Frosty Boy or Baked Alaska?

mtb1611

Seymour
Greetings. Have any of you used Ground Effect's Frosty Boy or Baked Alaska for early morning road riding or commuting in Sydney? If so, what are your opinions. I'm in the market for a new Winter riding jacket and initially thought the Frosty Boy would be the way to go, but I'm now thinking (having read some reviews) that it may be overkill for Sydney.

Any thoughts/opinions/experience/comments?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
For me I think I'd find both of them too warm. I have a GE Cadence which is too warm for anything but skiing (including night Mont Laps in Canberra - but I wasn't there in '03)
I also have a Surly merino long sleeve jersey again too warm for any pace other than a gentle pootle.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Wool jerseys rule! But my face and neck always gets cold and numb, if its really really cold:eek:

mtb1611

Seymour
Hmmmm. I'd be using it basically between 545am and 700am, and am out at Liverpool which is a few degrees cooler than the city (sometimes by 5 or 6 deg), usually average around 30kmh. I currently wear (in winter) a long sleeved Winter jersey with a goretex vest and find it just fine, but am wanting to narrow it down to one garment as opposed to wearing the two.

Then again I just found a review from a guy in WALES who reckons he won't wear his Frosty Boy if it's above zero degrees celsius!

Last edited:

joemax

Likes Dirt
I have a Baked Alaska that I've been using for commuting in Sydney. It's nice and warm on the way in (6:30 am) and I can always undo the zip for the ride home. The windfoil material keeps the cold out but it still breathes well so I don't feel like I'm overheating. I tend to wear a vest underneath which helps wick any sweat away from the skin. I think you'll be fine in one of these before 7:00 am.

The Frosty Boy is warmer. The differences are explained in the Ground Effect FAQ.

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks Joe, appreciate your advice. I'd read all the info regarding both garments on the GE site but just wanted to hear from peeps with practical experience in Sydney weather.

TysonRomero

Likes Bikes
I've just started using a Baked Alaska here in Hobart - both on and off road, day and night . It's pretty toasty. If it's anywhere above 10 C I've got the zip all the way open - unless going downhill. I used to live in W'gong so have some familiarity with Sydney conditions. I reckon you'd be right with a Baked Alaska on those odd cold mornings. Depends where you live I guess, it's plenty cooler in Rooty Hill at 6 AM in the dead of winter compared to somewhere by the water.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Another vote in favour of the Baked Alaska. I'm a bit of a Ground Effect whore by the way.
My commute is 20km to Richmond and it is a bit on the cool side now. I've used the Baked Alaska lately and it is up to the job quite easily. The lack of wind proofing on the sleeves could be a negative but I move around a bit and find it isn't required. Of an afternoon it is OK at the moment because the temperatures are low. The zip does a great job of cooling if you need it.

I tried the Storm Trooper over it the other day because I was feeling particularly sooky and it was nice to turn up to work on the hot side of comfortable instead of cold. Even with the pit zips undone and the front mostly undone it was too much when coupled with the BA.

As another option, I've used my Jetson(?) over my Submerino and it is essentially the same thing with the ability to dispose of the wind proofing if you're too hot. I don't think the Jetson is available any more but any wind proof vest will do the same.

I'm also using a set of Marzella Windstopper gloves and they make a big difference to the top I wear. Without them the tops lose their warmth properties quickly.

Hope this helps mate.

mtb1611

Seymour
Tyson and itsajoke, hanks heaps for taking the time to post your info, really helpful indeed.

I've taken the plunge and ordered a Baked Alaska; thanks to the advice that everyone has provided it seemed pretty clear that the Frosty Boy woul be too hot. It's getting cool in Liverpool of a morn so I'm looking forward to the BA's arrival; I'll be sure and provide an evaluation. Having received their catalogue for years this is the first Ground Effect item I've purchased.

Once again, thanks to all who replied and helped out.

JP

Likes Dirt
My commute is a 50km round trip from Winmalee in the Blueys down to Pemriff. The wind chill on the way down is crazy!!!
I use The phantom from GE and it's awesome. Is fairly windproof but not so much that you feel as if you're in a sauna (if that makes sense). When I need to the zip gets yanked down for extra cooling. When I start out the zip is up and the fleece collar keeps me snug. I've had mine for a while and sometimes I wish it had the full length zip like the newer model, but not so much that I'd get rid of it. Teamedup with a long sleeve, warmish jersey is all I need. The bright yellow should prevent any motorist from claiming they didn't see me. That and the 5 rear red lights, 2 front lights and reflective tape all over the bike!

mtb1611

Seymour
Well as stated I plonked for the baked Alaska and as good as it is, I wish I'd gotten the Frosty Boy! Wore it on Wed morn, was bloody cold so had a normal short sleeved jersey underneath. It needs a bit more protection on the arms, frankly I think the choice of material for the arms isn't warm enough for a cold weather jersey. It's VERY well made and comfortable though, although a little too light; a multi tool in the back pocket makes it sag a bit too much for my liking, so I'll simply stick that in with my spares in the bottle cage, easy fix.

