Frosty Boy or Baked Alaska?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'd go for another nice Merino based long sleeve and a windproof front gilet.
I've got the chipolatas gloves and also some sealskinz gloves.
Another option is SS Jersey and Merino arm warmers with gilet.

I've found Layering much more useful than just zips

Having said this, temps in Adelaide don't actually get low vs other areas but the ss layers combo got me through some sub zero mornings in Canberra

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I'd go for another nice Merino based long sleeve and a windproof front gilet.
I've got the chipolatas gloves and also some sealskinz gloves.
Another option is SS Jersey and Merino arm warmers with gilet.

I've found Layering much more useful than just zips

Having said this, temps in Adelaide don't actually get low vs other areas but the ss layers combo got me through some sub zero mornings in Canberra
Thanks @Ackland - similar to what Ground Effect suggested to me if you run hot while riding.

Just got back from a ride and had my current stinky long sleeve top on and had zip down and sleeves up toward the end as getting toasty so think I would um bake in a Baked Alaska.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Excavator
Thanks @Ackland - similar to what Ground Effect suggested to me if you run hot while riding.

Just got back from a ride and had my current stinky long sleeve top on and had zip down and sleeves up toward the end as getting toasty so think I would um bake in a Baked Alaska.
My Frosty Boy is a couple of years old now and doesn't have a full length zip. Bit of a pain in the rump.

Thought I'd just checked my facts and now they do. Dammit.

Another fun fact that I learnt the hard way. If you tear them, Ground Effect will happily repair them for a small fee. I put a triangle tear in the arm and they only charged $25NZ, and did such an amazing job I'm tempted to send it back for them to do the other side.

shiny

Excavator

My Frosty Boy is a couple of years old now and doesn't have a full length zip. Bit of a pain in the rump.

Thought I'd just checked my facts and now they do. Dammit.

Another fun fact that I learnt the hard way. If you tear them, Ground Effect will happily repair them for a small fee. I put a triangle tear in the arm and they only charged $25NZ, and did such an amazing job I'm tempted to send it back for them to do the other side.
Nice. Not sure which way to go and need some items to sell to fund it. They said the Baked Alaska has lightweight Merino sleeves and back and windproof front. Possibly get away with.

The Berglar looks good as no wind proof front could layer up but a bit roadie looking.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Nice. Not sure which way to go and need some items to sell to fund it. They said the Baked Alaska has lightweight Merino sleeves and back and windproof front. Possibly get away with.

The Berglar looks good as no wind proof front could layer up but a bit roadie looking.
I run both. Baked Alaska is good for those frosty cold starts that warm up. While the Frosty Boy is for the winter proper. I still run a short sleeve polypro thermal under both because the windfoil fabric is like very cold 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper

shiny

I run both. Baked Alaska is good for those frosty cold starts that warm up. While the Frosty Boy is for the winter proper. I still run a short sleeve polypro thermal under both because the windfoil fabric is like very cold 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper
Cheers, rare to have a frosty start in Adelaide. First I have heard of the windfoil acting like sandpaper.

Current thinking and I think I have probably over thought this is a Berglar top (if i can accept the roadie style) and a Thermos top when the wind is up to keep the chest warm. That way I can layer as needed. Off to sit n the corner and overthink some more.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The Mons Royale Redwoods jacket is another option, the windproof front is great, but the merino sleeves are pretty thin, not necessarily a bad thing as it's fine most of the time, but if its very cold (low single digits) and windy you will want another layer under there. Mons stuff is good quality and regularly goes on sale when new colours/models come out so keep an eye out.