I took at the start of my gym going days.... Just when I was starting to hit a flat spot and beginning to wonder if my gym efforts were in vain, this was a timely reminder that I previously had the muscle definition of a drinking straw. Time lapse is approximately just over 1 year ago to now.

Attachments

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Slip (and everyone else!)

Just need a bit of direction/advice...Thought it would be best to ask here instead of BB.com as they are a bunch of tools, and this is cycling specific... Currently I'm working on a 3 day split - shoulders/legs, chest/tri, back/bi. XC/road riding twice a week. DH once a week. 1-2 days off.
I'm glad this page got bumped back up. Maxwolfie and NCR, personally from what I've learnt from experience and sifting through many pages of discussion, weights for endurance is pretty useless in the context of cycling. What sort of rep range were you doing? If it was 8-12 then I can see why you had troubles when you got back on the bike.

For most sports a more strength based program is where it's at. 1-5 reps of big weights. You won't bulk as much as you would on a bodybuilding program but you will be strong as fuck. It took me a lot of time to get my head around it and I was skeptical myself at first but it really is the best thing for sports. Train for power (speed + strength) with weights and train for your endurance on your bike, running, swimming, whatever.

Matt H put me onto it and I'm so glad he did. I've just started doing Texas Method recently after doing Starting Strength for about 8 months I think. By doing kickboxing twice a week on my "off" days I've kept a pretty good level of cardio. I'm now the fastest I've been and definitely the fittest thanks to strength training and kickboxing.

GravityGuru, looks like you've cut a lot of bodyfat pretty well but If you want to bulk up you should look into your diet. So many people say "I do weights everday and am just not seeing the results I expect". The only thing missing is diet, which is actually the most important part.

I forgot to add, weight training can be benefitial to endurance but there is a point where it will become counter productive. But this is when you are accumulating to a lot of mass thus stunting your cardio abilities, which is a much slower process on a strength program (look up types of hypertrophy).

Last edited:

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sick man!

Awesome work! That's pretty much at what I'm trying to achieve!

If you can spare afew minutes to write up a routine, diet etc etc. It would be greatly appreciated!

Epic!

Chris.
I'd say I've far from perfected my technique, but I'll put up what I'm doing anyway so you can take what you want from it and others can critique it.

Program:
At the moment I'm doing a 3 day split and hitting the gym 3 or 4 days a week.

3 sets of 10-12 for most of this stuff.

Day 1 - Chest, Tris
Day 2 - Back, Bis
Days 3- Shoulders Legs

I'll throw abs in on whichever of those days I have time to. Then if I make it in a 4th day I'll do whatever I feel like e.g Circuit program, massive core session, extra chest session. Just something diffreent so I don't get bored.

Diet:

Breakfast usually consists of a protein shake with water and a few slices of toast, consumed as I'm running to the bus to get to work.

around 10:30-11 I'll eat again. Usually either some form of chicken vegatable and rice, or tuna and peanut butter sandwiches (and no, not mixed together on the one sandwich).

2ish I'll eat again, as above.

4ish I'll usually have a tin of tuna and some bread or something in preperation for my workout.

4:30ish - Banana + Creatine

5:00 Gym

6:30-7: Post workout shake. 30g whey, 50g Dextrose, 5g creatine.

8:30ish. Dinner- Chicken and rice again usually.

(Sometimes have another protein shake before bed)

I *think* my diet is pretty adequate. I think the biggest problem with it is conistency. It goes out the window on the weekends. And the fall out of the weekend sometime follows through to monday as well.

Would Appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer on any of this!

Current weight is about 69.5 and 12% BF. I'd say my goal would be about 75 with single figure BF.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
You highlighted the point. Consistency. You need to make the efforts 90 percent of the time, maybe even more depending on your goals.

To get big gains there are sacrifices that need to be made. I am about to go through the same things. The biggest issue is making yourself accountable for your own actions. I need to tighten my diet considerably as I like you fall off the wagon on the weekends, big time. I need to find a suitable carrot to motivate me beyond the daily routine M - F and a stick to regulate my self with. Its just a little too easy to say i will make it up later w and never actually get around to it.

My biggest issue is beer at the moment. Problem with it is the social aspect as I do not drink during the week but in a situation where that is the norm... All bets are off.

I have been thinking of taking on a 3 day split for a while to get me in and out of the gym rather quickly. I enjoy my time there but spending a lot of time there is neither helpful or overly productive. Need to make my work outs more efficient. I do like the groups you have been working together in the split. Nice bang for buck work outs which is what is the shot.

As your trying to put weight on and not gain fat all i could say is make sure you are getting some good quantities of good fats to keep your testosterone levels high which is optimum for building muscle and make sure that your carbs are coming from complex sources and minimal simple sources. There is plenty of info from slip in this thread about diet. So if you haven't, go back and read. This thread has so much good info in it one could rant for days.

All in all the key is if what you are doing is working then stick with it. As long as you are keeping your intensity high and keep challenging yourself you should be able to continue with your program for a long while. When it stops working, then re-assess.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
What's your take on super setting? I was on a back/bi, chest/tri, legs/shoulders routine previously, but my PT has put my on a back/chest, legs/shoulders, bi/tri superset routine.. I.e. everything is super setted. E.g, bench press, bent over row, bench, row, bench, row, then onto something else.

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's your take on super setting? I was on a back/bi, chest/tri, legs/shoulders routine previously, but my PT has put my on a back/chest, legs/shoulders, bi/tri superset routine.. I.e. everything is super setted. E.g, bench press, bent over row, bench, row, bench, row, then onto something else.
I don't know from a muscle growth/PT perspective, but from a personal perspective... it's too f*cking hard.... Bench Press and Row's are both HUGE movements. When I finish a good set on the bench, I can hardly move, let alone back it up with rows. I'm sure there's time saving benefits, and if your still on a weight loss plan I'm sure keeping the heart rate up helps a lot. But just not for me.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Like GG kinda said there, it really depends on the lifts. For silly isolation stuff like barbell curls/calf raises/barbell curls etc. I'm sure supersetting would help you speed up your workout without any negative effects.

You'd have to be crazy/stupid to superset compound exercises though. I usually have 2-3mins rest between big lifts.