I know it sounds like I'm bagging the Baked Alaska but it really is an excellent piece of clothing! For riding between 8-10am in Sydney winters it's the perfect garment but for pre 7am rides it just needs ot be "padded" out a bi more in the warmth department.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Well as stated I plonked for the baked Alaska and as good as it is, I wish I'd gotten the Frosty Boy!
lol.. sounds like we needed to swap, I ponied up for a Frosty Boy last year after one single digit morning in NQ where I was friggin' numb, of course never been that cold since, even when I was in NZ. It too is beautifully made but a tad too warm for me, I should have gone the Baked Alaska by the sounds of it... GE do make good kit !

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt

Macr

Likes Dirt
Not telling you to suck eggs as I can understand why you would want just one layer for ease, but the best way is to actually layer clothing. The Kiwi's and Poms seem to have it sorted with layering.

I have a Frosty Boy and find it too hot, unless it is really cold (Under 6 Degrees).

My commute is 25Km's and I go through some very cold areas. I layer up with a no longer available Lab Gear under shirt, a super Roubaix winter jersey and a ROUTE 7 Hi Vis Windproof Vest.

For the bottom half, I found a normal set of Bib shorts with a set of Prorace Windtex Coated Winter Bib Tights Without Padded Insert over the top, with a set of GE Lucifers for socks (That reminds me, I need to buy a couple more pairs)

Under the helmet I wear a Prorace Winter Under Helmet Winter Skull Cap.

A set of winter gloves as well.

Benefit of layering is you can take it off in stages as you warm up. To get it all home, I also wear a very old Camelbak Narrow Gauge (Hands up if you know what one of these look like :) ). I think the HAWG replaced it about 10 years ago. This Camelbak, no longer has a bladder and because of its thin profile is great for commuting on the bike. In the Camelbak, I pack my Fox Incline gloves (I use these on my roadie as I hate fingerless gloves), a standard jersey and socks. So if it is warmer in the afternoon when I leave, I can swap out gear, until I am happy that I am warm/cool enough.

I think I may take a look at the Baked Alaska, to fit in the gap between over kill of the frosty boy and the GE windproof Polartec vest, which they no longer make.

The layering system

mtb1611

Seymour
Hi MACR, cheers for the info mate, mucho appreciando. Basically though I wanted a jersey that will mainly be used pre-7:00am for my daily pre-work jaunts. I was hoping to find ONE garment to to do this; as I'm only out for 30km in the mornings and time is of the essence I don't have time to stop to remove (and then store) layers. Basically I just get out, go hard for an hour and then it's time for work. I wore it yesterday and it was perfect, but given that it was Saturday I didn't head off till nearly 8am.

I've been riding seriously since 1992, including a few years of a 35km each way commute, so rest assured the concept of layering and I are well-acquainted!

Last edited:

Macr

Likes Dirt
Kewl. I don't really stop to remove layers, I just unzip them. Best of luck with your search. I guess I am lucky because I have a shower/change room complex not 10m from where I work and I have 2 full length lockers as well. I normally drive Mondays and Fridays, so I can bring in uniforms on Monday and take everything left at work on Fridays.

mtb1611

Seymour
Kewl. I don't really stop to remove layers, I just unzip them. Best of luck with your search. I guess I am lucky because I have a shower/change room complex not 10m from where I work and I have 2 full length lockers as well. I normally drive Mondays and Fridays, so I can bring in uniforms on Monday and take everything left at work on Fridays.
Basically the search is over now mate, I'll make do with the BA given that it's already been delivered and used a couple of times! Must say though that it is an excellent garment, very well thought out and manufactured, tis obviously the result of a cyclist's mind.

Shower and 2 full length lockers, what a top setup! I used to be an expert in packing; I'd manage to get clothes and food for the day in my backpack, do the 35km commute and have people scratching their heads at work as to ho I managed to look (relatively) wrinkle-free!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Just got an excavator and did a huge grave dig.

Pondering a new long sleeve top for winter/colder days. Most of rides currently are crack o dawns.

Has anyone had a recent version of the Baked Alaska? I like the sound of it, Merino and Windproof front. Just worried I will get too hot.

Current set up is a cycling specific singlet base layer and a long sleeve top with quarter length zip to allow temp tweaks if I get too toasty and that’s ok for most rides but extra chilly mornings I put on a vest thingy. Current long sleeve top is very old and very stinky.

Other option is their thermos singlet with windproof front and a new long sleeve top.