Not open for further replies.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Item: 9 speed 1x crankset, ideally with chainring
Item Condition: The better the gooder
Reason for buying: Getting the On-One sorted for commuter duty
Price and price conditions: Flexible
Extra Info: I currently have a 3x XTR crankset on there (M970 I think), but due to the weird BCD, finding NW chainrings isn't easy. Maybe there is a NW out there that would fit, and yes I could probably bodge some kind of chain guide setup but I'd like something neater.

moorey

call me Mia
*the crank doesn't dictate the speed. Won't be 970's, btw, they're 104bcd...or both my sets were.
Assuming you're running the NW with a non clutched derailleur, being 9sp? Or going a 9sp clutched frankenhack?
Am I just being a dick, or do I potentially have a set for you?
Yes.

moorey

call me Mia
You'll be fine un-clutched on a commuter. In the early days, I tried NW without a clutch out on the trails. Couldn't keep the chain on.
You should get decent coin for the XTR's.
You might have old M960's. I think they were something funky like 102bcd. @The Duckmeister?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Wait what, they're actually worth something? Who needs this shit in their life?

They had some sort of cosmetic ceramic coating applied which is why they're black and rubbing back to silver.

I looked into this a while back and I'm sure I came to the conclusion that the BCD was weird.

Anyway, I'd like them gone in favour of something 1x

moorey

call me Mia
Wait what, they're actually worth something? Who needs this shit in their life?

They had some sort of cosmetic ceramic coating applied which is why they're black and rubbing back to silver.

I looked into this a while back and I'm sure I came to the conclusion that the BCD was weird.

Anyway, I'd like them gone in favour of something 1x
Crank arm near pedal will tell you model and length. XTR have a habit of doing funky proprietary things so that hipsters like @Daniel Hale can spend a ton chasing down overprices parts to save 4 grams looking like a flog.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Doesn't say anything, probably got filled in by the ceramic shit. But they are def XTR. I don't do peasant parts.

Anyway.. you were saying you might have something?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Of any interest?
Looks like what I already have?

To clarify, I have 3x cranks with an unusual BCD (I think)

@moorey is saying NW not important, and crank era and chain ring also not important? I haven’t thought about 9 speed in years, for some reason I thought the chain rings were different.

So I guess I’m just looking for some 1x cranks with a chainring.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Looks like what I already have?

To clarify, I have 3x cranks with an unusual BCD (I think)

@moorey is saying NW not important, and crank era and chain ring also not important? I haven’t thought about 9 speed in years, for some reason I thought the chain rings were different.

So I guess I’m just looking for some 1x cranks with a chainring.
No drama, saw your pic and thought they could be of use...back to the parts graveyard.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hey @Tubbsy, I've got some Aerozine aluminium cranks in 104bcd flavour. Shiny red ano. It is 2x capability but that's never stopped me doing a 1x conversion! I got these from @Plankosaurus for Mr Canary but didn't need them in the end. They have some weird flip chip pedal thread so you can set it to 175 or 170mm. Currently set at 175mm and you'll have to ask Planko how to change it!

I've got one of eBay's finest Snail NW chainrings in 30t if you need it?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thanks @Labcanary and @Dales Cannon .

Funny I just assumed that chainrings had moved on and become incompatible, seems like that’s one part of mtblyf that can still be called a ‘standard’

Red might be a bit too McDonalds on this bike @Labcanary but appreciate the offer. Flip chip pedal thread is bonkers!

@Dales Cannon slummy deore is absolutely fine, I’ll find some Ti spokey dokeys to atone for the shame

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Thanks @Labcanary and @Dales Cannon .

Funny I just assumed that chainrings had moved on and become incompatible, seems like that’s one part of mtblyf that can still be called a ‘standard’

Red might be a bit too McDonalds on this bike @Labcanary but appreciate the offer.

@Dales Cannon slummy deore is absolutely fine, I’ll find some Ti spokey dokeys to atone for the shame
I'll just tuck them back in the garage until Planko needs them back.

Lucaw

Next in line
Hey @Tubbsy, I've got some Aerozine aluminium cranks in 104bcd flavour. Shiny red ano. It is 2x capability but that's never stopped me doing a 1x conversion! I got these from @Plankosaurus for Mr Canary but didn't need them in the end. They have some weird flip chip pedal thread so you can set it to 175 or 170mm. Currently set at 175mm and you'll have to ask Planko how to change it!

I've got one of eBay's finest Snail NW chainrings in 30t if you need it?
View attachment 386835
View attachment 386836View attachment 386837
Are they a 24mm spindle? If so, how much do you want?

moorey

call me Mia
Geez, can’t a man duck out for a 2h ride without everyone generously jumping in?
I’ve got some deore without a ring if any use.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@moorey how many times does it need to be explained that this enterprise is more about shopping than riding

Status
Not open for further replies.